+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Ranger Model 36 .22 Rifle

I was making my rounds and an older model full size bolt action .22 rifle cried out for me to take it home. I have been looking for a decent adult size .22 rifle for awhile but nothing has talked to me. So for a hundred dollar bill I was able to walk out the door of the shop with my new to me Ranger Model 36 rifle. After a bit of web searching I learned that this rifle was made by Marlin between 1934-1939 for Sears and Roebuck. It is their Model 80 rollmarked for Sears. 24 inch barrel, full size adult Walnut stock, 7 round detachable mag, sling swiels and buck horn sights. This rifle has the earlier style metal trigger guard and a large knurled take down knob just behind the mag well.The rifle had no rust what so ever and retains about 90 % bluing with the rest a nice brown patina on the rest. Just a very well cared for older model rifle.
    I spent a couple of hours over on RimFireCentral.com and learned how to remove the bolt and the action from the stock in order to do a good cleaning. Just rack the bolt back and pull the trigger and out it comes. Unscrew the take down knob and the action is lifted from the stock. Kinda like taking a Mosin-Nagant apart but a lot easier.
    After the clean up I found the bore to be in perfect shape. Just one thing left to do...shoot her.
    I went down to my father-in-law's place and did just that. I was shooting at a plastic 8" paper plate that I hung on a bush at 100 ft from his back fence and a plastic water bottle. My father-in-law made that water bottle dance all over the place while my wife and I put a lot of rounds onto the plate. This is one sweet shooting .22. The balance was perfect and with it's long barrel it was very quiet, unlike my Glenfield Model 60. No problems at all with the 100 rounds or so that we fired.
    What a great old rifle. They sure knew how to build them way back then. Blue steel and walnut is a perfect combo in my book. I am a happy camper and that is the best 100 bucks spent in a long time.
    Front sight.......Front sight.......Front sight.....

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2710 times

Re: Ranger Model 36 .22 Rifle

Those Ranger guns were solid copies of the originals. I've got two. An old Stevens 311 copy and a Remington 11 copy.

Nothing like a simple bolt action 22 to remember what shooting is all about.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

Where's the pictures?

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1441 times

Very cool, but we need pictures!
    Let go of anything that stops you from having everything…DM

Dom

Member #
    Liked
    247 times

I haven't done a lot of research on this, but my understanding is that Ranger was a generic Sears, Roebuck firearms brand. The actual arms were made by various companies, I think. I have a bolt action Ranger brand .410 shotgun from the same era as your .22, but the shotgun apparently was made by Stevens (which was owned by Savage Arms Co.)

Neat find! Congrats!

Bill

Member #
    The Great Smoky Mountains, Knoxville, Tennessee
    Liked
    524 times

Hello M58
    Sears Marketed several different guns under the house Name of Ranger. I have a Marlin made Ranger Model 34 special target rifle that was my Father's First .22 back in the late 1930's and is shown below. I thought at First it may have been a Savage with that Schnable forend as Savage was well known to use them, but I researched it and found out later it was indeed made by Marlin. It Oddly came with Both set's of sights shown on it being a Semi Buckhorn leaf rear sight and the Optional Williams Peep sights {See the add link below as well for these, special made Target rifles}. It was $1.49 More, to add on this special Target rear sight Option...

This rifle sadly somehow ended up in my Nieces hands. Being the First Grandchild she often get's her way with my Dad & From there it became Very Neglected and when I asked my Dad where it ever went, I was not so Pleased to find out, he had Loaned it to her, supposedly for her Protection. I asked him to get it back for me. He wondered why I wanted it, and I told him because it was his first gun, and it needed to come to me, to hand down to my Grand children someday.

Like most familles, that caused a Wee bit of friction, but it did not matter to me as I wanted to have his first gun back in my hands, and she makes enough money to buy any gun she wants, she did not need to have his Very First gun. When it came back, I first noticed right off, that the rear Peep sight and slide were missing. These are not easy to find, but I lucked out and found a complete assembly on Flea-Bay for $10.00 they are Williams brand.

I took the rifle down and cleaned the bluing and removed most of the corrosion it had gotten while it was on loan. I then sanded down the stock and removed the Many coats of Old Festered and Cracked Shellac my Grandfather had applied , Bless his heart he was just trying to make it look better I Guess. Once I got it down to the original wood the walnut stock looked pretty darn good, with no cracks or major damage done to it.

