So far this heating season
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: So far this heating season

Member #
    Liked
    3009 times

So far this heating season

So far this heating season in our part of NC we have consumed (88)Gals of heating oil and a little under (5)Gals of kerosene. Our 10" of snow fall is receding and we are expecting tomorrow's high temperature to be in the mid/low sixties. I do not miss White Christmases' and record breaking below zero over night temperatures from when we resided in the North.

We did not trifle with shoveling and clearing out the snow from our extended entry to the main road. The previously mentioned 10" of snow is almost completely melted and besides that the John Deere is at the dealer for the winter service.

jeepnut, 19and41 and Sportymonk like this.

Member #
    Liked
    24987 times
    Had our coldest morning of the year yesterday @ 27 degrees F. Caused 1.5 hour frost delay before we could tee off. Today it's in the 70's for the rest of the week.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member | S&W Historical Foundation

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    19965 times
    We have electric heat out here, and we used 1 KW hour more of energy this year than last. We were a bit surprised because it's just Corlinda and I now, when 1 year ago we had a couple of borders we were taking care of. So it's either been colder this year, or we're keeping the heat a little higher,and the house a little warmer, now that we're getting a little older.
    We have about 30" of snow on the ground last I measuered. So it's pretty much a normal year this time around
    Last edited by gearchecker; 01-11-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5191 times
    Yesterday started at -7. Today topped out at 45.
    dennis40xnc and jeepnut like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10691 times
    -14 is our record so far this year. Hope it is the coldest of the year.

Member #
    Liked
    9352 times
    We have not had any below zero temps here in the ice box of Pennsylvania yet but then again it isnt February yet either. Ysterday we had freezing rain and the wind howled half the night ushering in a warm front. Its 41 degrees out today and supposed to be 50 thursday. The rain and warmer temps have almost wiped out the snow!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Northern CA - SF East Bay and/or Springfield, OR
    Liked
    3331 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    We have electric heat out here, and we used 1 KW hour more of energy this year than last. We were a bit surprised because it's just Corlinda and I now, when 1 year ago we had a couple of borders we were taking care of. So it's either been colder this year, or we're keeping the heat a little higher,and the house a little warmer, now that we're getting a little older.
    We have a bout 30" on the ground last I measuered. So it's pretty much a normal year this time around
    Same here... all electric house, heating and cooling is via a heat pump. My December utility bill was an eye popping $570.

Weather was not so much colder than last year, it was longer stretches of it than last year, where instead of a few days/nights at a time, it went for weeks at a time.

I used to be able to supplement using my fireplace, but use of it has been banned in my county for "air quality" reasons. In fact, fireplaces are not allowed in newly built homes, and to sell an existing home with one, it either needs to be converted to gas or permanently sealed/removed before the house can be sold.
    Blackcloud2 and Sportymonk like this.
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Political correctness: The doctrine fostered by the delusional liberals or the naïve, which attempts to promote the ideology that a turd is something that can be picked up and safely handled from the clean end.

Member #
    Liked
    3009 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gunhacker View Post
    Same here... all electric house, heating and cooling is via a heat pump. My December utility bill was an eye popping $570.
    Except for heating our house is all electric plus a water well pump. Your one month utility bill would cover our electric bill from Duke Energy for approxmently (5) months.
    jeepnut likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3689 times
    Made the mistake of building an all electric house. Bills do not approach the $500 level, but Jan & Feb usually see $225 - 250 with the same in July/Aug for AC. Finally put in 2 small ventless propane heaters in two areas of the finished basement. Ran those this week when the highs were in the low 30's and lows in the low 20's. Seemed to help a little. Only problem is, I have to feed them from two 75# tanks that get really heavy when full . Run the fireplace too in the upstairs when it is that cold. The upstairs heat pump does not come on when I have the fire going.
    dennis40xnc likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    827 times
    A little off subject but... being raised in New England I always thought that we had tough winters, until I spent a winter at the Great Lakes Naval Training in North Chicago - that's where I learned the meaning of " Freeze your a**s off". Those who wore Pea-Coats know what I'm saying !

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links