Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Helping fellow citizens recognize and deal with "Fake News"

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6880 times

Helping fellow citizens recognize and deal with "Fake News"

Yesterday's presidential press conference had me thinking about the phenomenon of "Fake News" in the mainstream media.

It occurs to me that very few citizens in our culture have any experience recognizing or dealing with it.

As gun owners and gun rights supporters, we have quite specifically been dealing with this issue for decades.

Many years ago, I did a fair amount of press work for community projects I lead. I was amazed at the sloppy reporting and resulting errors in the stories that were published. Almost every story had factual errors. It was my first introduction to a "friendly press".

As a gun owner and gun rights supporter, it soon became clear that the attitude of reporters and publishers could result in intentionally misleading or factually inaccurate stories. These errors of fact or omission are motivated by hate. The progressive liberals hate us, and this powerful emotion regularly clouds their judgement and reason.

Most citizens in our culture were raised to trust in media without scrutiny. Powerful and rich newspaper publishers, television station owners and radio networks exercised complete editorial control and literally formed public opinion on every issue from war to wedding announcements.

Today, the fundamental funding mechanism for media has been badly broken by the Internet. Media publishers have struggled for decades to recover their business model, and during that period they have eliminated most of the skilled, experienced and expensive writing and reporting staff they can no longer afford.

Who is left, and what exactly ensures that they have the ethics and integrity that we would expect from a national institution?

The short answer is that relatively few serious journalists remain with paying full time jobs; the ones left need to get everyone's attention to get ahead; and many compromise their integrity to accomplish that. Their egos won't let them admit it.

Fake news is one result. What evidence have we been shown of "chaos in the executive branch"? Rumors, sure... but what factual information exists? Everyone is talking about it, but there are no demonstrable facts.

It's the same thing when our modern sporting rifles are branded "Assault Weapons". A made up name with the express goal of intimidating uninformed people. Zero integrity. Zero truth. "Gun Free Zones" make you safer. Right. Just look at the factual evidence - they draw in attackers as priority targets. Background checks are necessary to combat crime? In truth, they don't accomplish anything except to inconvenience law abiding citizens. Criminals get guns on the black market or use straw buyers. Modern terrorist organizations are selecting, recruiting and radicalizing people for their first horrific mass violence crime specifically because they can pass background checks.

Tell your non-gun friends that as gun owners, we have been at the receiving end of "Fake News" for decades. The issue is real, and every word in the mainstream media needs to be investigated for origin of the story, motivation of the writer and any demonstrable facts that exist.

Everything else is just noise.
    Cheers!

Marc

accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor

Member #
    Liked
    6988 times
    Fake news is a problem in this country now. You have to stay informed so you can pick it out and you have to use your common sense. And when it comes to the progressive democrats they are full of it.
    powrguy, mrerick, bearcat6 and 1 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12268 times
    Once humans get involved it becomes a problem.
    arky, DHENRY, mrerick and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8368 times

Cool

I Believe 1/2 of what I see & 1/2 of what I hear. I don't listen or read the news. Mr. Trump's watch, now!

powrguy and mrerick like this.
    Shoot straight, Pardner!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1040 times
    I got into it with the staff of our local paper over their "reporting".
    If you ask ask me for a quote/statement, don't condense it, don't move commas, don't add anything and don't leave things out!
    It changes the entire message.

I got burned once by one of their dim-bulb "reporters".
    Now they get a written statement.
    If they don't print it exactly as written, they will get nothing, ever. Period.
    powrguy, mrerick, Injunbro and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    3922 times
    Very well said OP. Covered the bases exactly.
    powrguy, Oldgungeezer and mrerick like this.

Member #
    Liked
    712 times
    mrerick,
    Yours is the best factual analysis of the sorry state of today's media I've seen.
    Thank you for the post.
    As an aside, I've always believed that the anonymous nature of the internet encourages the sloppy, false narrative that 'the great unwashed' buys into, hook, line and sinker.

Don
    S&WCA
    NRA Life Member
    OGCA
    RCA

CCA
    WACA

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1435 times
    Simple clue:

When the story starts with "Anonymous sources say.....", you might as well change the channel.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    6880 times
    There is impact occurring because of the "fake news" disseminated by the press.

There is a very thorough legal level discussion of the recent Immigration Ban issues and the relationship between the judiciary branch of government and the executive branch of government at:

The Arbalest QuarrelTHE STATISTS SPEARHEAD ATTACK AGAINST THE PRESIDENT'S EXECUTIVE ORDER THROUGH THE COURTS - The Arbalest Quarrel

It makes the interesting point that in this issue, the judiciary has overstepped it's bounds in taking unfounded and inappropriate action against the executive branch. All the while, "the press" is screaming that the executive branch is taking unconstitutional actions (something that they don't have the skill to determine or the credibility to publish)...

From the article:

"It is a curious matter today that the Press, which isn’t a Branch of Government at all, often operates as if it is one, explaining as the voice of conscience—which it has little of—and the voice of reason—which has none of—how it is that, in its opinion, the U.S. President has overstepped his bounds of legal authority. The Press can, perhaps, be excused its excesses. It has long since lost credibility. But, the Ninth Circuit, for its part, should know better."

Well said.
    Cheers!

Marc

accipere facile, sed sumite! - Take it easy, but take it!
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol; Personal Protection Inside and Outside the Home; Rifle; Reloading: Chief RSO
    NC DOJ Concealed Carry Instructor

Member #
    Liked
    2266 times
    Which gives rise to the GREAT question??????????????...........If you gave a liberal an ENEMA..........Would there be anything left?????????
    Jace, powrguy, DHENRY and 7 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links