Are Revolvers Good Defensive Arms?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Are Revolvers Good Defensive Arms?

Member #
    Liked
    126 times
    The original "Point and Click" interface.....

Member #
    Liked
    3042 times
    I've done an extensive amount of revolver shooting in my life time. All double action to the point of having at one time several M15, M19, M66 and M67 revolvers that went back to S&W for the lack of better terminology rebuild which means a substantial amount 38SPL and 357 Mag went down range.

That said my EDC is a MP9c and the revolvers are in storage. The only revolver not in storage is a M-640. I no longer see an advantage of a revolver over a semiautomatic pistol.
    19and41 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7676 times
    I prefer a revolver but being "older" now I need firepower & alotta Boolits. Good ole Model 58!
    19and41 and jeepnut like this.
    Shoot straight, Pardner!

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2396 times
    True story from LEO days:
    An elderly man ran a pawn shop near downtown located on a busy street. He had a hanging bell on the shop front door to alert him if anyone entered and he usually sat off in a side room watching t.v. He kept two loaded guns under the front counter, a 2" Colt .38 with 158 gr. RNL and a Single Action Army Colt .45 loaded with factory 250 grain RNFP lead. Two crooks quietly entered without setting off the hanging bell, went behind the counter and each found a gun. Robber #1 with the SAA entered the t.v. area and shoved the gun in the old mans chest. The man looked at his own gun and saw the robber did not have the SAA hammer cocked so he grabbed and twisted the gun, taking possession of it & breaking robber #1's index finger in the process. Robber #2 (unseen & unknown by the store owner) stepped forward and shot the store owner once in the chest with the .38. As the store owner fell, he "fanned" two rounds from the SAA at the robbers. One round missed, went through the shop front window, across 4 busy traffic street lanes, entered the breakfast shop window across the street, passed over a dozen peoples heads, entered the kitchen area, rattled some pots & pans, and was recovered on the kitchen floor. The other 250 grain .45 Colt round hit robber #2 in the hip area, passed through his body and privates and blew off one of his reproductive organs which was laying on the shop floor. Broken finger robber #1 helped seriously injured, screaming & bleeding robber #2 into the getaway car and they were later arrested at a hospital seeking medical treatment. The shop owner survived but never opened his business again due to his injuries. It sure made a believer out of me regarding the old .45 Colt round.
    19and41, Leo918, Injunbro and 10 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1500 times
    Over the years, I've been asked many times. What should we get for a home defense gun. Without fail, I've recommended a 4" revolver in .38 Special. Nearly anyone can learn to use one effectively.
    Leo @ Death Valley - S&WCA #2364

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    179 times
    I CC carry both a revolver and a semi auto at various times. I can shoot my revolvers more accurately and just as fast. Plus I do not need to think about flipping off a safety with the revolver. In most situations of self defense, you are not going to be able to shoot more than 3-5 times anyhow before the incident is over anyway. Plus, my CC revolvers use more powerful cartridges than my semi auto.
    19and41, jeepnut and Sportymonk like this.
    S&W Victory, .22LR
    S&W Model 317, .22 LR
    S&W Model 331, .32 H&R Mag
    S&W Model 60, .38 Spec
    S&W Model 60, .357 Mag

Member #
    Liked
    769 times
    In the home, it is REVOLVERS ONLY.
    I figure the issue will be resolved one way or another very quickly.
    When I am travelling it is an auto with an extra magazine.
    I figure I will have no idea as to how many assailants I might run into.
    Last edited by Retirednsmilin; 02-18-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    491 times
    Quote from the news story: "Fortunately, the “good guy with a gun” was clearly the better shot in this incident, and the now-deceased suspect didn’t so much as graze the clerk."

That pretty much says it all....
    Last edited by thomasinaz; 02-18-2017 at 09:45 AM.
    19and41, Injunbro, jeepnut and 1 others like this.
    ---------------------------------
    Tom

Member #
    Liked
    3042 times
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasinaz View Post
    Quote from the news story: "Fortunately, the “good guy with a gun” was clearly the better shot in this incident, and the now-deceased suspect didn’t so much as graze the clerk."

That pretty much says it all....
    In the NRA official publications each month there is a Armed Citizen column which is a collection of self-defense stores taken from different news sources. Usually brief and lacking in finite detail. What can be taken from the stories is the individuals that prevailed in self defense were Combative not that they were the better marksmen.
    Forester and Thewelshm like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2030 times
    ah.........duh................................is the back side of a postage stamp sticky?..............
    Injunbro, jeepnut and Sportymonk like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links