Smith And Wesson Forums banner

.17 Remington

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  bobw 
#1 ·
Anyone shoot a .17 Remington? And reload for it? I recently picked up an early 70s Remington 700, 200 pieces of brass, and 300 25 grain Hornadys and am looking to reload for it. Anyone have any favorite loads? Also, any tips or secret insights about the .17? Thanks.

#2 ·
Wow, so no one shoots a .17 Remington? That's OK, I started with some reloads of 21.8 grains of IMR4895 and the 25 grain Hornady bullets. I mounted up a vintage 12x Leupold and sighted my old Remington in yesterday.

#4 ·
My Dad shot one for a while, but as I recall he said that he didn't care for the excessive windrift, barrel errosion and getting his fingers pinched when seating bullets... he went back to a bigger cartridge... the .22 Hornet.

#7 ·
.22-250 Remington......Reach w a y out and really "touch" something.
The .17's are great under perfect conditions, but I've had too much trouble in the wind for the longer shots. If the shots are around 125 yds or less, the old Ruger #3 in .22 Hornet with a Rem. 45 gr. HP and 2400 powder is just the right ticket.

#8 ·
I shoot a .17 Remington Classic that has the barrel floated and has a 12 X Leupold on it. I find it to be a very interesting cartridge. It will not do anything a 204 won't do or for sure a .223 but it is still fun. As said, wind is a problem and if you are shooting for groups on paper at 200 yards you will have a hard time seeing them. If you happen to have a windless day you will be surprised how far out you can pick a turtle of a log. The gun has NO RECOIL and I can get about 25 shots without having to clean the barrel. Have a good time with it before you get rid of it.

#9 ·
I shoot the .17 HMR which of course is totally different...except for the wind drift and you don't have to pinch your fingers reloading as there is no way to reload this cartridge. It's still a fun round with no practical use as far as I'm concerned.

Under ideal conditions it is awesomely accurate with zero recoil.

I've got a 100 yard target with 10 shots into one ragged hole smaller than a half-dime.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.