Why are we still in Afghanistan? A serious question.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Why are we still in Afghanistan? A serious question.

Member #
    Liked
    17955 times

Why are we still in Afghanistan? A serious question.

I'm not trying to be cynical or a smart aleck, I simply would like to hear from someone (anyone) who can explain why US forces need to remain in Afghanistan today. What I hear from government sources is so fractured and contrary it's almost a joke. I won't ask the same question of Iraq because I can at least see that after the destabilization of the country in 2009 by a premature withdrawal of troops, ISIS formed and Iraq today provides us a regional launching pad to battle them. Don't take that to mean I'm a fan, I'm not, but at the moment it's a place we might need in the future. Afghanistan though, I don't see the value of putting American lives at risk. Bin Laden is dead, Al Queda, although not extinguished uses other countries for a base. The Taliban, like weeds, no matter what you do to exterminate them they always creep back in because the country itself simply doesn't seem to have the aptitude or desire to eliminate them by their own hand. After 15 years of clearing out the enemy, training the Afghan forces to be independent and losing way too many American lives and treasure in the effort, isn't it time to let it go?

I'm only here to listen on this particular thread, I'm not looking to debate anyone, that's not my purpose. I am truly hoping someone knows of and will communicate a sound case that answers my question. Thanks in advance!
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    7874 times
    We need to be in Afghanistan to protect them....just like every other country in the free (?) world. We need to spend our money ....to protect them. We can't allow them to protect themselves.....can we? They are totally incompetent, and we need to protect them....to further our interests in the Middle East. It's our policy.......or at least the policy of our past Presidents. (I'm being sarcastic....hope you realize it.)

I hope that Trump is going to correct this situation. Let all these countries protect themselves.......and pay for it too! I do realize that they are unwilling to fend for themselves, so we have to help them.....or they won't be our 'friends' anymore. Somebody....Russia or China or Iran will jump at the opportunity to take them over....IF we don't carry the 'big stick' to prevent that from happening. How we managed to get ourselves in the role of 'the world's savior' is from........ just being too stupid in the past. We 'set ourselves up' for this. Now.....how do we get out of it??? That....is the question. Bob
    Last edited by Bob K; 02-16-2017 at 09:00 AM.
    Blackcloud2 and msharley like this.
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    22080 times
    To support the vast and great Military-Industrial complex ?

And Bob , Russia already tried in vain to 'takeover' Afghanistan . 10 years and they fared no better than us .

Regards
    George
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2085 times
    We are still there because somebody is making money. If there wasn't a profit we wouldn't be there anymore. Hopefully the new president will put a stop to it. Who cares what will happen after we leave. Let them fend for themselves.

Member #
    Liked
    599 times
    BC2.
    I firmly believe that government policy, right or wrong, moves at a glacial pace.
    Many learned folks maintain that the bankrupting of the (former) USSR was a direct result of their almost-endless occupation of Afghanistan. It sure helped in the dismantling of the USSR.
    Our global involvements, good or bad, always have ramifications for the policy-makers, and I'll bet the big egos that make those decisions don't take kindly to admitting it's time to go.

Don
    S&WCA
    NRA Life Member
    OGCA
    RCA

CCA
    WACA

Member #
    Liked
    3251 times
    It is not how you start a war, or how you fight a war, what counts is how you end a war. Before you start, you better have an exist strategy, if not don't start it. We have not had a good exist strategy since WW2. Korea we started the war of containment thus from there we wondered into Viet-Nam. You would have thought we as a nation would have learned from that experience that nation building is not a good strategy.

Member #
    Liked
    7169 times
    Britain, later the Soviets, now us; I have been asking why since the beginning. It is a region, not a nation in the sense we understand it. A friend spent a year over there in an intel job. He referred to the president as nothing more than the mayor of Kabul. It appears we are trying to build a nation whether they want one or not; whether it is sustainable or not.

Member #
    Liked
    8143 times
    We want to prove we, The United States is Greater than russia ever was? Keep the Taliban at bay? Hmmm............
    Shoot straight, Pardner!

Member #
    Liked
    421 times
    Making sure the rich gets richer,and it good for the undertakers business!War,what is it good for, absolutely nothing? Friends only to the undertakers.
    Last edited by ifithitu; 02-15-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    #L1C4

Semper Fi.

Member #
    Liked
    2178 times
    I recently watched the movie "Charlie Wilson's War" several times because I think it's really well made. Despite it only being a movie and being written and acted by many Hollywood people "we" don't like, it's very well done and really shows the intricate nature of what we did in the 80s there by covertly arming the Afghans. The last few minutes of the movie really resonate because of a lack of exit strategy. And a lack of staying to make sure that the 50% of the population that was 14 years of age and under knew that the US is the one who helped them become free of the Soviet Union. The story of the Zen Master at the end really says it all. It's so very powerful knowing what we know about the attack of September 11th, 2001 (this movie was made after 9/11).

Gust Avrakotos is my hero. The real guy, but in the movie he was awesome too!
    msharley likes this.
    I view the world the way I see it and I see it over my front sight.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links