+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

32 wcf...how old?

I recently purchased a S&W revolver in 32 WCF. It's a 4" model with wood grips. The action is tigh and the barrel blueing is good but the frame is splotchy with most of the finish gone. The serial number is 17XXX Any body know?

Member #
    Liked
    508 times
    It looks like 1903-1905
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    A few years back, maybe six, I sent my Mdl 19 back to Smith for a tune up. I'm wondering if they still do that. I'd like to get the gun checked out and re-blued. I'm thinking this gun is un-heat treated and needs gentle loads around 900-1000 fps.

Member #
    Liked
    83 times
    RJ,

You are right about the heat treating. The rule of thumb with the .32WCF guns is that around 90,000-100,000 the cylinders were heat treated. But even then, the "HV", or "Hi-Vel" headstamped rifle-only loads should not be used in these guns. Likewise for the Dominion/CIL ammunition which is not so marked, but still very hot. Alot of Smith and Colt medium framed guns now have ringed cylinders because this ammo was used.

I seriously doubt that S&W would be able to do anything for you with regard to service or refinishing this gun. The current rule of thumb is nothing with a 5-screw frame. In any event, there are now none of the major parts your gun may need if a rework is necessary, and S&W is loath to return a gun of their manufacture if it is unsafe or unservicable.
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OK, I was given the wrong serial number it's actually 570XX. So what does that change with regard to date? Also, what are the differences between 1st, s2nd, 3rd 4th etc. changes? I've sent for the Smith book but it's gonna take about 8 days to get here.

Member #
    Liked
    7868 times
    You have a .32-20 Hand Ejector Model of 1905, 3rd Change. The changes were all pretty much internal lockwork changes except the second was for the addition of the guide pins for the star extractor. 20,499 were made between 1909 and 1915, serial started at 45201 and ended with 65700.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Links