+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Can I fire 9mm out of m-65 with moon clips??

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Can I fire 9mm out of m-65 with moon clips??

or does this require another modification?

Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Re: Can I fire 9mm out of m-65 with moon clips??

I wouldn't. The 9mm pressure is 34084 psi, whereas the .357 magnum is 35000 psi, so that's not the issue. If it were meant to be, it would be relatively common knowledge, like .38 special in a gun chambered for .357 magnum, or .40 S&W in a REVOLVER chambered for 10mm. Just mu opinion of course.
    Chris

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
    -Christopher Columbus

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

It would never be a regular thing

I would only do it when there was no other choice in ammo....just want to be a flexible as possible..I do fire 38 spl out of it about 50% of the time...just make sure I clean it well and right after range time. I just shoot my M-65 enough to keep sharp...it is carried far more than shot. Just thinking of worst case issues....is it possible to use the 9mm if I had to without doing damage to my pistol.

Member #
    Liked
    480 times

You would have a head space problem / the 9mm rim plus the moon clip would thicker than the rim thickness of the .357 / 38 special. You would have to turn the back of the cylinder. You would probably have to ream the chambers to take the tapered 9mm cartridge. Not a huge problem but you could not go back to the 357 Magnum.
    DocZeus likes this.
    Jim

Firearms safety is no accident.
    S&WHF #242
    S&WCA #2059
    NRA Patron Life

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12531 times

I'm still kind of new at this so I will apologize in advance if I'm making waves here.
    We hear about shooters wanting to use ammo not designed for their guns quite a bit, and nobody seems to give an opinion about that choice.
    I'm not intending to sound like a know it all or smart Alec, but guns are meant to shoot a specific caliber of ammo with their design and we all know that.
    If I'm out of line here let me know.
    The forum is for opinions on ocassion as well as accurate facts all the time as needed.

So here is just another opinion!
    Why not just buy a 9mm handgun if you want to shoot off the 9mm ammo - you can get one on the cheap if you look around enough. Or get some .357 ammo for the handgun you already have.
    Ammo isn't all that expensive and you can get it just about anywhere now.
    And, it's always cool to buy another gun.
    You can get some target or cowboy loads if you want lower pressures and velocities for less recoil and noise. But the 9mm is almost equivilent in it's design to the .357 as mentioned in the earlier post.
    The .357 isn't anything to take lightly but I would never even think about shooting anything but .357 ammo out of one. You can get used to the noise and recoil pretty quick. Even using .38 special or the +P causes issues with cleaning and cylinder wear in the .357. I imagine it would certainly be much worse with the 9 mm casing size difference. You can get some 125 Gr. soft points and shoot all day with them compared to the 158's or 180's.
    Doesn't it just defeat the purpose of the gun or ammo design if you use anything other than what was built for the guns intent?
    Just sharing some of my thoughts, for what they're worth.
    Hellbent and NWDave like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

9mm out of m-65 with moon clips??

I was just checking on it..I figured there would be some issue...but you never know if you do not ask..thanks for everyone's reply's. I will stick with 357 mag ammo...save the 38's for my next S&W which I plan to get a model 60 or 649 in 38 spl....was looking at a model 38 air weight yesterday...pinned bbl about 95% plus on the finish..grips mint..$300..may go for it!
    DocZeus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

As stated before the big thing is you need a gap at the back of the cylinder to accommodate a moon clip as 9mm is rimless, and 9mm is a tapered cartridge, so you would have to make a custom cylinder for 9mm.

Also note that a 9mm bullet is .355 vs 38/357 which are .357. the 9mm would fire in a custom cylinder but would most likely not give "optimum" accuracy.

Someone was making conversions for 357 black hawks some time ago that would let them shoot all kinds of different ammo (38, 357, 9mm, 380, and other 9mm based rounds). It always struck me as an interesting concept, but in reality it would be better to just have multiple guns.
    Waidmann and DocZeus like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I guess I am missing something upstairs, as I've never understood the attraction of the 9mm thru a revolver at all. Smith, Ruger, etc. I am even more puzzled when I see a proposal like this one, wouldn't it be better to just buy one of the 9mm Smith revolvers? What is it, I think a 547?
    I am not trying to poke fun at you, please don't think I am, I am just curious why you would want to ruin a 65 in this fashion. Why spend the money converting when you don't really even know what the results would be, or if it would be done well? I would conclude you want it for a CCW/defense gun, so I don't see any problem accepting a fixed sight 547 instead.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff40
    I guess I am missing something upstairs, as I've never understood the attraction of the 9mm thru a revolver at all. Smith, Ruger, etc. I am even more puzzled when I see a proposal like this one, wouldn't it be better to just buy one of the 9mm Smith revolvers? What is it, I think a 547?
    I am not trying to poke fun at you, please don't think I am, I am just curious why you would want to ruin a 65 in this fashion. Why spend the money converting when you don't really even know what the results would be, or if it would be done well? I would conclude you want it for a CCW/defense gun, so I don't see any problem accepting a fixed sight 547 instead.
    I understand what he is going for... He wants a "shtf" "bug out" type gun that will shoot as many kinds of ammo he might come across later down the line as possible.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cutlass1972 View Post
    I understand what he is going for... He wants a "shtf" "bug out" type gun that will shoot as many kinds of ammo he might come across later down the line as possible.
    It still amazes me that few people still don't understand, is what makes American Ingunuity ? Where can you buy a 9mm caliber Revolver in 3/2013 ? Before Sandy Hook, 9mm where plentiful and cheap easlily a $12 a box of 50, .38 special where $18 . A day at the range you could save $24 easily. Not everyone is Rich in the U.S. of A . So along comes and individual wanting to have it his way, so another American say's" I'll fufill that need . Cyliders can be exchanged in your revolver pretty quickly and easily done . The .002/.003 clearance difference on the lead will not effect the accuracy as much as "others" state that it will (they never actually shot one,just here say) So I plan to , but have not yet recieved my "FFL to Manufacture".

Links