+ Reply to Thread
    Gizamo

Stevens Single Shot 414 Armory

This one needed a little TLC and got some today. After I photo'd it, it went on a road trip to my gunsmiths shop. He and I milled the rear sight to the proper height, then removed the rear stock and using an endmill we centered, drilled and tap the folding rear sight into place...Thankfully Drew had a spare and was kind enough to sort through his collection to find the one I needed....thanks Pal.

This one is in .22 LR and dates to the the 1920's. It is a heavy and full sized falling block. At the range today I discovered that I shoot this gun better offhand then any other...

giz

Member #
    Liked
    111 times

Re: Stevens Single Shot 414 Armory

Now that looks like a great squirrel hunting rifle as well as a neat rifle for teaching a new young shooter. Nice find!

Member #
    Liked
    3299 times

Pretty neat Giz. Savage/Stevens/Springfield made some interesting guns back in the "old days". I have an old Stevens M 220B 20 Ga.
    2 3/4" chamber, single shot, with no exposed hammer, a Walnut stock and tang safety, (Looks like a double ........missing one barrel. ) that is my favorite to take with me for "casual hunting". That's my name for a "walkabout" or "cruisin'" the local woods.......lookin' for whatever I happen to find. It weighs in at about 5 lbs. It kicks pretty good with High Brass #6's. Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Gizamo

Had a couple of Stevens and Savage shotguns over the years. They were always well made and never offered any problems. To the company's credit, there are many offered in the used gun racks that look like they gave great service and have a lot of life left in them...

The Stevens 414 is more of a military trainer. Unlike the smaller framed .22's, this one feels like a substantial rifle when you shoulder it. The military sling mounts and the palm cut really make you think that it was used to teach shooting positions. Frankly, it's the first one that I've seen and that is why it caught my eye...

giz

Member #
    Liked
    3299 times

I would be interested in a Savage 99 or a Fox 20 ga. Double shotgun..........but, like most of the time.......I'm just too cheap to part with that much money!!!!! They are both very desirable guns..........for me, anyway. I used to work for Savage Arms, Westfield for awhile. I could have picked-up both at discount prices.
    Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

One of those hangs out around here, also. The difference is, this one is .22 short only. It is a very accurate rifle that has two flaws. One is the cost of ammo, the other is that peep sight is almost impossible for these old eyes. Cool rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    306 times

Excellent find!

The 414 was the last hurrah for the fabulous old Stevens #44 action that was used on their early top-of-the-line Schuetzen target rifles. After they merged with Savage, the fine high-quality single-shot rifles using the full-size #44 and #44 1/2 actions were no longer being made and the company focused on production of "hunter-grade" firearms.

xtm

Gizamo

xtm,

Never had the opportunity to handle one of the 44's. Based on the smooth action of the 414 it might be time to start looking. Funny how some folks look at a falling block and can't see the beauty...

Lot's of Stevens Favorites in my area, but this was the first full size .22 that crossed my path.

giz

Links