+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Freedom Betrayed

Member #
    Liked
    2994 times

Freedom Betrayed

Here is a review of a book I just completed. It was written by a "Paulista" type named Herbert C. Hoover. I am using this link, because it is a much better review than I could ever write. The book was published in November 2011 47 ears after President Hoover's death. His family kept the project on the shelf, so that it would not alienate people. If you get the chance to read it, it applies to our world today

The American Spectator : Herbert Hoover's Long-Awaited Magnum Opus
    Dalan and WendyZXZ like this.
    "When seconds count, the police are just minutes away"
    Fidelis Ad Mortem

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Liked
    3093 times
    I regret I paid so little attention to history in the past. I never knew how vital to know what came before. I have doing remedial assignments the past few years. This is an interesting article, and worth a read.

In today's revisionist times, history is in flux. Mr. Obama paints a nice picture of the past few, including the bi-partisan effort on health care. Uh huh.
    Crazybastid83 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7579 times
    "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" - George Santayana
    Dalan and Crazybastid83 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2994 times
    I must admit the book was hard to get through at times, I use a kindle, so it doesn't have a page count but I believe the book is well over 900 pages. Sometimes the pages of footnotes are longer than the chapter, but many times the footnotes have a lot of info. He was given a lot of diplomatic communiques, especially from Poland. Hoover was obsessed with collecting info and he convinced a lot of organizations and Countries to donate their files to his collection.

None of what I read ever appeared in my school books. They whitewashed everything. I believe everyone of this generation has heard of the McCarthy hearings, they made him out to be a psycho, but he was on target. After reading this book, I have come to the conclusion that FDR and Churchill were horrible people. WWII caused so much loss of life, Americans being my main concern.
    1 old 0311 likes this.
    Fidelis Ad Mortem

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Member #
    Liked
    2994 times
    Fidelis Ad Mortem

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    I just ordered it on Amazon. Will have it by Thursday. I'll be able to compare and contrast with "The New Dealers' War...".

Hoover did redeem a lot of his reputation after World War II. However, his programs were the genesis of the "New Deal". Roosevelt ran as an "anti-Hoover" candidate, pledging tax cuts, and lessening government size. We see where that went.
    Best,
    Dennis

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. - Alexis de Tocqueville

Member #
    Liked
    2994 times
    You nailed it Dennis, at first he tried private organizations and charity, then he basically started the New Deal, only it was a temporary fix and he didn't grow government around it. FDR wanted to make it permanent. Hoovers big mistake(he wass pressured into it) was the Smoot-Hawley act, putting up high tariffs on foreign goods, which started trade wars. He also increased taxes.

Dennis, I am looking forward to your review of it. I use a kindle, but this is a book that I regret not getting in hard cover. I also should get Flemings book in hard cover.
    Last edited by Crazybastid83; 04-19-2012 at 02:20 AM.
    Fidelis Ad Mortem

Member #
    Liked
    1087 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazybastid83 View Post
    You nailed it Dennis, at first he tried private organizations and charity, then he basically started the New Deal, only it was a temporary fix and he didn't grow government around it. FDR wanted to make it permanent. Hoovers big mistake(he wass pressured into it) was the Smoot-Hawley act, putting up high tariffs on foreign goods, which started trade wars. He also increased taxes...
    Even though world economic study was in its infancy, the upshot of the law should have been abundantly clear. Countries will engage in self protective behavior when threatened economically or militarily. Hoover was urged by a large number of economists who urged him to veto the bill. There was no chance of a Congressional override. Within months, U.S. wheat prices collapsed, further exacerbating the recession, and leading to the Great Depression. For a man who truly had global intelligence, it was an incredible lapse in judgement.

PS - I watched the entire George Nash video. It's an excellent speech, and provides great insight to President Hoover.
    Last edited by pendennis; 04-19-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Best,
    Dennis

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. - Alexis de Tocqueville

Member #
    Liked
    2778 times
    It's on my list.

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    Hoover pretty much sealed his fate when he ordered Mac Arthur to get rid of the starving veterans demanding there what was called bonus pay but wages not paid them during there service in world war one.The illegal use of martial law calling out regular army troops on american civilians as a recent thread said cannot happen and Obama cant do it.
    This was more than the american public was willing to deal with.It cost Hoover badly along with his poor handling of the economy and Let them eat cake attitude toward the starving and dying americans of the great depression.
    The 'Bonus Army' War in Washington

Links