+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Model 19 barrel

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Model 19 barrel

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I need some help w/ a Model 19-4, 4-inch, nickel finish, that has a split in the forcing cone and needs a barrel replacement. I spoke with some customer reps at S&W and was informed that they no longer have Mod.19 replacement barrels and that I should probably check Gun Parts Corp. or other parts suppliers. Unfortunately, no dice on finding anything so far.

Manufactured in the late 1970s and has a pinned barrel. I assume I should also get a pinned barrel for replacement? That would mean a 19-5 barrel would not work, correct? Unfortunately, I have conflicting info on this. Will only a Mod.19 barrel work? How about a Mod.66 barrel?

Anybody know where I can get a 4 inch barrel?

My dad gave me the pistol, so it would be cheaper for me to get a new barrel rather than a new pistol.

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

Re: Model 19 barrel

Check the classifieds over on the blue forum. There was a 4" nickel barrel for sale there the other day for $100 IIRC. Good luck! Regards 18DAI.
    S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum, everything you need in a revolver, and nothing you don't.

Member #
    Liked
    186 times

I believe that either a pinned or non-pinned barrel will work. It's just that reinstalling the pin when using a non-pinned barrel takes an extra step in the repair process.

Bruce

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13207 times

Austin S&W,
    I'm sure 18DAI & I agree on this. (I hope he doesn't mind me using his name here without his permission).
    You have a something worth fixing without hesitation.
    The Combat Magnum is a great handgun that you will enjoy for a very long time when you can get it back online. It may take a while to find the barrel you need (I hope not).
    But when you do find it and have it installed it will be well worth the wait and money spent. I had a Model 14 with a bad barrel and it took me 6 weeks to find a barrel in very good condition. Another 2 weeks to get it installed and online. My gunsmith isn't too expensive so the price was really low, but still well worth the troubles to save my revolver.
    Whatever it takes be patient and make it right. $100 or even $150 for the barrel plus your gunsmith costs won't be much compared to the enjoyment you will get out of it. And since it has a family history you will appreciate what you are doing even more by repairing it.
    Good luck and please post some pics when you have it finished.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    16 times

I agree STRONGLY gearchecker Regards 18DAI
    S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum, everything you need in a revolver, and nothing you don't.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the help guys. I have a pending deal on a barrel. Just need to find a good gunsmith in my area. I live in Austin, TX and I only know of 2 gunsmiths here, one of which did some work for me a while ago, but is no longer in business. I probably ought to start a new thread and see if some folks know of a good pistolsmith in the area.

Looking forward to getting the Mod. 19 up and running again. The forcing cone split on the thing about 20 years ago, and my dad never got it fixed - just sat there broken. My last trip home I offered to take it back w/ me figuring I could just send it off to S&W......

I already told him he's not getting it back

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13207 times

Great news.
    I recommend the 158 gr. ammo. Not too harse to fire and plenty of impact results.
    Don't forget to post pictures when it's repaired.
    The best stories have happy endings like this one to come.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I plan on using 158s. 38 special. I have that brass already and the reloading components. I have a Mod. 10 and 442 as well. Factory 158s seem to work best out of both of those. Figured I'd start reloading for them.

I was never much of a fan of .357. Yes I know that sounds like heresy! Recoil, etc...I've also read here of the split forcing cone issue w/ .357 loads (mixed results as they are). But why take a chance (and go through all this again!) when I'm not that keen on .357 to begin with.

Plus I don't feel like messing w/ another caliber (I spend enough time reloading for my competition rifle shooting).

Links