+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Learn me about High-Standard Sentinel 22's.

Member #
    Liked
    1361 times

Learn me about High-Standard Sentinel 22's.

Looked at an inexpensive 22 revolver at the LGS tonight. I'm a sucker for this type thing. This one is a High-Standard Sentinel, 9 shot, 22 LR, with a 4" barrel. I believe it to be a R-106 model, (although I didn't look at it all that close because I didn't know there were a lot of variation) based on a picture I found with a google search. Nice looking little gun, decent trigger. No finish wear to speak of. S/N 1480xxx. Any idea when that might have been made?

I put it on hold, but haven't made up my mind rather to get it or not. I've never owned a High-Standard before.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7449 times
    Use the money for a down payment on a good Smith or Colt. I'm not a fan of High Standard pistols. Except for their target pistols which are semiautomatics.
    Derick likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2991 times
    My Sentinel Deluxe holds a special place in my heart as it is the only firearm that I inherited from my family. It was grandpa's, but he passed away when I was only 5 and then when grandma passed away, it went to mom. When mom passed, it became mine (although she used to let me use it on my forest excursions when I was a teenager).

It was the first pistol I learned to shoot with and still enjoy once in a while.

Trigger pull weight is fairly hefty and it's not all that accurate, but it is real fun to shoot. I've never completely stripped it down as there are more pins then screws and I don't like messing with pins. I've torn it down as far as I'm comfortable with and lubed it up and it's smooth as silk. I happen to think they're very well made and pretty sturdy little guns (for what they are).

I'd have to guess that it's from at least the 60's, but certainly can't be sure.

USMC makes a good point, but if the price is right and you're looking for a decent 22LR revolver, well it's your call.

pistola and WendyZXZ like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1361 times
    I'm not really "looking" for a 22 pistol. I've got 22 pistols. Dan Wesson and Rugers now. I've owned Smith & Wessons and Colts. I'm not interested in any more of them. I buy a lot of guns just to give them a try. If they don't work out, so what? Big deal. I move on.

The one I'm looking at looks about like your's LeMat. I was mostly wondering when it might have been made. Looks like the late 60's early 70's from what I found out on Rimfire Central after I posted here. I'll probably leave it on layaway for while, but I suspect I'll go ahead and get it. I remember thinking they were neat back in my younger days.
    For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Member #
    Liked
    3239 times
    CajunBass,
    Can't speak for the Sentinel, but I have a High Standard Double 9 . (I have a soft spot for orphan guns, H&R Sportsmans High standard ETC.. I need to double wrap the tin foil around my head because they always call out to me when I see them) any way here is my double 9 it came with all the adoption papers , box, instruc manual ETC... It's a lousy photo because I cropped the other guns out of the Photo. the D.A. triger is heavy but not horrible. the single action trigger is great, and this revolver is accurate even though it does not have the best sights, now it's no k-22 or model 34 but it is fun to shoot and I don't regret for a minute purchasing it !! with the way the way things are out there now I'm keeping my 9 round capacity revolvers !!! mine is circa 1968
    Last edited by critter; 01-04-2013 at 12:07 AM.
    WendyZXZ and pappy like this.
    NRA MEMBER

Member #
    Liked
    1361 times
    That's basically the same gun Critter. Just a different grip and a longer barrel I believe.

Yea, I know it's not a Smith & Wesson. But it cost about $150.00 so I didn't think it was for a minute. I just get a kick out of buying and trying these old examples of what was yesterday. I had a Harrington & Richardson 999 Sportsman at one time. A really fun gun. I had a Taurus 94 for a while, and some French made 22 Semi that I got for $99.00. I forget the name, but that was a nice little gun. Shot great. I kept them all a few months, shot them a few times and sold them.
    pappy likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3600 times
    CB, We have had 2 in my family group, one over fifty years. They are value for the money. No they are not match weapons and the DA is not a S&W level of smoothness. What does one expect for under $200. I doubt you will regret the purchase.

W.

Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    If you use Google you can get a lot of information on it. I got interested in mine a few months ago.
    I still have the Sentinel Deluxe 6 in. I bought in 1966 (I think). I still have the box it came in and the book on it. I also have the leather holster I bought at the same time. It shoots pretty good but has been shot little because I forgot I had it and left it at my Parents house for about 20 years. My Single Six gets the nod when I shoot 22 handguns.
    I paid $60 something for it and should retail for around $250 now.

Member #
    Liked
    1361 times
    Well I picked it up over the weekend. Not a bad little gun. I say "little" but that's not right. I was surprised to find out it's about the same size as a K-frame and fits the Uncle Mikes holster I have for K-frames perfectly. I suppose the light weight fooled me.

WendyZXZ and pappy like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3600 times
    That looks sharp. Is it one of the rarer steel frame variants?

Links