Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Global warming??

Member #
    Liked
    3578 times
    I believe in global warming.
    So, there.

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    12867 times
    I believe in global warming too. It has come before every ice age.
    jeepnut, msharley, 1av8r and 4 others like this.
    The more I'm around people, the more I like sheep, and I hate sheep.

Member #
    Liked
    703 times
    Simply increasing the number of morons doesn't make their tired old arguments any more credible.
    I recall the 'scientists' calling for the coming 'ice age' (back in 1974).
    Evidently it was a load of crap, as there was also a so-called 'toilet paper shortage' that year!

Don
    Injunbro, jeepnut, NWDave and 1 others like this.
    S&WCA
    NRA Life Member
    OGCA
    RCA

CCA
    WACA

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20051 times
    Here lately we have been in the 80s daily, and hitting 90 at least once. Some of the cooling would be welcome right about now!
    Having a gun in your hand is much more effective than having the entire police department on the phone.

Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DHENRY View Post
    Simply increasing the number of morons doesn't make their tired old arguments any more credible.
    I recall the 'scientists' calling for the coming 'ice age' (back in 1974).
    Evidently it was a load of crap, as there was also a so-called 'toilet paper shortage' that year!

Don
    Yup, when I was a kid, the prediction they were screaming was ICE AGE. And of course it was man-created by our use of fossil fuels. Sound familiar? It should, a lot of the same people were screaming GLOBAL WARMING 20 years ago - of course all caused by our use of fossil fuels! They couldn't generate enough legitimate evidence to support either, and the pesky weather has proven both predictions to be equally bogus.
    Now a days their rally cry is CLIMATE CHANGE - specifically because it doesn't predict anything - temps rising OR falling. Only that the climate will change, and that is the one prediction that can't be wrong - the climate is sure to change. There is plenty of geological evidence for that. Of course the geological record predates our use of fossil fuels, so it was changing long before we did anything to cause it. But hey, it's changing, so their theory MUST be correct, right?!?
    Injunbro, DHENRY and jeepnut like this.
    Always looking for a deal on more reloading components & ammo. I once tried to see things from the liberal perspective - but I discovered I'm not flexible enough to get my head up my ...

Member #
    Liked
    3460 times
    I got a great deal on a scope last week!...sorry I get distracted easy when discussing unprovable topics. My bad.
    ✌️

-Butchman

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8454 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1av8r View Post
    I believe in global warming.
    So, there.
    Yes, the globe warms. It cools. It does so in cycles, and has for millennia. In the 50's the scientists were screaming about an impending ice age. Then the climate cycled again and here we are, at the apparent end of a warming cycle and starting another cooling one. Scientists and media are still screaming today. Perhaps that is what you believe?

One postulation is if the sun changes output 0.1% - merely a tenth of a percent - we will either fry to a crisp, or freeze the oceans solid, depending which way it goes.

One problem is too many people want a simple single-reason answer to temperature change. Another is they look at 20-year trends, and extrapolate that out in a straight line. That's looking at the charts through a straw. When they DO look at long term data, they "massage" the data for perceived "measurement errors" until the results match the expectations of those who are funding the study.

When none of their various models can predict the climate "today" given the measurements from 100 years ago, I have zero faith in them.

So if a financial analyst came to you and said, "here invest your money with me, I have 20 wonderful predictive models which show a huge gain coming". Then you ask, if I gave you $100,000 20 years ago, what do your models predict for the results? And the analyst says "Well, none of them come out remotely close to the reality today, but invest with me anyway, its scientific consensus the gains will be there". Ummmm.... no??

I believe the hysteria that climate change is CAUSED by man is both full of hubris and insanity. The idea that man chan stop the change is equally fanciful, especially when you look at budding carbon-emitting societies like India and China, representing fully 1/3 of the entire world's population between them, and who categorically refuse to cut back on fossil fuel use to power their growing economies.

Speaking of carbon, I use it only in the sense of a measure of fossil fuel consumption. CO2 is a lousy "greenhouse gas". Methane and water vapor are many many times more potent. Further, CO2 is a trailing indicator of temperature change - as the oceans warm up, THEN CO2 is emitted, not the other way around. So trying to modify something that occurs after the fact to prevent the fact from happening in the first place is moronic.

Closing the barn door after the horse has fled is an old saying...fits exactly.

Used to be we blamed the Gods for crop failures, tornadoes wiping out a village and so on. We would sacrifice a lamb, goat, or virgin at the altar to make those bad things go away. Today those gods appear to be climate scientists, and we are STILL sacrificing stuff upon their altars.
    Last edited by sdismukes; 05-19-2017 at 12:20 AM.
    DHENRY, jeepnut, Injunbro and 2 others like this.
    I have many fine personality traits, or as my psychiatrist calls them, "symptoms".

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600 seconds-plus. 1911 response time: 900 feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Wet Side of the Mountains - Washington State
    Liked
    4714 times
    I don't know what all the fuss is all about. It's very simple: we experience cooling and warming every year. It's called winter and summer. Where I live, 10,000 years ago (just a SWAG at the number), we were buried under hundreds of feet of an ice sheet which extended well down into what is now Oregon (another SWAG). I suspect that was our ice age, amongst many others. In between, well it must have been warmer, as it is now, since, to my untrained, unscientific mark one eyeball, I'm not covered in ice. I know what must have caused it all (another SWAG): population shift causes the earth to tilt off it's proper axis and consequently some regions get colder (precipitating an ice age) while other regions get warmer. As the population migrates around and about, the regions shift. Now, for, further information, if you'll just gofund me a little dough, oh say, how about a couple million, I'll devote the rest of my life proving this theory.
    sdismukes and Injunbro like this.
    "Lord I'm not askin' to go right now but, if you call me now, I pray my remains may be found in a pile of hot brass surrounded by my dead enemies!"

"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others."

Retired Military: 1963-1967 U.S. Navy 1971-1987 U.S. Air Force

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8454 times
    I Just saw an article where hominids - pre-humans - were discovered in Greece, and dated to 200,000 years earlier than the earliest ones in Chad. I quote from the article:

"At that time climate change had turned Eastern Europe into an open savannah which forced apes to find new food sources, sparking a shift towards bipedalism, the researchers believe."

That was 7.2 MILLION years ago.

Wonder what Al Gore would say about that...!

Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa, scientists find

"Man-made climate change" is nothing but an attempt at transfer of wealth, much of it into Al Gore's pockets.
    NWDave and jonesy814 like this.
    I have many fine personality traits, or as my psychiatrist calls them, "symptoms".

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600 seconds-plus. 1911 response time: 900 feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    10319 times
    Their data shows the earth has warmed something like .033 degrees in the past 300 years, but the margin of error is .03 plus or minus. Meanwhile the computer models they use have failed when predicting past weather. All the measurments get rounded up too, so an increase of .247 becomes .25. If you collect data from 10000 points and it all gets rounded up in the thousandths place thats a tenth of a degree right there. 30 years ago Miami was supposed to be underwater right now.
    sdismukes likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links