Smith And Wesson Forums banner

6K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  Bob K 
#1 · (Edited)
642 hammer

Is it possible to swap out the hammer on a 642 to make it SA/DA?

#5 ·
Excuse me for not having more knowledge about revolvers. I assumed the frame for these revolvers were all the same, just had different hammers. My Son has two Taurus revolvers that are identical except one has a regular hammer, & the other has a bobbed hammer.

I don't even have the gun yet, picking it up in a trade today. Guess I should have waited to see what the frame really looks like. My question would have been answered , if I knew it was a internal hammer with no way to put in a different one. Wouldn't have had to bother you guys with a question.

#15 ·
...snip... Wouldn't have had to bother you guys with a question.
Questions aren't a bother here. Good group of folks. If they razz you a bit, that means you're home... welcome to the forum. :)

#6 · (Edited)
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Everyday carry
642 Concealed Hammer DA Only

Revolver Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol
60 Conventional SA/DA Hammer

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
649 Shrouded Hammer SA/DA

Hope this helps.

Semper Fi !

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks, should have waited a day to ask that question.

ANYWAY ! Picked it up this morning & ran some wadcutters through it.
No issues. Pretty snappy, will see how the +p does. Perfect front pocket
summer gun.

Thinking I'd like to get some Hogue grips for it. Not real crazy about the OEM grips.
Any suggestions ? Will the 60000 fit ?

Attachments

#17 ·
If you want to get inside it I have found a little polish and a lighter trigger return spring (many available) will do wonders for the DA stroke. For surefire (it's a self defense gun) I leave the hammer spring alone. On grips for these I prefer hard and smooth. Not as comfortable to shoot but slippery in and out of the pocket. The Hogues are big and stick on everything.
Sadly , a friend liked it and this one no longer lives here but I would gladly have another. When set up this way they seldom get shot for fun but very easy to slip in the pocket .

#18 ·
Don't mind Bobk. He's one of our many curmudgeons here. Just yanking your chain.

Great choice. The 642 is my every day carry for seven or eight months of the year. During the winter I switch to a sugar stack 9mm.

I installed the shooter's pack spring set from Wolff and have been very happy with the results. Easy to do with minimal skills.

Enjoy.

#20 · (Edited)

Attachments

#23 ·
I have been totally satisfied with any Hogue grips I have. Decided to order a set on EBAY, $18 shipped.
I like this little gun well enough that I may buy a nice set of wood grips to swap out if I ever decide to wear this as a BBQ GUN.
Open carry is legal & pretty much accepted here in Michigan.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Guess bobk just rubbed me the wrong way.

#36 ·
I used to have 2 grips for each revolver I owned.....one wood...the other rubber. As I am 'thinning the herd', I am getting rid of the wood grips, and keeping my rubber combat grips. Plus, I gave a pair of 'woodies' to friend, Greg. Just to thank him for his good advice. :D He's been very helpful at times. Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.