+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: How do I get a high polish on my brass?

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13419 times

How do I get a high polish on my brass?

Some of my yellow brass casings has what looks like fingerprint tarnish on it.
    I've run my vibratory tumbler for many, many hours and it just isn't going away.
    I'm using a medium coarse walnut shell media. Can somebody tell me what will work better to get my brass polished out?
    Is there something I can add to the media like Brasso or another metal polish?
    I have a few thousand casings in 7 different calibers I want to get ready for reloading, but I can't seem to get the brass polished out right.

All the help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    153 times
    Greg, I just add about 1/2 cup of liquid car polish to my fine walnut media. I let it run a half hour or so to fully mix it before tumbling brass. But you do not need to get anything expensive. The cheapest stuff like NuFinish or Turtle Wax will be fine.

Once that is done, give it about 2-3 hours in the tumbler. When it comes out, have your welding mask handy!!

Last edited by Donaldjr1969; 03-25-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added a photo

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2710 times
    I echo the above, though I don't get too anal about it. I care more about clean than shiny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    azmick and NWDave like this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1989 times
    I don't know how auto polish works in a vibratory tumbler, but in a rotary tumbler it works great. Personally I use Meguiar's Scratch X, but just about any car polish will work. As has been pointed out, add it to your media and let it mix in before putting your brass in.

Carl

​S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor

Member #
    Liked
    7922 times
    I have picked up some brass out in the desert that looked horrible. After cleaning the inside of the cases, a quick polish with some case cleaner added to the vibratory cleaner, they come out looking like I picked them up in the desert. It is the insides I care about, I have never had a case failure, failure to extract, failure to feed because the case was not shiney. BTW, I'm still using half corn cob and half rice (long grain if you must know) in the cleaner. The rice lasts a long freakin' time!
    I have used the "Dirty Desert Brass" excuse for a crappy day shooting,,, it worked, once
    NWDave likes this.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13419 times
    So Mick,
    How do you clean the insides of your cases? Do you use a drill set up, or a brush by hand?
    Oh, another question. Do you remove the primers before or after cleaning your brass?

Gregory
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13419 times
    Does anybody use the Ultrasonic cleaners? If yes, how do you like the results?
    Do you use it in conjunction with a tumbler?
    I'm just trying to figure out the best way to clean my brass. So far I only have $35 into my vibratory cleaner, so replacing it now won't be too much of an issue for me.
    Between corlinda & I we'll go thru close to 5,000 rounds a year in handgun ammo and a fair bit of rifle ammo once I get set up to reload my own .223, 30.06 and .308 Having the AR, the Garand and the M1A makes me believe I'll be shooting a fair bit of rifle ammo.

Gregory

Member #
    Liked
    7922 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    So Mick,
    How do you clean the insides of your cases? Do you use a drill set up, or a brush by hand?
    Oh, another question. Do you remove the primers before or after cleaning your brass?

Gregory
    The primers get removed after cleaning
    the inside gets cleaned in the vibrating cleaner. Rifle cases stay in it for a few hours, pistol/revolver cases for about half that. Electricity is cheap, corn cob and rice is cheap, brass polish is cheap. Compaired to a new firearm, all those are very cheap.
    Don't overload the case cleaning machine.
    Don't mix cases that will work themselves inside another.
    +P brass and regular brass weight the same every time and brand I have tryed.
    Seperate cases by brand for your rifle reloading, they are all kinds of different.
    There are plenty of revolver loads that call for magnum primers that do not need them, AA#9 and 2400 are two.
    Once you get a great load in a rifle, play with the over all length. As long as they fit in the magazine, some like long, but don't load up against the lands/grooves.

you didn't ask about the other stuff but it came off the top of my head,,, yes,,, just like my hair is doing
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    3088 times
    Gregory,

Got an ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight, about half the price of the Hornady units at Cabelas. Found a number of home made recipes on the Internet, that work pretty good. I use sonic clean, which I got at Cabelas.

The inside of the brass is like gold after treatment and the primer pockets as well. It is probably more suited to small lots, especially rifle brass you might load in small quanities.

I get pretty good results using walnut shell laced with jewlers rouge, which puts a fine polish on it. Works for the stuff I pick up in the desert. I cannot walk by brass on the ground.
    azmick likes this.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1442 times
    I use a cap full of nu-finish in with corn cob and walnut, they come out pretty shinny. The walnut is lizard bedding I picked up at a pet store.
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Links