I Placed a Low semi gloss sheen oil rubbed finish back on it, what it would have come with when it was made by Marlin back in 1936. I took it to the range and sighted it in with some CCI Target ammo. It was deadly accurate. My Father visited around his Birthday, and I had it in a closed rifle case. I asked if he wanted to go to the range with me?

He asked what was in the case, and I told him just an old clunker rifle. Once we got set on the range, I took it out of the case, Placed it in his Lap, and Said "Happy Birthday Dad", remember this one ? . He looked totaly shocked to say the least. He then got all tore up, as a flood of emotions seemed to piled on him looking at it, I could see it in his face as Tears began to well up.

I asked if he was all right, and he Nodded his head, saying it looked better now than when he got it for his 10'th Birthday back in 1941. Apparently my Grandfather had bought it for him used at a Local Hardware store back then, that has long since gone out of Business for $3.00 and given it to him for his 10th birthday present. $3.00 back in World War II Times was hard to come by, and I guess that is what got him all shook up, or perhaps it was the memories of hunting Gray squirrels with his father with it all those many years ago, as Gramp's Passed away in 1976, when the rifle came back to Dad again, and I clearly remember Gramp telling him lying on his Death bed when he gave it to him, to never get rid of it, and to take good care of it. Perhaps that was it, as I cared enough to bring it back into good useable shape for him ?

To break the silence and move him along here I said, go on.. shoot it. He loaded it up and fired 50 rounds through it that day, wearing out the Ten ring in several Target's with it, as I spotted and changed out the targets for him, he grinned from ear to ear as he fired it. That day was the happiest I have ever seen my Father, and I was glad I pushed hard to get it back and cleaned it up for him, as his emotional out come, that I had seldom seen in my Father in the past, was well worth the Tissy Fit my spoiled Rotten Niece threw over it. It now resides in my safe with his Father's Guns where it belongs being taken care of the right way, until I Pass them down to my Grand Kids...Here is the Marlin made Sear's Ranger special Target Model 34 single shot rifle I spoke of here...

http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/image ... 16602.html

N.R.A. Certified Range Officer
    N.R.A. Certified Handgun Instructor
    S&WCA #1682
    NRA Member

" Envy is the underlying Root of all Evil, and one of the worst of the Seven Deadly Sin's "

Member #
    Liked
    3369 times

Good story, HD! Your neice probably wants it back now.....right??? Never fails!!! Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    The Great Smoky Mountains, Knoxville, Tennessee
    Liked
    524 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K
    Good story, HD! Your neice probably wants it back now.....right??? Never fails!!! Bob

Hey Bob

Thank's I appreciate your Kind words. Growing up, my Father and I were not real close, one reason was that he always worked Two Jobs to give us kids the extras he did not have as a child, and he was raised distant from his Father that alway's worked hard back in those depression years, just to get by, you know how History always seems to repeat it's self or the Term "The Apple did not fall far from the Tree" comes to mind here on this subject. The immature Tissy Fit thrown by her to my Father over this returning of "His Gun" did not effect me one bit when I saw my Dad's reaction to the out come of all this,.. It was well worth it. Her & I, have not spoken since... But that is fine , Thinking about the way she act's it often remind's me of the Television Commercial that showed the guy sitting on top of a bridge with about a Dozen fishing poles in the water saying "I want it all"... that's Just the way she is. I really could not understand why she had it to begin with , as she was raised in a Home with No Firearms as my sister is a Full Blown Liberal minded Teacher and a Tree Hugger, and we all know that that kind of attitude Often leads to an Anti-Gun stance in life. I suspect her reason was to Just Make a Grab for something else from my Father, while I was not around to see it Leave... That certainly Didn't work out in her favor on this though, Perhap's she can now hug a Tree with her Mother, or sew Peace signs on her Vest to pass her time now....
    N.R.A. Certified Range Officer
    N.R.A. Certified Handgun Instructor
    S&WCA #1682
    NRA Member

" Envy is the underlying Root of all Evil, and one of the worst of the Seven Deadly Sin's "

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8245 times

Great story, and the rifle looks wonderful!
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Hello Hammerdown,
    Well done Sir !

Thank you for sharing your story. That's why this forum is great.
    Front sight.......Front sight.......Front sight.....

Links