Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Slide Fire SSAR-15 Bump Fire Stock on an M&P 15 Sport ?

43K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  clarkaaron27 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
I just picked up an M&P 15 Sport and I'm already looking at new toys for it !

A friend showed me this web page

Slide Fire SSAR-15 Bump Fire Stock - Ships FREE - $349.95 : Military Gun Supply, SSAR-15, Parts Kits, Surplus Guns, And More!

....and I thought that could be fun.

Now let me first say I don't know beans about these firearms, so please forgive my ignorance.
But after looking at the Sport, it appears the trigger guard, and grip are all separate pieces, as opposed to one integrated piece as the
Slide Fire piece appears to be.

So, I'm guessing the slide fire unit can't be used on the Sport, despite having the adjustable stock.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and somebody here has tried this piece out and can report back.

#2 ·
'dweller,

That money would be better spent, in my "old-guy" opinion, on mags/ammo. Also, since you seem to be seeking input, this curmudgeon thinks it's ugly. Try to avoid impulse buying for your rifle, use it, get proficient with it's "manual of arms", then decide what you can add (or subtract) to make you a more proficient rifleman.

Mike

#5 ·
Neat toy, but with practice, one can bump fire very well without having to buy a $350.00 gimmick. That being said, looks like it simply replaces the pistol grip and stock (looks like you don't have to replace the buffer tube). Should mount on a Sport no problem.

Personally, I agree wholeheartedly with Mike. Lots of ammo and practice. Find a range that rents Class III toys and blast away. ;)

#7 ·
I say what ever floats your boat or empties your wallet. Bump fire is a trick to me that wastes a lot of ammo.Like said going to a range that rents full auto firearms to people with to much money for ammo is your best bet if your fasinated with full auto fire. I tell young guys why not join the military where you get a m-16 issued to you and shoot various full auto guns.
Tactical inovations sell those twin barrel 10-22 gatlin gun conversion kits that you can make a little gatlin gun and realy crank out some ammo with legaly.Being older and a bonified cheap skate I just hear the cash register and the smell of money burning when it comes to full auto.

#8 ·
I was fortunate enough, during my enlistment in the NAV, to get to "try-on" several weapons.
With the exceptions of the, M-16, MP-5, Swedish K, and M-60 (gotta love the "pig"), I was never much enamored with selective fire. The M-14, became an "anti-aircraft" weapon after the first 2 rounds, on rock-n'-roll!

Mike

#9 ·
This sounds kind of hillbilly but you can make a useable bump-fire set up w/ only a shoestring. The whole trick is to make a loop that holds your trigger finger @ the right spot so the trigger doesn't quite reset between shots & push forward w/ your other hand. The stock you mentioned simply holds your finger in that spot. Having fired full-autos it's a kick for a while but sure eats ammo & wears out guns... you can get a 5.56 or .50 hot enough to warp barrels quicker than you'd think.

#11 · (Edited)
New guy here but not new to firearms. As long as your gun has the adj. stock the Slide Fire should work and the Slide fire is no "gimmick", it works. Now, I would also like to point out that full auto is FUN, FUN, FUN but you pay by the second. My full auto Thompson will empty a 100 drum in about 10 sec. or so. That's about $25-$30 of FUN,FUN,FUN......pretty soon it's FUN, ouch, FUN, ouch, FUN, ouch, reload, ouch. You get the point.

My advice is to buy an M & P 15/22 when you buy the Slide Fire. The price of .22's goes a long way in taking the "ouch" out of the "FUN".

#12 ·
Well, I didn't buy the bump fire stock---YET ???---

But I did buy a CMMG .22 conversion for the Sport---and am now practicing a more "rapid fire" approach with very minimal $$$ pain.
I was too dollar sensitive to even try a quick fire burst with the .556, and perhaps a bit leery of the possible downrange effects and direction with no "experience" of a cartridge that powerful.
But the .22 is great on the learning curve. I put about 150 rds of .22 through and about 50 of those were in 10-15 bursts in quite a rapid finger trigger pulling session. (25 Rd mags)
Quite fun enough at the moment!
Aiming from the hip by adjustments on the miss is pretty neat. There is a low spot in the ground behind the spinner targets I was shooting at ~ 30 Yds down range.
Since it had been raining, it had filled with water to make about a 20' x 4' puddle behind the spinner. The water spray gave me some guidance.
So then I was confident enough to try some rapid fire with the .556.
But smart enough to only load one 10 round clip !

