+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Gizamo

Mountain Lion... Maine

I was postin' a response to c. pierce. Got halfway thru it an my mother calls ( she lives next door ) Says where's your dog? In with me...I answer. She says there's a big cat out by the old cattle pond. Grab my 12 gauge and catch a flash of the arse end of it headin' into the apple orchard. Mister Man, it was a Mountain Lion. We've had reports of them around Varnum Pond and in Temple, pics of tracks in the snow etc... But I saw this one! Just enough of a flash to know it wasn't a native cat, danged thing was yellowish and huge....

So maybe there's more to the rumor that Maine doesn't want to know they exist. That it would change trappin' laws to protect this "Endangered Species"

I dunno, but I don't doubt what my Mother and I just saw in the last half hour or so....

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Re: Mountain Lion... Maine

I think I saw one a few weeks back around here. There not that big, but they are wild cats for sure.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2694 times

[Maine Warden}

Escaped exotic.

[/Maine Warden]

I used to be a doubter, but no more. Too many seen by very credible witnesses.

Gizamo

Shaun,

From my past posts of Winter tracks, you know me...my camera and Snowsho'in... If it's back there, I'll document it this coming season...

For now, I believe in what I saw. The question is how it might effect other things trapping or hunting related. The Wardens just might be doin' us all a favor....

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2694 times

Not doubting you at all, Steve. Just a cynical comment on the Maine and NH Fish & Game departments.

Gizamo

Shaun, never doubted your intent on your post. Damn Interenet thing...

Have to agree, the F&G departments are very tongue in cheek on this. Do you think it's more about protecting trapping laws and not wantin' to bring in the Feds...

I could support that!

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2694 times

IMO, big can o worms. I can't speak about the trapping issue but a ML would be automatically an endangered specie. Game laws would change. Logging laws and access would certainly be effected big time.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

The mountain lion is just part of nature that we need to learn to live with.

I had a home on a ridge overlooking Monterey, California. It was a rural setting for sure. On one corner of the house was a hose bib that had started dripping. I discovered the drip while investigating why the deer were congregating there. I fixed the drip, but the deer spoor lingered on. One day I heard the loudest grunting and snarling and commotion. I stepped out of the house and slipped around to the side and crouched down behind our propane tank. There was a mating pair of mountain lion in my driveway, about 30 feet from my position. I watched fascinated, and a bit fearful of moving. Eventually the female reclined on the pavement and the male turned and started to slowly walk toward me. I knew my time with them was up, so I stood fully erect and slowly backed away to the house. When the male lion saw me, he simply stopped and watched. They are magnificent animals.

I have to laugh when I hear my present neighbors expressing their fear over the Bobcats we have chasing the rabbits around our golf course. They just have no idea.
    "Yes, the guy bellowing "God damn America!" is the one vouching for Obama's Christianity. That's like saying you got sober with the help of your A.A. sponsor Lindsay Lohan." - Ann Coulter

NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

http://VegasGeorge.com

Member #
    Liked
    7897 times

Steve, I have seen three in all my years in Arizona, they seem to stay away from people and around here, prefer night activity. A friend of mine just down the road had one messing with the horses a couple years ago. It went away after some intense hunting pressure from a bunch of horse owners in the area.
    Az game and fish keeps a pretty good lid on unusual critters in Az but word gets out after a while. Jaguars and jagurundi along with bald eagles out of the 'normal' areas are good examples.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Gentlemen come to Oregon we have them in our backyards. We are over run with them. In Eugene they are even at our bus stops. If you doubt me ask longarm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links