+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Shells

Member #
    Liked
    10 times

Shotgun Shells

I have more shotshell reloading gear than the law allows. 28, 20, 16 and 12 gauge MEC shotshell reloading machines. No, not one with four sets of dies. Four presses, each dedicated to a particular gauge. They're all boxed up and stored away in a couple of Army foot lockers. The reason is that I can usually purchase what I need at a big box retail outlet for about the same or less than it would cost me to reload. Not only that, but I can get them at a discount after the season closes.

Does anyone still reload shotshells? I don't think I've reloaded a shotshell in more'n twenty years. I'm still working on a huge batch of 16 gauge shotshells that I reloaded when I still lived in New Mexico. And that was mucho many years ago. But, the thing is, other than 16 gauge, I haven't fired a reload in over twenty years. Not when I can get a box of shells for slightly less than five bucks at Wal-Mart.

You wanna know what the funny thing is? I still pick up my fired shotshells. I must have four or five 30 gallon garbage bags full of empty shotshells. Can't fix stupid.
    The last Boy Scout.

Gizamo
    Been wanting to get started reloading shotshells. Fun to experiment with patterning. Shooting the BP guns and having to build wad columns inside the barrel taught me how subtle changes can make a big difference in performance.

Member #
    Liked
    58 times
    I have a Mec Grabber in 12 gauge and reload for trap & sporting clays, but I don't shoot shotgun as much as I used to.
    S&WCA Member
    NRA Endowment Member
    OGCA Member

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    I started out loading 20's many years back with a Lee Loader but quickly graduated up to a Mec. Over the years, I've loaded 10's 12's. 20's and .410's. I used to load large amounts of 12 gauge shells when I was trap shooting. I also loaded copper plated 10's and 12's for hunting ducks when lead shot was legal for duck hunting. Once I quit trap shooting and non-toxic became the law for waterfowl, my days of loading 10's and 12's were over. I probably haven't loaded a 20 guage shell in some 30 years now. I still on occasion load some .410's. This is where the greatest savings come. I've been using up my copper plated lead (from duck hunting days) loading .410's. I think I've still got about 25-30 lbs of copper plated left to go. Only shooting maybe two boxes a year, I think I've got a lifetime of reloading supplies for the .410.

These days, I buy just shells when it comes to 12's or 20's. I purchased a flat of Winchester 12 guage AA's the other day for $65 at the local Dick's. Winchester has a $2/box rebate going on right now plus adding in that I can easily get $1.50-2.00 per box for the empties. That brings the shooting cost down to about $3.00/box. I can't reload for that price.

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    For casual clay shooting with 12ga. and 20ga., it's hard to beat the price of the cheap "promotional" ammo put out by Fed. Rem. and Win., but when compared to premium ammo with premium plated shot - handloading still makes sense. Particularly .410, 28ga., 16ga., and 10ga. --- any of that stuff is mucho dinero.

I buy flats of the cheap stuff in 12ga. and 20ga. for routine practice on the pigeon-thrower - but still use my MECs in .410, 16ga., and 10ga. Mag. for that stuff. Additionally, I use the 12ga. loader for bismuth waterfowl loads and for low-pressure rounds for my damascus-barrel doubles. Likewise, the 20ga. is still used for a few bismuth rounds every year, for some light-and-fast 3/4oz. loads, and for loading 2 1/2" shells (which are wickedly expensive). Plenty of logical reasons to still use the MECs around here!

I have a mix of Sizemasters and Versa-MECs, and it would be silly to have all 5 of 'em set up - plus the fact that it would take up the whole top of a long bench to do it. For a universal MEC reloading stand, I framed up a 16" x 24" section of old formica counter-top, drilled holes in the center for the presses, and added 4 rubber "feet" to hold it in place. It makes a nice portable stand that can be set aside when not in use. It is very stable and the frameing around the sides of the formica top contains any shot spills. To keep the unused MEC presses out of the way, I hang them high along the wall - just below the ceiling and above my bench.

Photo of a Versa-MEC mounted on the base with machine screws and wing-nuts, and a Sizemaster standing-by for comparison. You can see the screws meant for the Sizemaster base sticking up:

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    I've got a Lee shotshell reloader in the basement that was given to me by my Dad... wads, hulls, powder and primers. Even a big bag of No. 5 Chilled if the boys haven't used it all up with their slingshots.....

I haven't had the time nor the inclination to set it up....
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2694 times
    I just bought a used MEC 650. Cheap. I want to start reloading for target rounds just because I like reloading. I will save just a little, I think. Unless your time is worth anything.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times
    Shaun,

You know how much I hate to bring up the End Of The World As We Know It (EOTWAWKI)...

... but in a long term survival situation, being able to make your own shotshells would be a very good thing... nothing works as well for defense and foraging as a shotgun.

That's the reason I hung onto this shotshell loader...

Drew
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    Be careful when loading with that 650, Shaun! It requires all your wits during the operation - no TV, radio, or alcohol.... It wasn't quite as foolproof as the more basic MEC models, so I traded mine in.

You'll see what I mean when you get going.

xtm

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2694 times
    Drew, you're right.

XTM, yeah, it looks a lot more complicated than my old 600 Jr I used to use 20 years ago. I did download the manual and have been studying that. The loader came with a couple hundred cases and a bag of wads.

Haven't loaded anything yet. Need to pick up some shot. Prices are crazy for lead. Been looking for a bargain.

Links