+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P 15-22

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

M&P 15-22

Just got my new m&p 15-22 and wanted to see if anyone has one and what are some of the upgrade have done. I would like to get some things for it but don't know what i should think about getting. Thank you for the Input

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2511 times

Re: M&P 15-22

I know this rifle has generated a lot of sales and a lot of talk on some boards, but for some reason, there hasn't been much interest here. I think of getting one now and then but at this point I would rather fill vacant slots than repeats, ie I already have a semi rimfire rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times

A shop I visited today had several in the rack.... the seller has cut the prices to rock bottom. He says that the negative internet chatter has hurt the popularity of these guns...

I like the idea but I don't think there is a S&W MP-22 in my future.

At around $200, I'd rather buy a Ceiner (CMMG) or the Colt / Atchinson conversion for one of my "Real" AR's and spend the cash I save on magazines and ammo.

[youtube:2ceykc0a]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhgbnDDcYAQ[/youtube:2ceykc0a]
    ".... Evil Flourishes When Good Men Do Nothing...."

Member #
    Liked
    174 times

Smith & Wesson has had considerable trouble with the M15-22's. Feeding issues, extracting issues and OOB firing problems. Smith is also limiting what brands & types of ammo it recommends for that gun. They have redesigned the magazines and the extractor's I believe. If it were me, I would still buy one but I would wait awhile and give them a chance to sort this all out. There is so much talk about this that there is a separate sub-forum for just this gun on the "other" Smith & Wesson Forum( the "unfriendly forum"?) if you care to peek. It might be worth your while to suck it up and make a trip over there if you're really interested in what's up.

Bruce

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Granted, there were some issues with the early 15-22s, but S&W has since corrected these and mine has been flawless.....ever since I figured out that using the knobs on the side of the magazine to assist in loading is a bad thing. If you load it the wrong way (where the ammo is not staggered in the magazine) you will have FTF issues. The trick is to load it as you would an AR mag, just keep pushing them in against full spring pressure on the follower. After you do this look into the slot on the mag and make sure the bullet alignment is staggered, if any 2 consecutive rounds are lined up pointing in the same direction you did something wrong.

Since I learned this quirk I've had zero malfunctions....600+ rounds and counting. For any semi-auto .22LR that is great reliability.

Some complained that it was ammo sensitive, but my experience is it'll feed anything with a plated bullet and I only shoot plated round nose ammo out of my semi-auto's.

For those that have had issues they merely send it back without a magazine and S&W repairs it and they send back 2 new mags with it. Their service department has gotten high marks for taking care of these early flawed rifles.

Just got my trigger done and this is easily the most fun .22LR (in any configuration) I have ever shot!
    "Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting to see what they will have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ------- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    174 times

Well, I think that whether Smith & Wesson has all the bugs worked out remains to be seen although they have already made magazine, extractor and spring revisions. I'd consider buying one BUT I'd give it a little time so Smith can fully sort this out.

Bruce

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Almost wished I had waited, the new version of the M&P 15-22 has an A2 style flash hider attached.
    "Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting to see what they will have for lunch, Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ------- Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Quote Originally Posted by BruceM
    Smith & Wesson has had considerable trouble with the M15-22's. Feeding issues, extracting issues and OOB firing problems. Smith is also limiting what brands & types of ammo it recommends for that gun. They have redesigned the magazines and the extractor's I believe. If it were me, I would still buy one but I would wait awhile and give them a chance to sort this all out. There is so much talk about this that there is a separate sub-forum for just this gun on the "other" Smith & Wesson Forum( the "unfriendly forum"?) if you care to peek. It might be worth your while to suck it up and make a trip over there if you're really interested in what's up.

Bruce
    Actually, I "suck it up" just about every day over there.

AND, I have a 15-22 on order.
    Next stop 2012

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12565 times

I'm not a turn coat, but I visit the "Blue Forum" almost every day. I rarely post, but I read quite a bit. Some think they are mean spirited and exclusionary, but I've not found that to be true.
    It's simple, if you have a question ask it, and don't interject anything else. Stick to your point and don't wander. Read and re-read the posts if necessary, to get the intent and answers to your question. Be sure to respond to their posts if it's fitting.
    Be polite and gracious and they will be to you as well. I would recommend looking at their M&P 22 section for some up to date info and comments. It sure can't hurt to see what's going on with them.
    That's my $.02 worth too.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker
    Be polite and gracious and they will be to you as well.
    What BS.

Ken

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links