+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scruffy49

Thread: 20 guage shot gun shell worth anything?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

20 guage shot gun shell worth anything?

Not sure if this is where this thread should go or not.

I have a few 20 guage shot shells that I don't know it they are worth anything or not?
    There's cardboard or paper case one with Winchester super speed stamped on the bottom.

Cardboard or paper case that has Rustless High Velocity wrote on the side, Peters HV stamped on the bottom, and a cardboard or paper cover on the top that says 2 3/4-1

Plastic case with Remington Express Kleanbore wrote on the side, Remington Express stamped on the bottom and a cardboard or paper cover on the top that says 3-1 1/8

Anyone know if any of them are worth anything?
    Thanks

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3547 times
    Not really. I generally accept them and use the shot to cast bullets. There is a lot of ammo lying about and unless you have something very old, unusual or valued in its own right, no.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks Waidmann, Was wondering because my father-in-law had them before I new him and that was around 28 years ago. Don't know how long he had them before that.

Member #
    Liked
    13441 times
    The #'s indicate the load. For example: 2 3/4-1-4 indicates it's for a 2 3/4"" chamber, 1 ounce load & #4 shot. There are a few collectors around but no one seems willing to pay as much for a box of old ammo as it would cost to buy a box of new.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Injunbro View Post
    The #'s indicate the load. For example: 2 3/4-1-4 indicates it's for a 2 3/4"" chamber, 1 ounce load & #4 shot. There are a few collectors around but no one seems willing to pay as much for a box of old ammo as it would cost to buy a box of new.
    Thanks Injunbro, Never been into shotgun. Thought the 2 3/4 was probably the length but wasn't sure what the other numbers were for.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1401 times
    What Bill and Bro said. Have a look see on Gunbroker...they just don't seem to sell. I'd just hang on to them as a keepsake. Regards Dick
    IGNORANCE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE COMMODITY THAT YOU CAN OWN

Member #
    Liked
    1177 times
    Give them to Snake or Gearchecker, they live near you. Mantle decorations. Old paper shot shells are more curiosity than collectable... I've got 100 year old rounds here that I pop off if I get bored enough (company is still in business, those loads are still made, I have more).
    DocZeus likes this.
    I am NOT totally useless... I make a great bad example.

Member #
    Liked
    110 times
    The first number is an archaic system to represent a dram equivalent to black powder. The second number is the weight of shot charge in ounces. The third number is the shot size. Most 20 ga. shells were 2 3/4, 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 dram equivalent. Magnums might be a little higher. I've seen 12 ga. shells from 3 to 4 dram equivalent and have one that is listed as Max. I still like to shoot a paper shell every now and then. They have such a nice odor to them that reminds me of days gone by hunting with my father and uncles. Some 50+ years back when I started hunting, all shells were paper or occasionally one would find some brass shells. Shells came in all sorts of color (blue, green, red, yellow, orange) as well as with ribbed or smooth casings. Crimps would be folded with a sticky cover like yours or a roll crimp with an insert to show the shot size. The first plastic shells came out in the late 60's.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen View Post
    The first number is an archaic system to represent a dram equivalent to black powder. The second number is the weight of shot charge in ounces. The third number is the shot size. Most 20 ga. shells were 2 3/4, 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 dram equivalent. Magnums might be a little higher. I've seen 12 ga. shells from 3 to 4 dram equivalent and have one that is listed as Max. I still like to shoot a paper shell every now and then. They have such a nice odor to them that reminds me of days gone by hunting with my father and uncles. Some 50+ years back when I started hunting, all shells were paper or occasionally one would find some brass shells. Shells came in all sorts of color (blue, green, red, yellow, orange) as well as with ribbed or smooth casings. Crimps would be folded with a sticky cover like yours or a roll crimp with an insert to show the shot size. The first plastic shells came out in the late 60's.
    Thanks Heathen, It's interested to learn about the different developments of ammunition over the years.

Links