Question for the Older Crowd
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: Question for the Older Crowd

Member #
    Liked
    1154 times

Question for the Older Crowd

It seems over the last few years that I've noticed more and more younger people speaking very quickly. My daughter and son do as well. It reminds me of a sound bite on television or radio where they are trying to stuff in the most in the shortest time possible. I've told them to stop speaking like that around me. My ladyfriend's son does it too. Almost like a mumbling, lightning fast. Today I called up the Bank and asked the guy to tell me his name again. He then slowed down. With businesses, it's like they're reading a script off a page. I do not notice this with people in their 40's and older. Is this being taught in the schools or is it from Television Hypnosis? It's like they're all talking like a damned reporter. Has anyone else noticed this? Should be interesting seeing your replies.
    A Whip for the Horse, a Bridle for the Ass, and a Rod for the Fool's Back-Proverbs 26-3-KJV

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8157 times
    My wife has taken up the habit. Like interviewers on TV, she'll ask a question then fire off another before I'm half through with the answer. I persist in answering her first question then ask her "what was your second question again?". Seems to be slowing her down, but not by much! She must be getting it from the TV news shows she watches all the time. Can't be "unaware" of anything.
    jeepnut, msharley, Gus54 and 3 others like this.
    I have many fine personality traits, or as my psychiatrist calls them, "symptoms".

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600 seconds-plus. 1911 response time: 900 feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Member #
    Liked
    900 times
    Yes, I've noticed it at all the high schools and with phone sales people. Ever hear LEOs communicate with dispatchers? Get as much information as quickly as possible.
    Gus54, Oldgungeezer and WendyZXZ like this.
    "Love Your Neighbor as Yourself" - Jesus
    "Don't Tread on Me" - The 1775 Gadsden Flag
    "No Stronger Retrograde Force Exists in the World" - Winston Churchill re:Islam

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    12642 times
    It's really a problem if you're an old geezer with a cowboy d-r-a-w-l. I can't listen as fast as everybody else talks.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

Member #
    Liked
    34294 times
    I think it's a case of people not thinking things out before speaking & starting another question before listening to the answer to the 1st one. Sort of like not getting your brain in gear before engaging your mouth. When anyone speaks to me that way I just go back to reading or whatever I was doing, if they aren't courteous enough to listen to a reply to a question they asked why bother to answer?
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    12642 times
    Seems like all of the girls tawk through their nose.. I "guess nasal squeaky" is cool or something.
    "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

Member #
    Liked
    3251 times
    10% of my VA disability is hearing loss, thus your speaking style be it fast or slow, I'm not ignoring you but rather I'm just not hearing you.
    msharley, jeepnut, Gus54 and 6 others like this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Northern CA - SF East Bay and/or Springfield, OR
    Liked
    3604 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus54 View Post
    With businesses, it's like they're reading a script off a page.
    Much of the stuff on customer support calls is scripted. In this day and age of globalized "call centers", where companies contract out their "Customer support" and the people in these "boiler room" call center are taking calls for multiple clients, when a call comes in, it's displayed on a screen... with the company name the call is for and a script to read, supplied or authorized by that company... Hi, this is XYZ customer support, My name is (your-name-here), blah...blah... blah...

Our internal "Help Desk" is that way... and if you call in enough times, you learn the script. That's where the fun begins... call in and give them all of the info at once in the order that it's asked in the script, before they can go through their script and see how royally it strips their gears. They'll ignore what you've said and just launch into the robotic script.

The call usually goes something like this:

Hi, this is such and such, and how may I assist?

Hi.. my name is so and so, I in department xyx, my phone number is 1234, and the paper feed tray in my desktop printer is broken.

[pause]

Well... Ok, great... and who am I speaking with?
    What's your department?
    What's your contact number?
    What do you need assistance with today?

But I've noticed too the rapid fire speech pattern of "millennial's".

My wife's grand-daughter... Wow, when she talks it's almost like a continuous data stream, punctuated every so slightly with millisecond pauses between the bursts.

My theory is they are talking just like the way they text, since that is now their preferred and most frequently used method of communication... they haven't developed any proper verbal communication skills, their brains have become wired for "texting mode".

And I don't think communication skills are being taught in schools anymore.... I remember teachers in my High School delving into "effective listening skills" or "effective communication skills" to lay the skill foundation for either continuing onto College and it's lecture style teaching, or going out into the workplace and talking to a job interviewer.

People in HR that interview job applicants, tell some sad tales of what they are running into these days.
    Last edited by gunhacker; 04-19-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Political correctness: The doctrine fostered by the delusional liberals or the naļve, which attempts to promote the ideology that a turd is something that can be picked up and safely handled from the clean end.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8157 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    I think it's a case of people not thinking things out before speaking & starting another question before listening to the answer to the 1st one. Sort of like not getting your brain in gear before engaging your mouth....
    I was teaching a computer class, the platform was called Tandem, now called NonStop. One of the old trademarks was a tandem bicycle. Idea was there was no single point of failure in the system, including the software. I made the statement that if you had a 2 CPU system, and one of the CPUs failed, everything would transfer to the other CPU, including transactions in the middle of being processed. So this kid (20-something) asks if the first CPU fails, what stops - THAT was a good question (reply: Any processes that were not set up as NonStop, IOW didn't have a backup process in the other CPU). Then he asked, without thinking, what if the other CPU fails? This was probably the only time I reacted like it was a stupid question. "Then you're dead in the water" with a WTF look on my face.

It would be like on a tandem bicycle, if one peddler stops, the other takes over full load. Bike doesn't stop. The second peddler stops, THEN the bike does too.

I apologized for my reaction, but that second question of his popped out literally without thinking. He had already shown a habit of rapid-fire questions like that, What if it's "a", what if its "b", what if it's not "a" and not "b", what if..... and I'm still answering the "if it's 'a' question"... so I was already a bit fed up with this process.
    I have many fine personality traits, or as my psychiatrist calls them, "symptoms".

Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

911 Response time: 600 seconds-plus. 1911 response time: 900 feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Northern CA - SF East Bay and/or Springfield, OR
    Liked
    3604 times
    Wow Tandem processors... there's a walk down memory lane for me. Our IBM Mainframes had Tandem Cyclone front-ends that the merchant POS (point of sale) terminals for credit card transactions hung off of. Those Tandems were the "go between" for the Mainframe side and the merchant terminals.

I still have the two handled (redundant) coffee mug the sales guy gave out... sorry for the thread drift, but I haven't thought about Tandem systems for many, many decades and never expected to see a reference here, my inner geek got all excited

Name:  Tandem Mug.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  90.9 KB
    Last edited by gunhacker; 04-19-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Political correctness: The doctrine fostered by the delusional liberals or the naļve, which attempts to promote the ideology that a turd is something that can be picked up and safely handled from the clean end.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links