+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

59 series top slide advanced disassembly

Hey everyone, here's a write up of how to disassemble your 59 series slide but only showing how to remove firing pin and safety. Reason is i couldn't find my proper punches to remove the extractor and i do not want to remove my rear sight because it requires a lot of heavy persuasion and i do not want to damage my sights and/or disturb my sight alignment because it is rather difficult to remove the rear sight, at least on mine it is. So for this you will need appropriate size punches and dental tools (preferably long thin ones). Again i am not responsible for any damages or negative affects you may experience. Other than that good luck and hope this helps.

1. Field Strip your gun.

2. Unscrew ambidextrous safety.
    [IMG][/IMG]

3. Requires both hands: With one punch, push down the firing pin safety lever while, at the same time, using another punch to push in the firing pin deeply. Once firing pin has been pushed in as far as it can go, hold that position with your punch while you release the firing pin safety lever. If done properly you will see the firing protrude greatly.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

4. Begin to press out the ambi safety. (Note it will not go out completely because the firing pin is still under pressure and is still catching the safety.)
    [IMG][/IMG]

5. Requires both hands: While using a thin punch or long dental pick, push down the firing pin while simultaneously pulling out the safety. You will notice that the firing pin is past the hole of the safety when the safety is able to move farther out. You can then remove dental tool (Note: be careful not to fully pull out the safety yet since there is a plunger and spring inside and will jump out if caught off guard and then will be lost in the sea of carpet.) After removing dental tool be sure to cover safety with hand and then you fully remove safety.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

6. Firing Pin Removal: Angle slide towards the table and press firing pin safety lever to eject the firing pin and spring. (Note: lever must be pressed always to fully remove firing pin and spring.)
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

7. Optional: Extractor Removal: Use appropriate size punch and punch out extractor pin from top of slide going down. Once done, slowly remove punch while covering the extractor with one hand to prevent extractor spring from getting lost.
    [IMG][/IMG]

8. Optional: Firing Pin Safety and Ejector Depressor Removal:First remove adjustable sight, be careful there are three plunger with springs (one on the left and right and one on front) so be sure to remove sight slowly and cover it with your hand. Then remove hex screw that keeps the sight mount onto the slide. Then you can drift rear sight out. Be sure to protect your sight with a thick towel as you tap it out to prevent damage. Be sure to tap sight FROM LEFT TO RIGHT (gun/barrel facing away from you). Then cover top of slide where rear sight is while fully removing rear sight to prevent springs and plungers from getting lost.
    [IMG][/IMG]

9. After appropriate cleaning you can then begin re-assembly of firing pin and safety. Begin by inserting firing pin and spring into housing.
    [IMG][/IMG]

10. Requires both hands: using one punch, press down on firing pin safety lever, then using larger side of other punch push firing pin as far as it can go and hold it there, then release firing pin safety lever. This will allow you to begin installation of safety.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

11. Begin to install safety, note how it won’t go in completely because of firing pin.
    [IMG][/IMG]

12. Requires both hands but only showing one hand because i had to hold camera: with a thin punch or long dental pick, push in firing pin while simultaneously pushing in the safety. Once you get the safety in front of firing pin you can then remove punch/dental pick.
    [IMG][/IMG]

13. To fully install safety, rotate safety counter clockwise (if looking at face of slide, the rear sight will be on the left and bottom of slide will be on the right) while keeping pressure on the safety. Note: keeping pressure while turning safety allows for the safety spring and plunger to automatically be inserted into the slide due to the cutout of the slide.
    [IMG][/IMG]

14. Rotate safety until it clicks and is in proper seated position, then you can perform function test.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

15. Then be sure to press firing pin safety lever in order to reset the firing pin. Once done, the firing pin should no longer protrude out of the hole.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

16. apply lock tite to screw, let it cure, and install ambi safety.
    [IMG][/IMG]

17. Re-assemble slide, assemble gun then perform function tests and you are done.

I hope everyone best of luck on their DIY projects and i hope you have found this write up to be helpful. However on a side note my recoil spring guide rod is having trouble staying seated in the notch on the barrel when assembling the slide and likes to jump out and fly across the room during re-assembly. This is a new guide rod from brownells and i had this problem before on my previous guide rod. If anyone can tell me some ways to keep this guide rod locked in that would be great. Here are some pics to show whats going on.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by prsabordo; 02-25-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    BTT, is this thread worthy of being a sticky

Links