+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Does USPS Priority Mail mean the item gets high priority? Or what?

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Does USPS Priority Mail mean the item gets high priority? Or what?

This is a really busy time for USPS, so I mailed a money order on December 13 to pay for a gun via Priority Mail. I paid extra for delivery confirmation. I was told the expected delivery date was December 16th, a 3 business day haul from Florida to Iowa. This wasn't a guaranteed delivery date, just an "expected" day of arrival.

Fast forward to December 21, and the money order is nowhere in sight. The post office on my end checked it's system and verified my envelope moved to a central Florida mail routing center, but the trail ends there. So, we're at 8 days and counting without a clue where the mail might be. If this is high priority, heaven help anyone sending mail in the usual way.
    1 old 0311 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1072 times
    Priority Mail generally means two-to-three days time. As you mentioned, an "expected" day of arrival. There are no guarantees with Priority Mail. However, eight days is way past reasonable delivery timing. It is supposed to be higher priority than first class (hence "Priority"). My experience has been two-three days, even from Michigan to California. Sorry I can't give you better news.
    Best,
    Dennis

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. - Alexis de Tocqueville

Member #
    Liked
    7060 times
    Check the 16-digit tracking # on your Delivery Confirmation Receipt on the link below, PhotoDude:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction

At least you can check it from home, and not have to go to the local Post Office to get some answers.

DocZeus
    AKA
    David
    NRA Member.....SWCA Member.....Semi-Retired, But Not Dead Yet.....

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Another disappointing bit of information about lost Priority Mail: If the mail is undelivered, USPS will look for it for a year before it gives up. After a year, the sender has no claim for lost value because this mail isn't insured.

My banker says they can find out after 90 days if the money order was cashed fraudulently, but I would not be reimbursed for the loss.

Beware. Money orders need to be sent via some method that can be insured, or PayPal or wire transfer should be used. I'm concerned I may be screwed on this one to the tune of $900+. Priority Mail, for me, isn't living up to it's name.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DocZeus View Post
    Check the 16-digit tracking # on your Delivery Confirmation Receipt on the link below, PhotoDude:

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction

At least you can check it from home, and not have to go to the local Post Office to get some answers.

DocZeus
    AKA
    David
    Thanks, Doc. According to my post office, Priority Mail allows the sender to know when an item is delivered but doesn't provide tracking each step of the way.

Member #
    Liked
    7060 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoDude View Post
    Another disappointing bit of information about lost Priority Mail: If the mail is undelivered, USPS will look for it for a year before it gives up. After a year, the sender has no claim for lost value because this mail isn't insured.

My banker says they can find out after 90 days if the money order was cashed fraudulently, but I would not be reimbursed for the loss.

Beware. Money orders need to be sent via some method that can be insured, or PayPal or wire transfer should be used. I'm concerned I may be screwed on this one to the tune of $900+. Priority Mail, for me, isn't living up to it's name.
    Look at the back of your receipt for the USPS Money Order, Photodude....Here's a scan of one of mine I just recently sent off:

I edited out the #, and underlined in red the appropriate info printed on the back.....Worst-case scenario, you're out the money for 60-75 days, but you WILL get reimbursed.....Tell your banker he can't work at the Post Office.

As long as you filled out the "From" and "To" boxes on the face of the money order, you're good to go for a claim for reimbursement. I did a LOT of research on this, when I started buying on GunBroker, and tried to find the most secure, insured way of sending large sums of money THAT COULD BE TRACKED AND GUARANTEED, and the USPS Money Orders with delivery Confirmation fit the bill. Take Heart, it's not a total loss, just an inconvenience.

DocZeus
    AKA
    David
    Last edited by DocZeus; 12-22-2011 at 12:09 AM.
    NRA Member.....SWCA Member.....Semi-Retired, But Not Dead Yet.....

Member #
    Liked
    7868 times
    Brought to you by the people that want to run your health care
    RDLouks, Bender and Injunbro like this.
    My friends call me 'Mick'
    Save the Second Amendment, take a kid shooting!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11823 times
    Quote Originally Posted by azmick View Post
    Brought to you by the people that want to run your health care
    Does it surprise anyone Why the USPS is going Broke? I can ship UPS or Fed-Ex and have the ability to track it every step of the way. Ship something USPS and as far as I am concerned it is a "Crap Shoot" at best.
    As far as tracking, good luck. Even with the number their website is always 24 to 48 hours behind.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5901 times
    Unfortunately, the USPS is owned by our Govt., who is also broke and in-effective.
    Injunbro likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    Doc,

Thanks again for the info on lost money order replacement. Unfortunately, I purchased the missing mo from my bank. Like a dummy, I didn't even consider the situation I'm in today.

Fortunately, the gun seller, an individual, is patient and trying to help with USPS on his end. This delay/potential loss really mucks up our deal for a gun that was supposed to be under the Christmas tree.

Is there a higher authority to appeal to for support in trying to get a postal supervisor concerned about the missing $900? is this a job for my senator or representative in DC?

Links