+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    2519 times

Why the S&W M&P 15-22 is the best .22LR carbine...

I know many of you already own a Smith & Wesson 15-22. I thought that I'd post a different thread for those that can't decide on which one to buy. We all own long guns in a higher caliber. The 15-22 offers a lower cost way to have fun at a range for the cost of $0.056/round.

First, you need accuracy. The 15-22 is good out of the box. Here at 100' (OK, I need to adjust the sights or buy glasses, or both ):

Second, we all want a gun that can be easily maintained. The 15-22 is easy. You push out the take down pin and rotate the barrel up.

Then pull out the charging handle and remove the bolt assembly:

It then takes another two minutes to breech clean the barrel and clean the bolt assembly. You replace the bolt assembly and replace the pin.

Third, you need sights that are easy to adjust. It could not be any more simple than a 15-22:

Other .22LR carbines (no names here) do not allow the bolt assembly to be removed. Some do not have a working bolt release button (it's there only for looks). You can open the bolt assembly on a 15-22 for carry (like the Army teaches) then push it to chamber a round. Here:

Yes, there is a downside. Once you get comfortable, you'll want to unload the entire magazine in a few seconds. That will cost you $1.40.

It's a darn good rifle and helps me fire a higher caliber long rifle better.
    S&W K-frames and N-frames and a few 1911 Colts

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    Nice looking little rifle you got there.

Member #
    Liked
    2776 times
    With ammo prices STILL climbing more and more of us are spending time with our .22's

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Why is the 15-22 better? Let's look at it's competition...

Hello,

Brand new to the forum. I recently traded for a new M&P 15-22. I'm poking around the forum looking for 15-22 info, and ran across this thread. To answer why the S&W M&P 15-22 is one of the best tactical .22lr carbines, it would be good to examine its competition: the Umarex Colt M4 .22lr. I used to own one.

I go by this screen name on other firearms forums, so some of you may have seen this before. These pictures were taken after I had wiped down the filth off the internals.

While cleaning out the barrel of the Umarex Colt M4 .22lr, the barrel dislocated from the action.

Umarex's owner's manual states that full disassembly of the upper is never required, ever. No need to remove the bolt for cleaning, just spray it out. I figured I was screwed either way, so I took it apart.

One of the Umarex Colt M4's selling points is the all metal construction, and little details that make it look like an M4. All of it is just looks. Here's the upper.

^ Not bad looking right? So far so good.

^ The guts. Holy piece of crud Batman!

The bolt is sandwiched in the action, and can not easily be removed for cleaning or service. In order to get to to the bolt and assembly for cleaning:

There are a few little parts in the action, that are a complete pain to get relocated. The only thing holding the pencil barrel in place is outward tension provided by screwing down the flash hider. There is nothing AR about the Umarex Colt M4 other than the outside appearance.

I was stuck with this P.O.S. I couldn't bring myself to trade it to an unsuspecting, fellow firearms enthusiast. I planned on shooting it until it broke, then using it for a target. One of my unemployed friends wanted it, even knowing how much of a P.O.S. it is. I gave it to him.

Why do I like the S&W M&P 15-22? It's the most AR-ish, inside & out, of the dedicated tactical style .22lr carbines. After one mag to get acquainted with the 15-22 with the standard sights, I shot this:

5 mags, fast fire, @ 40ft-ish. Pull trigger, rifle goes boom. No FT Feed. No FT Fire. No FT Eject.

Take down and cleaning is quick and easy.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I look foward to shooting the new Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 Peformance Center Rifle. The price will definitely be higher, but I think it will find a huge reception on the market when it is available in qty.

On a related note, the new offering from Armalite will also have a lot of draw. It is very similar to other models that offer an upper that feels likes a real m4 rifle & this new model sports a standard Armalite M4 lower allowing you to switch back to a 5.56 upper if you like. This feature separates it from every other model in the market.

Should be a good year for the 22 rifle market

Take Care
    Jason

Member #
    Liked
    2776 times
    I see where Cheaper Than Dirt has 50 round drums for the M&P15 for $79.97. Anyone know if they are reliable/work?

Member #
    Liked
    173 times
    I would like to have one, but just can't bring myself to pay that kind of money for a .22. I agree with you, Smith does a good job of putting them together.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Member #
    Liked
    2519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JaPes View Post
    The bolt is sandwiched in the action, and can not easily be removed for cleaning or service. In order to get to to the bolt and assembly for cleaning:

Take down and cleaning is quick and easy.
    You must be a smith? Or you are very good with mechanical engineering?

Just to add another thing for guys like me that couldn't attempt a complete disassembly. Like most guns, the Colt is a breech clean gun. So, without removing the cylinder, you need to run the cleaning rod down the barrel from the end of the barrel, then place a cotton patch on the rod while it's in the camber, then pull it out. Try that 10 times.

