+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sapien

Thread: Tell me about the Browning BDA .380 ..................

Member #
    Liked
    11707 times

Tell me about the Browning BDA .380 ..................

Ya know when you look at a gun and say ........ hmmmm ................ that looks nice , I should have one .......

Without knowing ONE thing about the gun ?

Well I saw a Browning BDA 380 over the weekend and I am intrigued ( despite the .380 , I really don't need another caliber to stock ! ) .

So please give me some insight if you will .

Regards ,
    George , easily hypnotized when in a LGS
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Bda 380

The BDA 380 was made for Browning by Beretta (PB). They are very similar to the the Beretta model 84 except for standard ejection port and slide mounted safety/decocker. The BDA 380 was also marketed as the FN 140 DA.
    All are exceptionally nice shooters as well as beautiful examples of pistol craftmanship.
    IMO, (13+1) rounds of Gold Dot/Ranger T/similar ammo in a pistol that feels this good in your hand is a great combination.
    1 old 0311 likes this.
    Pensionato

Member #
    Liked
    2778 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sapien View Post
    The BDA 380 was made for Browning by Beretta (PB). They are very similar to the the Beretta model 84 except for standard ejection port and slide mounted safety/decocker. The BDA 380 was also marketed as the FN 140 DA.
    All are exceptionally nice shooters as well as beautiful examples of pistol craftmanship.
    IMO, (13+1) rounds of Gold Dot/Ranger T/similar ammo in a pistol that feels this good in your hand is a great combination.

+100% You will NEVER read a bad review about the BDA. Reliable as a machine can be and built like a Swiss watch.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13214 times
    George,
    I can only tell you from 2nd hand comments made by a friend of mine. So these comments must be considered heresay, and can't be held up in a court of law.

A friend of mine owns one and he carried it regularly last I knew. He said he had a difficult time finding which ammo fed properly in it.
    I remember him saying him mentioning what finally worked in it, but I'm not 100% certain of his solution. I seem to recall him saying it was Winchester Ranger.
    It's a DAO pistol that's actually not made by Browning, but made for them. It went out of production in the late 1990's if I remember correctly.
    I do remember the first time I saw it I thought it was a Beretta. It's a very solid pistol from what my friend said, so I would imagine it's a pretty good pistol all around. Last I knew my friend still had it, but that can change with the wind too.

Regards,
    Gregory

I found this info on the web and here's the link.
    Modern Firearms - FN Browning BDA380

Regards,
    Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    494 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    George,
    I can only tell you from 2nd hand comments made by a friend of mine. So these comments must be considered heresay, and can't be held up in a court of law.

A friend of mine owns one and he carried it regularly last I knew. He said he had a difficult time finding which ammo fed properly in it.
    I remember him saying him mentioning what finally worked in it, but I'm not 100% certain of his solution. I seem to recall him saying it was Winchester Ranger.
    It's a DAO pistol that's actually not made by Browning, but made for them. It went out of production in the late 1990's if I remember correctly.
    I do remember the first time I saw it I thought it was a Beretta. It's a very solid pistol from what my friend said, so I would imagine it's a pretty good pistol all around. Last I knew my friend still had it, but that can change with the wind too.

Regards,
    Gregory

I found this info on the web and here's the link.
    Modern Firearms - FN Browning BDA380

Regards,
    Gregory
    Gregory, I've owned mine since they came out in the early 1980's. I bought it overseas in Germany while stationed there. I still have her, she's DA/SA(If your friends is truly DAO, somethings broke), I havent found a .380ACP load she didn't like. I have over 20 13rd magazines, and she functions with all. If there is complaint, it would have to be her small sights, as compaired to the Beretta model 84, her cousin. Other than that I can find no wrong in her. To anyone who wants one, get one and have fun!!!!
    I have the Beretta grips on mine as the wood is somewhat thick.

BDA & PPK/s

BDA380
    US Army Retired 1976-1997

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13214 times
    I sounds like I need to see if he's still got it and find out if somethings wrong with it too.
    I remember the conversation that his only works as DAO, and he had adjusted to it.
    Another friend had a pistol she bought a couple years ago that only fired DAO. We discovered that one of the springs was mal-functioning, it was replaced and it worked fine after that. She sold the pistol shortly after it was repaired. I only wish I could remember what maker and model it was.

Is there any chance he was limp wristing it to cause those problems with feeding, and possibly slide malfunctions, making him think it was DAO?
    It's about the only thing I can think of that would give him these problems, especially on a pistol that seems to be pretty much trouble free for everybody else. I recall Corlinda & me having problems when we started shooting semi's too.

Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    494 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    I sounds like I need to see if he's still got it and find out if somethings wrong with it too.
    I remember the conversation that his only works as DAO, and he had adjusted to it.
    Another friend had a pistol she bought a couple years ago that only fired DAO. We discovered that one of the springs was mal-functioning, it was replaced and it worked fine after that. She sold the pistol shortly after it was repaired. I only wish I could remember what maker and model it was.

Is there any chance he was limp wristing it to cause those problems with feeding, and possibly slide malfunctions, making him think it was DAO?
    It's about the only thing I can think of that would give him these problems, especially on a pistol that seems to be pretty much trouble free for everybody else. I recall Corlinda & me having problems when we started shooting semi's too.

Gregory
    I'll tell you how much I love this little blaster. The one pictured is my second, as I have retired the first(Nothing wrong with her[made in 1980], she still gets a mag or two run down the pipe) for her service!! Besides she'll be going to my daughter as her first center fire pistol. Its almost impossible to limp wrist her. I've had lots an lots of folks shoot mine, and first thing out of their mouth is how good it feels in the hand.
    US Army Retired 1976-1997

Links