+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Problem On Trimming 45 Colt Cases

Member #
    Liked
    1416 times

Problem On Trimming 45 Colt Cases

Getting 45 Colt cases preped for loading. Put the 45 mandrel in the RCBS rotory trimmer. Mandrel will not go into the case mouth These are only once fired cases.
    What's the trick?

Wondering if dimensions of the mandrel is off?????
    Last edited by paulwv; 05-14-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    1439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwv View Post
    Getting 45 Colt cases preped for loading. Put the 45 mandrel in the RCBS rotory trimmer. Mandrel will not go into the case mouth These are only once fired cases.
    What's the trick?

Wondering if dimensions of the mandrel is off?????
    Hey Paul,

Usually one does not trim hand gun brass. I have used this, for 30+ yrs, still sharp. Hand Case Trimmer : CH4D

Later, Mark

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Paul,
    Did you try to trim the brass after you had resized it?

I'm asking because resizing - particularly when using a tungsten carbide sizing ring - will usually reduce the ID enough to where the mandrel can't enter the case mouth.

.45 Colt brass with the deep rolled cannelure eventually requires trimming. As the cannelure irons itself out from repeated firings, the brass "grows" in length - sometimes unevenly. If this isn't evened up from time-to-time by the trimmer, it's nearly impossible to get a perfect roll-crimp on subsequent reloads. Eventually...the original cannelure is completely obliterated and the brass will probably never need trimming again - especially if it is dedicated to a single revolver.

I've run into this same "growing" issue with .38 Special brass that was originally loaded with WCs that had multiple, deep cannelures rolled onto the cases.

Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Someone told me that 45 pilots comes in different sizes, .451, .454, .458
    Looks like I got the wrong size pilot.

Thanks guys....

Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by msharley View Post
    Hey Paul,

Usually one does not trim hand gun brass. I have used this, for 30+ yrs, still sharp. Hand Case Trimmer : CH4D

Later, Mark
    Mark....I am not experienced in loading for handguns. I was thinking on just getting the cases all trimmed in uniform lengths at the get go. The loads will be for a T/C. Contender and with the little higher pressures allowable for this gun....cases "may" stretch a little too....
    msharley likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Someone told me that 45 pilots comes in different sizes, .451, .454, .458
    Looks like I got the wrong size pilot.

Thanks guys....
    Got to have the right tool for the job.....

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    I had the same problem with my .50 cal pilot for my Hornady Cam-Lock trimmer. It is indeed a trimmer pilot specifically for the .500 S&W case. Yet with my new Magtech brass (thicker than usual), it just would NOT enter the case mouth. Now I tried it on a once fired Starline case as well as a Hornady case and a Winchester case. It went it, but not without great difficulty. Yet I have no issues with my pilot for my 45Auto and 44Mag/44Spl cases. So I took the pilot and wrapped some emery cloth around it as I cranked the trimmer handle. I took off a couple thousandth's of an inch from the pilot yet it is not out of round.

Granted, I trim AFTER resizing since resizing tends to lengthen handgun cases. And I believe that the case length should be at the trim-to length just before the bullet is seated. But again, this does not happen with my 44 and 45 cases. And all my calibers are loaded using Lee dies.

Now the reason I trim is to maintain a common length. When I first began to reload, I had multiple headstamps. I also had the Lee hand case trimmer and while some of my brass was trimmed to a length of 1.275, some of my Magtech cases (range floor brass) never contacted the trimmer blades. Obviously during crimping, the crimp on those Magtech cases were minimal while my Federal and Winchester cases were crimped right. The Magtechs were at a length of 1.267. So just to keep things consistent, all my brass was trimmed to 1.267.

With regards to my unfired Magtech brass for the .500, after sizing, the lengths varied a bit so again, I trimmed them to a common length of 1.610. Now that all my brass is trimmed to a common length in its respective caliber, I only trim range brass.

Member #
    Liked
    1439 times
    Mark....I am not experienced in loading for handguns. I was thinking on just getting the cases all trimmed in uniform lengths at the get go. The loads will be for a T/C. Contender and with the little higher pressures allowable for this gun....cases "may" stretch a little too....
    Hey Paul,

When I still shot silhouette, I trimmed 44mag brass to obtain uniform crimp. A good idea. I like the C&H trimmer, because of the case holder. The case holder allows one to hold on to the brass, while performing other operations. Uniforming primer pockets/flash holes, chamfering. And once set up, cuts cases absolutely square.

Later, Mark
    paulwv likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Well, I got on the midway site and went through their inventory. They had 45 cal pilots just for rifle and pilots for pistol.
    Ordered the pilot for pistol. See what happens.
    msharley likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    220 times
    Well, I got on the midway site and went through their inventory. They had 45 cal pilots just for rifle and pilots for pistol.
    Ordered the pilot for pistol. See what happens.
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Sometimes you can get the parts from RCBS at a reduced price or even free sometimes if there is a chance it was their fault. Most .45 Colt dies come with an expander suitable for .451/.452" bullets unless you intentionally buy "Cowboy" dies which provides a .454" expander for use in ammo for older Colt revolvers. The .458" dies are usually for 45-70 ammo. If that's what you have it's a mistake because .45 Colt ammo just isn't that diameter and RCBS would have replaced the expander for free because that would be their mistake. (but I could be mistaken)
    Freedom Is Never Free
    Proud Member Of The NRA

Links