+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Merwin Hulbert Co. Back in Business!

I just got my latest issue of the "Blue Press" from Dillon Precision. Inside is a full page advert for the new Merwin Hulbert Co. who are ready to continue the line of their most excellent revolvers.
    They are a little pricey though, and require a good faith deposit to order. Sounds a little shaky but they come with interchangeable barrels and cylinders, so one frame can theoretically be re-configured several ways.
    Their website: http://www.merwinhulbertco.com

You betcha I want one, but I'd like to see one first.

Member #
    Liked
    71 times

Re: Merwin Hulbert Co. Back in Business!

I had an Open Top Army in .44 WCF once with both the 3.5" and 7" barrels. Was stone, cold mint. Had a pair of old ivories on it. This gun came out of an estate in Woonsocket, RI in the early 1990's. I paid more than the current asking price for the new ones even then... I later sold it for three times what I paid.... wish I hadn't.
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Member #
    Liked
    2564 times

Think of all the older S&W's you could get for that money! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    303 times

I want one, too, Lord Slashcat!

25+ years ago, I used to see fairly nice engraved ones with Mexican eagle grips at gun shows down here - priced for a song because they weren't Colts......but I was always looking for something else....

They must've sold a lot of 'em because I always see a few at bigger gun shows now - with big price tags.

xtm

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1286 times

Hasn't this been going on for a long while now? I am wondering when they will actually make one?
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    7278 times

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    Hasn't this been going on for a long while now? I am wondering when they will actually make one?
    I wondered the same thing,
    Seems like the was a posting about them a year or so ago,,,
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

It hasn't been a long time for developing any new product and getting it out, but a lot of folks mistook trying to assess whether there was any serious buyer interest in new Merwins with a warehouse full of tens of thousands of Merwins ready to ship. Given it took Colt from 1946 to the 1980's to bring their own Single Action Army back into production after drawing on Italian parts for the 1970's one, or look at any major gunmakers' time lag to bring their own classics back into production decades later in the same factory, the impatience is surprising. Physical single action revolvers are in production now with most of the parts just needing polishing and finishes, but everything's built to order in small batches so this approach isn't thousands of basic revolvers being shipped to dealers.
    It's too pricey and narrow in appeal for that, this is for guys who get serious about buying new the fine guns of the Smith & Wesson Performance Center, Colt Custom Shop, or Freedom Arms.

Member #
    Liked
    303 times

Quote Originally Posted by Montanian
    ......Given it took Colt from 1946 to the 1980's to bring their own Single Action Army back into production after drawing on Italian parts for the 1970's...

Just exactly what Italian parts did Colt draw on for their 1970s SAAs? So far, I've never been able to mate any part from any of the brands of Spaghetti clones to a real Colt SAA - not even a mainspring or a grip screw. All seem to be metricized, threaded differently, or just plain sized differently-enough to not work.

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

Montanian,

You seem to be privy to info that is not generally known. I have seen the brag sheets on these revolvers for quite a few years and never yet seen even a prototype.
    Knowledge should be shared and not hoarded.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I work there, run the division actually. Not sure what the "brag sheets" are, Merwins impress most folks who study them. The demands to see prototypes have been interesting, so many gun manufacurers or manufacturers of any kind post pictures of their upcoming new products...not really, but you'd think so from the demands we've been hearing. Parts on the new Merwins interchange with the originals so there's no real design mystery there and seeing materials quality and precision manufacturing from a photo is tough for a metallurgical engineer or master machinist. Most of the dealers are veteran gunsmiths if that tells one anything.

Merwin customers and dealers have seen the CAD and tooling prototypes and the first ones ship in a few months after a delay from switching solutions on the barrelmaking. It has taken years to reverse engineer these and then work out how to produce them in low volumes in America at a workable price.

Website is out of date like a lot of websites and that's getting overhauled and the current catalog is a lot more helpful. Just send in a request for a catalog from the website.

Most of the customers have already owned Merwins (as well as Schofields, Russians, No.3's and the copies of those), people who appreciate Smith & Wesson engineering and manufacturing like Merwins a lot too, back in the 1870's and now.

Links