Taffin on the new Ruger 44 Special
    Gizamo

Taffin on the new Ruger 44 Special

Well, John Taffin just weighed in on the new .44 Special Ruger Blackhawk...here's what he had to say on the SingleActions forum...

YOU WON'T DISAPPOINTED. I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING BOTH VERSIONS AND THEY SHOOT EXCEPTIONALLY WELL. THEY ARE WELL PUT TOGETHER AS TO FIT AND FINISH WITH .431" CHAMBER THROATS AND .004" AND .005" B/C GAPS. REMOVING ONE LEG OF THE TRIGGER RETURN SPRING DROPPED THE 4-3/8# AND 3-5/8# PULLS DOWN TO JUST OVER TWO POUNDS. THE 5-1/2" VERSION PUTS BUFFALO BORE'S HEAVY .44 SPECIAL 255 KEITH LOAD IN ONE HOLE. THE CHECKERED GRIPS ARE FINE EVEN WITH THIS LOAD.

Dammmnnnn....

Giz

Member #
    Liked
    308 times

Re: Taffin on the new Ruger 44 Special

Ol' Skeeter would be sooo pleased! He petitioned and harped at the Ruger brass to offer this revolver/cartridge combo for decades.

xtm

Gizamo

Agreed!

A few years ago, Ruger wavered a bit. They didn't give in, but came close. They made a 5.5" Fluted barrel Super with a XR3 gripframe. In the 44 Special loading, it was a dream to shoot...

But to be fair to Old Elmer...his suggestion of " A Dragoon style Frame" for the .44 Magnum, was dead-on. I never bought in to the supposed disagreement between Skeeter and Elmer on this point. I think they were both right.

Managed to procure said Ruger above. In .44 Special loadings it is a wonderful and enjoyable handgun....Load it up to Magnums and it is a punishing beast

I am in line to buy a .44 Special...figured I owed that much to Skeeter

giz

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I just Purchased one of the New Model 44's with the 5.5" barrel. Its finish is superb and it feels great, I cant wait to take it out and break its virginity

I know its a new model cant believe I bought it. it one of the first 55 made.

Dan

Gizamo

Dan,

I am sorely disappointed in you. After all these years of abstinance, you broke down and bought a two-pinner...Shame on you...Where is your personal fortitude.

If you weren't such a good friend, I would never make this offer. Please, and dear God, before you pull the trigger on that gun ~ box it up and send it to me. I know how you'll suffer if you don't...Oh ~ the Humanity!

Your best buddy, old pal, and greatest friend...

Giz

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I bought my Ruger . 44 Special Blackhawk (4 5/8") about a month ago. It shoots great and is everything that I wanted in a .44 Special. I have two more (both 4 5/8") on order so I'll never have to be without one again.... Thanks Skeeter for educating me about the .44 Special.....

Member #
    Liked
    30 times

Those should be fine guns let's hope they sell really well & are a standard cataloged gun. Frank
    "U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Member #
    Liked
    2120 times

This Ruger is killing me! I loved everything Skeeter wrote and I have taken all of his advice to heart. I've wanted a Colt New Frontier .44 Special badly since Ruger never made the Lipseys special they're making now. Forget the Colt, I want one of these Rugers. I've contacted three dealers, including one from Lipsey's website.

Nothing, none, nada, zip, zero.

I may have to just pay the extra money and get one off GunBroker. I mean, geez, S&W fans are buying them!
    I view the world the way I see it and I see it over my front sight.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Picked mine, a 4 5/8ths, up yesterday. On the way to work this afternoon, I stopped long enough to toss 5 rounds at a target, standing, modified Weaver stance at 10 yards. 4 touching and the 5th opening the group to 3 1/2" Can't wait to work with it a little.
    Parson Colt, the preacher's kid
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.” Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

it has me drooling.
    pete

Links