+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: M&P 15 Sport

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

M&P 15 Sport

Look'n for a review and first-hand opinions of the M&P 15 Sport , can get a really good deal on one. I'm an AK guy, (had a Romy for years ) think'n about pick'n one up, works for a SHTF , 556 will be easier to get . Can't find a review or anyone who owns one on ar15 . Anyone know where I can get an unbias opinion ?

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Bought one a few weeks ago and have about 250 rounds through it in three range trips. So far all good. IMHO its a great value for the money. Some people seem hung up over the lack of a forward assist and dust cover. I don't feel the need for either, so I don't miss them.

Comes with a dual aperture rear sight, F marked front sight, M4 feed ramps, T marked upper receiver rail, chrome lined carrier and gas key. Gas key seems properly staked. Barrel and chamber are melonite treated, which gives a surface hardness comparable to chrome. The barrel is 1:8 twist, which I like because I couldn't decided between 1:7 and 1:9. The rifling is 5R (Smith got that capability from their acquisition of Thompson Center), which is supposed to give a better gas seal and better accuracy than the 6R rifling in milspec barrels. The combination of melonite treatment and 5R rifling should be more accurate than the more expensive chrome lined milspec barrels.

I think that Smith has a winner here and will sell a ton to people like me, first time AR buyers who want to start with something that is decent quality for a reasonable price.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks, we still had the A1's and A2's when I got out, owned a CAR-15, for 6 months back in the 80's expensive to feed. Like I said , looking for one more or less to have in case I can't get 7.62x39 someday. Don't need a "battle rifle" just an inexpensive HD carbine for back-up, even looked at the Kel-Tec's, then found this and hadn't heard anything about it. Dont really expect to, "bare-bones" guns , weather handguns or long guns get looked down upon, always been that way.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The M&P Sport should suit your needs fine. I've been shooting XM193 55 grain fmj through it with no problems. With the 1:8 twist rate, it should handle heavier weights up to the 75 grain OTM that many people like for self defense. It comes from Smith with a 30 round PMag and I bought another 30 round and a couple of 20 round PMags. All have fed reliably, locked the bolt open after the last round and dropped free when empty.

The only feature that it doesn't have and that I might be willing to spend more money for is a mid-length gas system. However, middies are hard to find and even the expensive AR's manufacturers are using mostly carbine length gas systems on their 16" barrels. Middies are becoming more popular, but are hard to find.

Otherwise, the Sport gives me everything that I need at this time.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i have the M&P sport model.
    i have taken it to the range 6 times so far and shot 100-140 rounds each time, no FTF or FTE and is very accurate. I repeat VERY accurate. only problem I had was rear site fell off once after about 300 rounds fired. I tightened it with a screwdriver and it seems to be holding well now. unfortunately you can not put locktite on these rear sites as screw is fixed in sight.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I know I'm kind of late to this post but just in case you haven't bought anything yet this is a pretty good review of the M&P 15 Sport...
     Gun Review: Smith & Wesson M&P15 Sport | The Truth About Guns

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I read the review. Good info.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm new to the forum and just bought the sport a few weeks ago. My first AR so I can't really compare it to anything, but I love it so far. Can anyone suggest a red dot for it that prices in under $150?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Look at the Vortex Strikefire. Decent red dot and u can switch from red to green.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I been lookin at getting one of these bad boys but whats the deal on them I seen some people saying they were running out and backordered everywhere is this still the case or are they caught up now and usually stocked everywhere

Links