Joining up from Redondo Beach, CA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Joining up from Redondo Beach, CA

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Joining up from Redondo Beach, CA

Hello folks. Joining in from Redondo Beach, CA where shooting sports are not that easy any more.

I have been away from pistols and revolvers for many years. I shot revolvers back from the 70's through early 90's. I was recruited by Hughes Aircraft out of school and have been here ever since.

I picked up the silhouette games when I moved here. I got too busy during GWI and wasn't shooting that often and by GWII, I rarely saw my pistols. It didn't help when the better local indoor range shut and then they also blocked the public from using the San Pedro Police range.

About a year ago, I came across a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .45 Long Colt + .45 ACP, so I grabbed it thinking it would be easier to find .45 ACP at the two closest ranges, Sharpshooter and LAX.

When I pulled up on the sights, I couldn't believe how bad my close focus had become. Compared to when I last shot bullseye or silhouette with irons with ease, now I couldn't see the front sight at all. So after a sight in session at LAX, I was not thrilled about shooting irons any more. I also saw how hard getting range ammo was going to be. It was much worse than I heard. I realized the .45 ACP saved me that session, but the ideal would have been a 9mm.

Then I came across a S&W 929 a few weeks ago and grabbed it. I ordered up some moon clips and I am planning on a Weigand mount with a Burris Fastfire 3. I have also ordered up a flat of 124 grain and 115 grain FMJ ammo.

I know absolutely nothing about the 929 or what has developed since my last revolver, which was 30 years ago.

I went to LAX the other night and was shocked that the lines were so long that I would not get to shoot. So I wanted to give the new 929 a run with the iron sights and 124 grain ammo, but had to leave skunked.

I may get to give it a run this week, but I am not yet retired and cannot predict where the job sends me next. The scope should show up this week, so I will have a range report soon enough. Wish us luck.

Regards,

Dino aka RegionRat

Member #
    Liked
    5786 times
    Hey Dino,

Welcome to

Most folk are putting the "C More" sight on the 929.

A good place to obtain full moon clips and various revolver supplies is Supplies for the Revolver Enthusiast

George Martin is a real pleasure to deal with.

Later, Mark
    jeepnut and Oldgungeezer like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E. Lee

Marlinitis Symptoms: More daily.

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.........

Administrator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4008 times
    Hello and welcome!

Carl

​S&WCA | SAF | GOA Life | NRA Benefactor

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3428 times
    Welcome to the forum. It's a dang shame you didn't get a chance to shoot out there.

Member #
    Liked
    1386 times
    Welcome my brother lives in the upper northeastern corner of California where you can still shoot. Ammo may still be even harder to get in the future. He just told me he heard midway won't ship I believe next year. Might pay to save your brass to reload. But then lots of indoor ranges restrict the use of reloads. Best wishes as you try to enjoy sport. California needs a voter revolt if anything is to change for the better. Don't know if that can ever happen

Member #
    Liked
    2345 times
    Welcome from New Mexico

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7214 times
    Hi Dino, and welcome to the forum.

I hear you on eyesight... Here's a suggestion. If you have RX eyeglasses, ask your doctor to prescribe a pair of shooting glasses for you. I have a set with a fixed focus lens for my dominant eye, with the focal center at about 6 inches beyond my outstretched hand's fingertips. This works for both pistols and rifles. The non-dominant eye gets my normal RX (which is a progressive lens), which allows me to clearly see both the target and closeup reading.

This draws your eye naturally to the front sight in sharp focus when shooting.

The state in California has made it very difficult to be a responsible gun owner and regular shooter. Unreasonable business, social, environmental and zoning controls have made it very expensive and difficult to establish and operate a shooting facility. I expect many people travel to the desert and shoot (and pollute) in areas without safety controls or range management. It is a very sad state of affairs.

Here, I am one of 300 (total) members in a club established in the 1950's. We have 160 acres of land, eight controlled putdoor pistol and rifle shooting ranges, two shotgun ranges and a classroom where I volunteer teach. I'm now retired, so can shoot during the day. Mid-week I'm often the only person on the property. Our dues are $150/year and 8 hours of volunteer time.

Shooting sports don't have to be like what you're encountering at expensive overcrowded ranges. Guess that "Guns" are politically incorrect... That motivates people to let state infringe what they want. I hope that having children doesn't become politically incorrect. Imagine the parental licensing schemes they could come up with...

Anyway, welcome. Enjoy it here!
    jeepnut and Oldgungeezer like this.
    Cheers!

Marc

accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor; Member North Carolina Criminal Justice Information Network

Member #
    Liked
    2481 times
    Welcome regionrat! From the free world.
    If you can't be who you are, then you don't exist.

Member #
    Tennessee Vol retired in north central Arkansas
    Liked
    2160 times
    Welcome from Arkansas!
    Pay attention - it pays to win!

Member #
    Liked
    27510 times
    to the forums from the Wiregrass!
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links