+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Blackhawk 357

Member #
    Liked
    9805 times

Blackhawk 357

A short time ago I wrote a three piece thread (short story forum), about rationalization; a thread in which my boyhood pal and best friend and I had rationalized acquiring our first 357 magnums. Well last week I drove down to Florida to see Tom and while there I asked Tom to display his Sturm Ruger Blackhawk so I could photo it. So here is the four and five eighths inch barrel Ruger Blackhawk, now 50 years from when he first shot the ring neck pheasant with minimal damage to this popular, (and delicious I might add), game bird. I always thought this short barrel Blackhawk was a very good choice for a *field gun*; one in which could withstand abuse and still deliver. The tight cylinder to barrel gap seemed to squeeze a trifle more velocity from a cartridge that derived its performance fromsuperior-feet- per second velocity over the 38 special high speed cartridge that had fathered the 357 Magnum. So ladies and gents, Id be interested in hearing your opinion on the 357 Blackhawk And as always pictures appreciated but not required for rendering an opinion. . . .Hank

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    East Valley, east of Phoenix, AZ. and Sometimes, New Mexico
    Liked
    4818 times
    Hi Triplelock/Hank:

I've had this Blackhawk since the late 1960's. At the time, I carried it and shot the heck out of it for several years until I put it away in the early 1970's. It hadn't seen the light of day until recently when I dug it out to see if it would fit into a holster that I'd recently acquired for a Colt SAA (it fits nicely BTW). Now that I again have it in my hands, I realize just how nice a piece it is and I'm glad that I saved it for all these years.

Next time I'm out on BLM property, I'll put a few rounds through it to remind myself how much fun I had with this piece back in the day.
    Name:  Ruger357Blackhawk3Screw2.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  85.8 KBName:  Ruger357Blackhawk3Screw1.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  89.4 KB
    For some reason I'm having trouble uploading images from ImageShack........I'm getting an error message from this forum indicating that it is not a valid URL....??? I'll try uploading pictures onto this thread via my local computer, but they may turn out to be Thumbnails and will require clicking on them to get the full size image. We'll see.............

Best Regards,

Geezer
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"..........George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    9805 times
    Thanks for checking in Geezer, like your Blackhawk, the one I have pictured isn't getting much action. Tom went handgunning for wild boar in the Seminole Indian Reservation with a Seminole guide, but he was packing his 45 Colt Blackhawk loaded to either match or exceed the 44 magnum; he bagged two. Still, I think the 357 Blackhawk is a good woods walk handgun, stout enough for protection and fun to plink with using 38 reloads. . .Hank

Member #
    Liked
    423 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldgungeezer View Post
    Next time I'm out on BLM property, I'll put a few rounds through it to remind myself how much fun I had with this piece back in the day.
    Thanks for sharing the pics everyone.

Hey Geezer .. if you see a blue Toyota FJ out around the wash east of the road into the BLM property, and some short fat guy wearing a cowboy hat and smoking a stogie, stop by and say hi! We often go out there on the weekends, early morning these days down before the heat sets in. Probably be out there on the 4th shooting with a friend of my wife's and her son. Gotta get 'em young these days before the liberals get a'hold of 'em you know!!!
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Member #
    Liked
    13019 times
    A while back I traded my secretarys husband out of a Blackhawk because it had both .357 & 9mm cylinders & I had a bunch of 9mm ammo to burn. I kept it because it really is a sweet shooter.
    pappy likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    1637 times
    My first handgun was an OM .357 Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. I truly love my Model 27, but that .357 was a fine gun, as was my late 1950's Flat Top .357. The only reason I sold the Flat Top was that it was too nice to carry around all day long, which is a prerequisite to any gun that I own. I have been thinking about getting another Ruger someday when the finances get better, and have a hard time deciding between a .357 or one of those new Flat Top .44 Specials (and then I was thrown way off by that new Flat Top .45 Colt). But you can't ask for a better and tougher gun than a Ruger .357 Blackhawk. They will hold any .357 round you can think of. You can hunt with them with no problem when loaded with those nice and long 170 grain Lyman cast #358429's that don't quite fit in the old recessed cylinders of the N-frame revolvers.
    "No people in the world ever did achieve their freedom by goody-goody talk and moral suasion: it being immutable law that all revolutions that will succeed must being in blood, whatever may answer afterward."
    Mark Twain

Member #
    Liked
    9805 times
    Thanks for your post David, interesting about the long 170 grain reloads. We, Tom and I, had started out buying the Winchester Factory 158 grain semi-wadcutters, Lubealoy coated rounds back in 1961, until we had accumulated enough empty cases to justify the expense of reloading equipment. Long bouts of gun cleaning sort of discouraged the use of soft lead bullets while reloading at magnum velocities. In fact Tom shot a rabbit with a warm 38 special load pushing a soft lead bullet, unlike the Lubealoy factory round that sailed throught the ringneck without expanding the 38 special did expand and pretty much ruined the eatibility of that particular rabbit. We were inexperienced back then and with the trial and error method we were slowly learning what worked and what didn't. . .Hank

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    East Valley, east of Phoenix, AZ. and Sometimes, New Mexico
    Liked
    4818 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFox View Post
    Thanks for sharing the pics everyone.

Hey Geezer .. if you see a blue Toyota FJ out around the wash east of the road into the BLM property, and some short fat guy wearing a cowboy hat and smoking a stogie, stop by and say hi! We often go out there on the weekends, early morning these days down before the heat sets in. Probably be out there on the 4th shooting with a friend of my wife's and her son. Gotta get 'em young these days before the liberals get a'hold of 'em you know!!!
    Hi again John Fox:

I'll most definately do that (keep an eye out for your blue Toyota FJ).

However being candid, I truly doubt that I'll be out there on the 4th because I have an out of town lady friend coming to visit around that time.......and I'll just betcha that we find some other things to do........chuckle.........On the other hand, maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.........LOL

Best Regards,

Geezer
    "During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act"..........George Orwell

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7462 times
    Those are some nice looking Black Hawk revolvers!

Single action is one of the few types of handguns we have here.
    pappy likes this.
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Like Wendy, I'm a Single Action fan. I do not have much of an accumulation (no real method to my madness) but I lean towards SAs. Love old Ruger FTs but about any SA with that "click-ity-click-click" will do just fine.

"Onward Through The Fog"

Links