Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Where do i get educated on AK's and AR's?

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  bluecar 
#1 ·
So, i saw this cool lookin' Ak 47....a rebel version...
. Was a 22 though.

On SHTF day....i don't think a 22 will suffice.

Where do i look to find info on the most reliable...best for the money...etc AK/AR info?

#3 ·
well - the 10 is a .308 and 15 is a .223.. big boom, smaller boom.. :D

I run an AR10 in 308 and some milsurp in 30-06, never had the call for a 223, but lots of folks seem to like 'em..

some pretty good pricing on the M&P 15's and their cousins right now - comparatively speaking..

I have always wanted an AK though - just something iconic about them..

#6 ·
You will get opinions all over the spectrum on your question.

I personally prefer the modern AR-15 pattern platform. There are a number of variations available on these. Right now, they are in fairly surplus supply in the marketplace, so you're likely to get a good deal.

I would buy one completely assembled by one of the better known names that has been in business for awhile. Stick to a 5.56mm rifle.

Colt
S&W M&P15
Bushmaster
Windham Weaponry (Bushmaster people that stayed in Windham, Maine when the company was purchased and moved to the Freedom Group in NC)
Delton
DPMS
Stag Arms

There are any number that have been around for quite a while.

Look for a M4 profile Carbine with heavy barrel, collapsible stock and the A3 receiver (flat top) to which you can add sights or a red dot.

Shoot it stock (as shipped by the manufacturer) until you have some experience with the platform. Stoner knew what he was doing

I don't own an ATI product, so cannot comment on them.

Reactions: Forester
#8 ·
I see. Ok.
I wanna accessorize it with rebel (confederate flag) stuff.
Rebel pins...dust cover...stock...everything.
I want a Rebel AK.

What models are best for custom accessories like that?

I was thinking that .22 because of ammo cost.
But yeah, a 5.56 would be better on SHTF day.

#11 · (Edited)
You can add whatever stickers you want. If you want to see how to accessorize an AK check out pictures from Khyber Pass. Those guys flat out bidazzle their AKs.

By and large all AKs are the same. They opperate the same way and field strip the same way. Most parts are interchangeable but not all and not between all countries.

If you want one you're better off sticking with 7.62x39 caliber. It's the only standard caliber between all countries that fielded the AK which means all mags are the same. Buy a Yugo mag and a Romanian rifle or a German mag and a Chinese rifle. Doesn't matter. Most of the other parts like bolt, carrier and piston will interchange as well.

5.56 is a western cartridge and was never used by Combloc countries. What this means is that they all had their own interpretation of how to make it function. While it still functions like an AK, the countries making them had their own specs. One of the biggest problems is mags. Everyone made 5.56 mags different and they don't interchange completely although some are close enough. This would mean you have to start buying mags to see what works and what doesn't.

Right now there are Yugoslav 5.56 AKs with cheap and easy to find mags. They also have a version with a AR adaptor to use AR mags. This may be the best idea if you are dead set on 5.56.

Rails on AKs are an afterthought. So if you want lights and sights you have a few options but limited. There are handguard rails. Like an AR, you swap the handguards. You can buy one that attaches to your rear sight and secures to the stock. It's hinged so you can tilt it up for cleaning but you loose the rear sight (point of attachment). Look up TWS dogleg for an idea of what I'm talking about. Then there is the original side mount but that only takes side proprietary side mounts. Some of these mounts are a one piece mount and optic but they also make mounts that have rails. These mounts sit low over the gas cover so they block the iron sights but with a flick of a lever the mount comes off.

I know it's popular to want to buy USA made but in this case, with a few exceptions, 100% US made tend to be worse. Combloc countries have been making AKs for 60 years. They have it down. US companies tend to look at it from a sales/profit making side so often they cut corners. Instead of chrome CHF barrels they use button rifling and in some cases companies have used all together wrong parts because it was, as they said it, "close enough". One company in particular used 5.56 barrels for their 5.45 caliber builds. As they said "close enough". Well yes and no. 5.56 is bigger and would nt stabalize the 5.45 bullet causing poor accuracy and key holing.

I seriously doubt most people would want a NRA or Rebel edition AK. In fact a lot of people won't buy it with an AR stock added. It would be like trying to sell a Harley with Honda and Suzuki sport bike stickers to one of the biker gangs. Or Rebel patches to sport bike racers.

#12 ·
JMO, why not buy both? An AR and an AK? both in 5.56. I have shot an AK, Norinco in 5.56. It is more accurate than the 7.62 model. I don't like to bash types of firearms cause I don't like it done to me. You know the guy at the gun shows that always makes off-hand remarks about the new firearm you just bought. It's just because he doesn't have the $$$$$ to buy one himself, JERK! The only way to find out which AK you gotta have is either buy 'em both, or shoot a friends AK. I kick myself for ever selling my Galil AKM in 5.56. That was the ultimate AK in my opinion. Israeli made and tested! Why not make a Patriot model with the Confederate flag on one side and Old Glory on the other. Either way, you gonna have fun! Keep us posted! Pics are a MUST! Cool idea. DW:cool:

#16 ·
These are the two most important things you need to learn. Don't learn by other's costly mistakes.

Never buy an AK made by either CAI Century Arms Imports) or IO (Inter Ordnance)
CAI and IO often puts together dangerous and terribly built junk AK's. Go to you tube and run a search for either AO AK 47's or IO AK47's.

The best built AK's are done by Arsenal or are converted Saiga AK's. As soon as I get home I'll look up a couple other quality brands that you can trust.

#18 ·
Watch Youtube, AK operators Union. ANY AK passing their tests has to be good. As for a really good AR, there are many but allow me to suggest a Palmetto State Armory Premium model, set up to your tastes. For that matter on AK's, you come across a square cut receiver MAK-90 at a decent price, they are really good rifles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.