+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 44 Magnum Plus P

Gizamo

44 Magnum Plus P

In this month's handloader magazine, Brian Pearce wrote an article about Plus P 44 Magnums. In that article, he goes so far as to say that this goes beyond the normal Ruger only loadings (already heavy) and disclaims by saying these loads should only be considered in a Ruger RedHawk.

I recently posted a thread about the dangerous nature of some of these style loads in factory ammo. I think we've pushed past the envelope of handloads...when a very hot load will chamber in a normal gun. The reason for extra 10th inch in case length between a 44 special and a 44 magnum was to stop a magnum load from chambering into a weaker gun.

I consider myself a fella that likes Thumper rounds. But I wouldn't take them to this extreme unless I was willing to keep them under lock and key...or use up every reload each range session.

Anyone else of a different mind? Maybe I'm just gettin' more and more nervous given the folks that I've seen getting into the shooting sports of late. Some lack common sense and safety protocols...

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13421 times

Re: 44 Magnum Plus P

Giz,
    Has anybody calculated the differences that the Ruger can take over let's say a Model 29 in a 6" barrel length, so we know what the limits are with one over another? Aren't they close to what pressures they can regularly handle?
    Is the Ruger truly that much stronger of a revolver?
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Giz, are you saying that you think today's factory loads are hotter than ever? It's my opinion that the loads of 20-30 years ago are hotter. I've got some old Remington .38's that sure feel hotter than anything I load for that.
    "You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas." Davy Crockett

Gizamo

Cush,

Guess I'm talking about the boutique cartridge manufacter's that are producing some pretty potent stuff... to include solid bullets. The standard factory fodder is much different then the 1950's. Some of that stuff was approaching 43,500 CUP

GC,
    The Ruger in the Redhawk configuration is a tremendously robust gun. The cylinder measures 1.7805 inches. The frame is massive and has considerable steel at the barrel shank. The cylinder charge hole outside dimension is .116. The bolt notches are off center from the chamber. There is a lock inside the front of the frame and the rear of the cylinder. Ruger engineers feel it is safe at working pressures of 45-48,000 psi

Brians article was also stressing the use of 270 to 330 grain bullets.

So to answer your question...these style loadings would eventually (if not quickly) ruin a S&W...

Member #
    Liked
    7922 times

As I get older , I have less desire for recoil, excitement and unplanned events. Shooting 158 SWCs out of .357 cases with 5.5 grains of Unique with my 28 is very enjoyable and relaxing. I will leave the 'pushing of envelopes' to the younger fellas , I did my stint at it
    USAMP and Dalan like this.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by Gizamo
    Cush,

Guess I'm talking about the boutique cartridge manufacter's that are producing some pretty potent stuff... to include solid bullets. The standard factory fodder is much different then the 1950's. Some of that stuff was approaching 43,500 CUP
    Okay Steve, I'm with you know. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by azmick
    As I get older , I have less desire for recoil, excitement and unplanned events. Shooting 158 SWCs out of .357 cases with 5.5 grains of Unique with my 28 is very enjoyable and relaxing. I will leave the 'pushing of envelopes' to the younger fellas , I did my stint at it
    Mick, isn't that load a joy? That is the only .357 load I use. I'd load more of them but I'm seriously deficient with .357 brass.
    "You may all go to Hell and I will go to Texas." Davy Crockett

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

[quote="gearchecker"]-10

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13421 times

CUSH & BOBW,
    I really appreciate the answers. I've heard a lot of people comment about how hot a load their Ruger can handle, and hardy ever hear that comment coming from an S&W owner. I was just curious if it held up as more than an "I've got a bigger gun" mentality. I guess not after all.
    My M29 will only be fed standard load ammo as a rule anyway. I've never really much liked the recoil from most +P loads, so I've never considered exceeding that in any of my guns.
    Every owner has a handgun size or style to fit their hands and the Rugers never were the "Perfect Fit" in mine, so I stick with the Smith's and Springfields that fit well.
    I'll stick with what I have, and hopefully it will last thru the rest of my lifetime.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

When I read stuff like that, I also find myself thinking first about the danger of this sort of article even getting published. Its kind of surprising they'd run it, even with the disclaimer about Ruger Redhawk only.
    But even more to the point, I find myself asking WHY in the first place? Buy a .460 or a .500 if you need that much more power.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

What I don't understand is why you would want to take a revolver into rifle territory.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links