#15 ·
Old story still valid today:

"Lieutenant we got problems the enemy is through the wire.

Are the men on semi auto sergeant.

Yes they are lieutenant.

Then there's no problem sergeant".

It's not about the amount of fire you put out it's about the accuracy of that fire.

Regards,

FlaRon

#18 ·
You got it WoodsDweller....the fun factor. Sometimes that means precision accuracy and sometimes it means throwing lead down range just for the hell of it but there will always be those among us who will turn their noses up at anyone having more fun than they think should be had. I see this type at the range on occasion, usually some ignorant old fart that doesn't know the rules or the law and thinks it's his job to keep an eye everyone. I'm an old fart myself but one that likes to have a little fun from time to time.:p

#22 ·
FlaRon
I assume your trying to make a point here but I'm many years past reading between the lines, guess I'm more of a "mean what you say......say what you mean" kinda guy.

No, haven't talked to your wife. My wife has a habit of throwing something at me when I do that. ;)

#23 ·
I remember back when I wasnt a old fart and knew every thing.The suppresive fire you speak of has been around a few thousand years starting with rocks up through spears and arrows to fire arms and artillery.Of course every old fart in this forum knows that. You hang around sport and we will teach you some stuff.

#24 ·
I say, whatever floats your boat or your wallet. Bump fire is a trick that tells me a lot ammo.Like to go to a range of fully automatic firearms to hire people with too much money on ammo the best choice is wasted when your with automatic fire Fasinated at full power. I say, why do not young men into the army, where an M-16 for you and shoot various automatic weapons.
INNOVATIONS sell tactics twins 10-22 Gatlin Gun barrel conversion kits that will be a little Gatlin gun and make a lot of ammunition that legaly.Being older and a cheap skate I hear the cash register and the smell of burning money can bonified during the coming to full car.

#26 ·
In all honesty, that slide fire stock is a waste of money. It is a cheap novelty. The same can be accomplished by bump firing from your belt loop if you feel the need to waste ammo. Ammo, mags, or a decent optic could be had for what you will waste on that thing.

#27 ·
I must agree with you (and most of the posters replying)----
I bought more mags--a 22 conversion kit--a new pistol grip---a cross-hair front sight---and a green laser (very cool !, but not really "needed")--and of course, lots of ammo --

But not a bump fire stock--and have no plans to.

At 31 cents a round for 223(best price I can find) -- That's ~ $10 a clip full--for what ? less than 15 seconds ??

Even without bump-fire. you can pull the trigger pretty quickly and still play rapid fire.
At 4 cents a round (22)--- 80 cents a clip (my .22 clips only hold 20 rounds vs 30 with the 223)---well that is still fun without the $$$ pain.
And I can pull the trigger plenty fast enough for me to get some chuckles making a plastic bucket "dance" with the .22s.
The 223's just tear up the bucket (and the budget) way too quickly.

#29 ·
I have the SW M&P Sport II. From what I've researched the item you've linked to should work with your rifle, but there are less expensive slide-fire stocks that work just as good. Here's one at Cabela's for $169.99 : Slide Fire&#8482 AR-15 Stock : Cabela's

Your post is old but I wanted to respond anyway for anyone who might have the same question.

Also, regarding the expense of ammo: Yes. It can be very expensive if used just for sport shooting. However, in this day and age you NEVER KNOW if someone with a fully automatic rifle is going to pop-up from under a manhole cover & start shooting (ISIS inspired, for example). As a former Marine, I feel safer with the CAPABILITY of fully auto if needed. Good luck to all & be safe ! Eddie J

#30 ·
As a former Marine
WOW, I've never met a "Former Marine"

Slidefire and it's clones are not automatic, by any stretch of the imagination (I'm not talking about automatic fire either) and probably won't work worth a crap in a high stress emergency situation. It takes forethought to make them work properly, and odds are the person with one in a critical situation will only be thinking about (reacting) pulling the trigger, not making the slidefire mechanism work correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.