Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Hodgdon H110

6K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Hellbent 
#1 ·
Today I made up 10 rounds of .357 magnum using Hodgdon H110 powder. Going by the data on the Hodgdon website I used 21 grains with some 125 grain Hornady XTP with CCI small pistol magnum primers. The site had a starting load of 21grains and a max of 22grains (not much difference there). Since making them I've read that H110 is known to always be hot loads. Any of you ever use it and if so how did you like it? Thanks.

#2 ·
I use a lot of W296/H110 in the .357 Magnum. It should be used for top end loads only because it does not download well. That is evident from the extremely narrow load range. I use mostly 3 powders for loading most of my handgun ammo. When I'm looking for a .357 Magnum round that's not full throttle or when I'm using a lead bullet I use HS-6 instead but when you want top end performance you can't beat W296/H110.

#5 ·
Thanks for the H-6 for a lead bullet info.
You're welcome. Remember, HS-6 also works better with a magnum primer.

Many reloaders will choose to use 2400 because you can use it for hot loads and you can download it.
I prefer to use 2 powders because I also use HS-6 for a few other loads like .38 Special +P and 45 Colt ammo.

#4 ·
Hi Steve. I looked up the 125gr XTP in the Hornady manual. It shows 17.4gr starting with H110 and a max of 19.9. But, I also see the data you're seeing from Hodgdon. I don't use H110 or 296 in .357 Magnum but I do in the .357 Maximum and the 500. Personally, I wouldn't load it until I made a call to Hodgdon to verify. It's too big a difference in data for me to be comfortable with. I think there's other powders out there with more versatility for the .357.

#6 ·
So it looks like we have a powder that shouldn't be reduced but conflicting data. Hornady shows a max load that is below Hodgdon minimum load. Hmmmm, what to do? I think calling Hodgdon like Duane suggests is a good idea but they will probably stand behind their data. I checked 3 Speer manuals, #14 and 2 older ones I have and they all said the same which was a max that is below Hodgdons min. Anyone else got any other ideas?

#9 ·
I would go with the load books ONLY if the bullet they used in the data is the same exact bullet you are using. I would not worry about the data Hodgdon provides because they are the powder distributor for that powder and I'm sure their lawyers wouldn't allow them to post that data if there were any question of safety.

#12 ·
Sounds like you might be resolved, but in case anyone else is thinking about contacting the various reloading data parties here, you will want to inquire if there data is actually pressure tested in a pressure barrel. It has been my understanding over the years that Hodgdon does actually pressure test. You can absolutely find book recipes that are not pressure tested. I know I went through this a number of years ago with Sierra data v. Hodgon for something I was reloading at the time.

Craig

#14 · (Edited)
Well I shot those 10 rounds of .357 I loaded with 21gr of H110 today and all went well. They were pretty accurate and quite a hefty load. As a matter of fact the muzzle flash scorched the paper target 30' away and I am still seeing tracers like I'm having a flashback from the late 60's. Just kidding about that of course but they were a little hotter than I prefer. I didn't see any signs of too much pressure when checking the empty cartridges. Shot them in my model 686 with a 6" barrel. I think I'll see what else the H110 is good for and if I use it for .357 again I will dial it back a hair, but not much.

#18 ·
I noticed some small flecks of what I'm assuming was unburned powder in the empty cartridge and in the barrel after shooting these .357 mags a couple days ago. Is that a sign of too much powder or something else? I used magnum primers if that matters. Anybody know? Thanks.

#21 ·
Steve, I'll bet even that's going to be snappy with alot of flash! Should be a good time. You might still see some unburned powder but I'd expect those loads to perform well. Occasionally, I'll load that same bullet with 296 in the .357 Maximum just for fun. Big flash, not much recoil, but it sure sounds like it's doing something important!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.