+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: I need help with my S&W M&P 15 Sport

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I need help with my S&W M&P 15 Sport

Hi,i just got my first gun(M&P 15 Sport) and i want to add a Quad Rail to it so i can put a foregrip or a bipod on it and some other stuff.

the problem is that i dont want to remove the A2 Frontsight so i guess my options are limited so could you please recommend the right Quad Rail for my weapon?

i would really appreciate the help because i dont want to order something online that doesnt fit my weapon.

Links would help and my budget is $150 or less.

again if you can help me i would be much obliged.thanx!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Order any 'carbine length' (around 7 inches) handgaurd/quadrail. Warning: the ones that are 'free float' will require you to remove the flash hider,gas block,and delta ring or barrel nut. There are you tube videos that will show you how to put it on and it's not hard at all. You can spend as much $ as you are willing to on mods. Here is the one I have. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    And a pic.
    popscleveland likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6414 times
    Jesse,

Google Yankee Hill Machine, then call them. Tell 'um what gun you have and the barrel length. I'll bet they have just what you're after and I'll bet it takes about 2 minutes to install it.
    FWIW- a bipod without freefloat is just a fulcrum for varying your point of impact on most rifles, in my opinion. YMMV.

Here's my Bushmaster with YHM quad rail:

Name:  bushmasterPage.jpg
Views: 14191
Size:  72.4 KB

Mike
    gearchecker and popscleveland like this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    IMO it depends what you want to do with the rifle. If it is a CQB weapon the 2 piece rail will do just fine. If it is a long range varmit/target rifle, free floating would be a better option. The rails will run you about the same but free-floating is more labor intensive, requires special tools and some technical knowledge of the AR. Since this is your first gun, I would suggest going with the KISS principle. The M&P Sport is a carbine. Carbines take carbine length rails. You can put the 2 piece rail on yourself with very little technical skill and no special tools (watch the video). There is a lot of satisfaction in doing it yourself. Another suggestion, don't make a lot of changes too quickly, you have the rest of your life to play dress up with your AR. Get out and shoot her, then decide what you want her to be (for now anyway).
    gearchecker likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm brand new to this forum but I think I can help you out here. You can mount every thing you want without having to buy a quad rail. There are bipod adapters and foregrip available for the standard hand guard. As for the front sight I have had 2 different red dot sights on my gun and both aligned up with the iron sights. One was a Sight market and the other a Leapers, the are both inexpensive but work fine. The dots are not as crisp as an EO tech but for plunking the work fine. I find that I can spend my money on more important things like ammo.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I think this is a good option for a longer rail with the sight post.

There are some other big name free float versions for a lot more $$$.

Leapers, Inc. - Hunting/Shooting, Sporting Goods and Security Gear

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm probably as new to this as you, but you can mount two picatinny rails to the stock fore end. One on top and one one the bottom. As for the leapers quad rail recommended, it will get you side rails, but it won't connect to the existing top rail. You need a more sophisticated and expensive free floating quad rail system to do that. It involves removing the retaining ring between to fore end and the upper. This will give the ability to move farther forward on the top rail which is needed if you want to put say an Aimpoint Pro and a Magnifier on the gun. and keep the MBUS. Just my opinion of course. So far all I've added is the BCM Gunfighter mod 3 charge handle, a picatinny to the bottom of the forend and a cover over it until I decide on a fore grip or maybe a light. I also got an additional magazine.
    S&W M&P 15 Sport, Walther PK380, Mossberg 500, Yugo AK-47, Marlin 980V

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13041 times
    One more item of not you might want to consider is getting some rail covers to protect your hands from the sharps on the quad rails. It won't take long without them to realize how tender your hands might really be. There are many different designs, and most don't cost much at all. Any method you can use to cover those edges will be appreciated later down the road. I have the heavier UTG covers because they don't cover all of the rails at once. There are others called ladder covers because of the way they look. Always available at cheaper than dirt, Brownell's or on eBay.

Adding your rails will be pretty simple, and not all that expensive. Go slow and spend your money once. Like storyteller said earlier, you've got plenty of time to pick and choose the options you want to add. Think carefully about what you want the accessory to get you and be selective. Try to pick the right one the first time. Or like many of us you'll end up with a box of spare AR parts just collecting dust, or you'll sell them at a loss because they didn't suit your needs very well.
    If you can, talk with others that have AR's, and see what they've bought, what they still use on their rifles, and what they like the best.
    Pay close attention to what they say they bought, and don't like. Try to find out why as well. They're usually your best catalog agent.
    If you can, spend a few bucks here and there and go to a few gun shows. See what's out there and talk to the sellers about their products. They'll invariably say theirs are the best products. Just look around, and you'll get to see all the accessories available in a matter of a few hours. Then go home and consider your options without any pressure from a salesman. Then go home and consider what you've learned
    Lastly, Order the free AR catalog from Brownell's. It has every conceivable option and good descriptions off the products. You can go online and do the final research reading reviews and comments about the products your considering.
    Here is a link to the free catalog order. AR-15 CATALOG - Brownells
    I wish you well in your quest.
    Gearchecker
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Off track a little

I'm trying to take the front sight post on my sport. I have looked online and I know most frot sight posts are held with taper pins. I am having hell trying to punch them out. I became parinoid and not sure if they are taper pins at all. Any suggestions? I am trying to take if off to shave it down and add a free float handrail. I just need to get it off to get the angle grinder to it. Any help would be appreciated.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13041 times
    Lutsa,
    you need to stop what you're doing and review your plan.
    An angle grinder? What are you trying to accomplish that will require such a drastic measure as grinding something down?
    If you need to grind something down to make it fit, it's the wrong size accessory to start with.
    AR parts are slip fit. I've never once heard of doing this to make something fit onto one.
    you need to look carefully at your accessory and return or exchange ot for one that's the right size for the right application.
    If you go down the path your suggesting, you'll destroy your rifle and there's a slim chance you might cause bigger problems down the line.
    I say stop what your doing and start all over again with the correctly fitting parts.

Please take some photos of the part that's giving you trouble, with a photo or two of the part you want to put on.
    Let's see if we can make some sense of what you need to accomplish and how to do it best.

Gearchecker
    Last edited by gearchecker; 10-14-2012 at 07:17 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Links