+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wolff main & rebound springs added... bouncing hammer?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wolff main & rebound springs added... bouncing hammer?

Greetings, first time poster here!

I got my Smith about a month ago (first gun!) and decided to get that the gearhead in me tweaking and making some changes. I bought a Wolff mainspring and rebound spring combo. (lighter trigger version)

Question: I put the 13lb spring in and the hammer bounces back and forth after dry-firing. That doesn't seem right to me, have I assembled it back together wrong, or is this the downside to a light rebound spring? I've heard about some cartridges not setting off the primer if it is too light...

Help is appreciated. Happy shooting, folks!

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Do you have the lighter mainspring installed? Sounds like thats the cause to me, seen it before. As for trigger rebound spring, I'll go one pound below factory, no lighter.

Member #
    Liked
    3119 times
    I have also put a Wolff 13# Trigger Rebound Spring, but left the stock S&W mainspring in it......to assure it wil pop the primer. It worked perfect for me....lightened up the trigger abit, and never had a misfire. If you changed the mainspring, that is most likely the problem.

If you go too light on the rebound spring, the trigger does not reset quick enough, for rapid firing. If it does reset....then that isn't the problem. The 13# Wolff spring worked OK for me......but I don't do much rapid fire. Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 08-07-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    My n00b is showing.

I did get the lighter Wolff mainspring along with the lighter rebound springs. Can somebody tell the benefit of the lighter rebound springs in 13,14 and 15# varieties they supplied me with? Its sounds like all I needed was the lighter mainspring to accomplish my goal of a slightly lighter trigger (and smoother, as claimed).
    What is the stock lb rating on the the rebound spring?
    S&W 686 plus, 6" barrel, stainless. 38 special & .357 -- now_thats_versatility!
    Ruger 10/22 takedown

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Another question from the knowledge pool... why would somebody want a lighter main spring and say, a 13lb rebound?
    S&W 686 plus, 6" barrel, stainless. 38 special & .357 -- now_thats_versatility!
    Ruger 10/22 takedown

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    I never fool with the mainspring. I want 100% reliability from my revolvers, not risking a misfire at the worst possible time. I will use a 14 pound trigger return spring in a revolver that has been slicked up through use or judicious polishing. Leave the light springs for range pistols, not for guns you use for self defense.
    1 old 0311 and Bob K like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3119 times
    I agree with the demented one.....he uses the same thought process that I did. I have never had a problem with the 13# spring, particularly in my K22 M-17-4. It's got a great trigger pull. Bob

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Those guys who feel that they know better than the folks who designed and built the gun, go ahead and change the springs that the factory put in...For my "defense weapon", I'll keep it "stock". (I DO understand the need for a heavier recoil spring when shooting HOT loads, but still...For me, 100% function in my weapon is my goal, but that can be very "iffy" when installing lighter than "normal" springs.).
    glockman99
    Dann Fassnacht
    Hoquiam, WA
    glockman99@hotmail.com

Member #
    Liked
    3119 times
    Apparently, if you were knowledgable on the subject, you would know that........the lawyers and the state are the ones that required a heavier trigger pull. Not S&W.....when they design a gun. I don't know what the trigger pull was years ago, before the state and the lawyers began to change it....but it was a lot lighter than it is now!!!! Apparently 'those guys'.....know that, and act accordingly. one of 'those guys' Bob

Banned
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3706 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman99 View Post
    Those guys who feel that they know better than the folks who designed and built the gun, go ahead and change the springs that the factory put in...For my "defense weapon", I'll keep it "stock". (I DO understand the need for a heavier recoil spring when shooting HOT loads, but still...For me, 100% function in my weapon is my goal, but that can be very "iffy" when installing lighter than "normal" springs.).
    We're talking about revolvers, not semiautos.
    There is no recoil spring in a revolver. The main spring activates the hammer strike and the trigger rebound spring insures the double action mode of the revolver.
    I've probably only installed spring kits in 50 to 60 revolvers in the last twenty years and never had a misfire or malfunction. I did have a Wolf trigger rebound spring go soft in just a few trigger pulls, but that's it.

Links