The S&W takes 30 seconds to remove the cylinder, and you clean from the breech easily.

JePas, I've had the same results with my S&W "pinger". It fires and spits out empty rounds perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by kcq1 View Post
    I see where Cheaper Than Dirt has 50 round drums for the M&P15 for $79.97. Anyone know if they are reliable/work?
    kcq1,
    How much is that per round?

I use CCI AR Tactical .22LR Copper Plated with the round nose (40 grain, 1200 FPS). A box of 375 rounds is $21.

My rifle is the standard chamber.
    GilbertsGuns.com
    I look forward to shooting the new Smith & Wesson M&P15-22 Peformance Center Rifle.
    The Performance Center M&P 15-22 is a different gun. It has a "Laney" chamber (and smaller magazine). It's a match rifle.

You can call S&W customer service at 1-800-331-0852 (ext. 2905) for their recommendations on ammo.

Here is my S&W M&P 15-22:

It also has a little different stock than the Performance Center. The barrel length looks the same to me.

They are all made in Springfield, MA, USA.
    Last edited by 1911; 08-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    S&W K-frames and N-frames and a few 1911 Colts

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
    You must be a smith? Or you are very good with mechanical engineering?

Just to add another thing for guys like me that couldn't attempt a complete disassembly. Like most guns, the Colt is a breech clean gun. So, without removing the cylinder, you need to run the cleaning rod down the barrel from the end of the barrel, then place a cotton patch on the rod while it's in the camber, then pull it out. Try that 10 times.

The S&W takes 30 seconds to remove the cylinder, and you clean from the breech easily.

JaPes, I've had the same results with my S&W "pinger". It fires and spits out empty rounds perfectly.
    LOL... you cut up the quote to make it seem as if I stated cleaning the Umarex Colt M4 piece-o-crap was easy. I wish I was a smith. I'm just a guy who's mechanically inclined. Damn thing broke. I figured I couldn't screw up the piece-o-crap any worse, and took it apart.

The thing that really frustrated me about he Umarex piece-o-crap, was the "easy" cleaning video on youtube. The Umarex spokesperson used a flexible rod to clean from the breech end. I have a flexible rod, and couldn't find a brush or patch holder short enough to clear the ejector port. I absolutely hate cleaning from the muzzle end. Then when I pushed the rod down the barrel, the tip would touch the bolt and it would release. Trying to get the bolt locked back without a functioning ping-pong paddle was a pain.

The S&W M&P 15-22 is so much better than the Umarex in every way possible. As a company, Colt should be ashamed of themselves for licensing their name to that Umarex built piece-o-crap.

I have the same model as 1911. I added some stuff to mine. Here is my 15-22

• Magpul MBUS front and rear sights
    • Magpul MAID grip
    • Magpul AFG
    • Magpul MOE stock
    • Magpul enhanced buttpad
    • Magpul BAD lever
    • UTG rubber rail covers
    • Inexpensive, push button rail mounted laser
    • BSA red dot
    • Cheap rail riser
    • Reduced power spring kit
    • Very light and careful polish of the trigger contact points

The reduced power spring kit lightens the trigger pull. I haven't had any light strikes or FT Fire with the light springs.
    Last edited by JaPes; 08-16-2011 at 11:13 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    2776 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JaPes View Post
    LOL... you cut up the quote to make it seem as if I stated cleaning the Umarex Colt M4 piece-o-crap was easy. I wish I was a smith. I'm just a guy who's mechanically inclined. Damn thing broke. I figured I couldn't screw up the piece-o-crap any worse, and took it apart.

The thing that really frustrated me about he Umarex piece-o-crap, was the "easy" cleaning video on youtube. The Umarex spokesperson used a flexible rod to clean from the breech end. I have a flexible rod, and couldn't find a brush or patch holder short enough to clear the ejector port. I absolutely hate cleaning from the muzzle end. Then when I pushed the rod down the barrel, the tip would touch the bolt and it would release. Trying to get the bolt locked back without a functioning ping-pong paddle was a pain.

The S&W M&P 15-22 is so much better than the Umarex in every way possible. As a company, Colt should be ashamed of themselves for licensing their name to that Umarex built piece-o-crap.

I have the same model as 1911. I added some stuff to mine. Here is my 15-22

• Magpul MBUS front and rear sights
    • Magpul MAID grip
    • Magpul AFG
    • Magpul MOE stock
    • Magpul enhanced buttpad
    • Magpul BAD lever
    • UTG rubber rail covers
    • Inexpensive, push button rail mounted laser
    • BSA red dot
    • Cheap rail riser
    • Reduced power spring kit
    • Very light and careful polish of the trigger contact points
    The reduced power spring kit lightens the trigger pull. I haven't had any light strikes or FT Fire with the light springs.

The Colt, and HK416 D145RS, are both made by Walther. That should explain it.

Links