+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Tell me about the Browning 22 LR rifle .... it's a takedown version

Member #
    Liked
    11375 times

Tell me about the Browning 22 LR rifle .... it's a takedown version

Well fellas , I'm hearing the voices again . They seem to come on a pretty regular basis .

The best that I can make out is " spend it , spend it all " and " those kids don't need no inheritance " .

I was looking with some mild interest at a Browning .22 LR Takedown rifle .

It seems to be around a 1982 production , thus made in Japan . Don't even mention the
    earlier Belgium made models . I ain't got that kinda money .

So some questions -

Anybody got one , or had one ?

General feedback ?

Is the Takedown a desirable feature ?

It's a grade II . Its looks VERY nice w very pretty wood , a stainless receiver w engraving .

A 20" barrel .

Perhaps many of you know that I really do not particularly like 22s .

But for some reason this gun has me ......... mesmerized .

Like that fella does on The Mentalist !

So give me some insight .

Regards ,
    George . needing a new safe pretty soon I reckon
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    631 times
    Don't have one now, but have had several in the past. Good little guns. Mine were accurate, and would feed any LR ammo. Take-down is a nice feature; keep the tension ring tight and there won't be any play. Just be sure to be careful of hot brass going into your shoes! Bill

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13003 times
    The Browning takedown is a great little rifle. I had one and sold it like many of my other guns. It was worth about 3 times what I paid for it, and I wanted my M1 Garand even more, so I sold it. I find no fault with the Japanese made models. It's as much snob appeal as anything else.

The Belgium models do have better furniture on them but that's about it.
    Loading is through the buttstock so it's slightly different than the other breakdown rifles.

I saw a couple on gunbroker and I know where one is being sold. The going price is generally around $700 and I think it's a fair price for the rifle you buy. The one I had would feed any ammo put in it wiithout any problems. It even fed Thunderbolt and Cyclone cartridges. Most semi-auto 22 rifles are a bit fussy, mine was not.

I would recommend it to anybody looking for a high end accurate takedown rifle. I don't recall that they ever came with a range bag so you'll need to find one. One of the sporting goods stores here in Cd'A has a clearance store and they have a bunch of S&W range bags that might work well for it. These are really good quality softsiders and they're very affordable. If you get the rifle and would like me to look into the measurements for a fit I'll be happy to stop by and get the sizes for you.

Gregory
    georgepittenger and WendyZXZ like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    I like 'em. Mrs. xtm has a high-grade model that her Pa gave her ~50 years ago and she lets me shoot it every now and then. Everyone who shoots it seems to like it. Be sure to get one of the short take-down cases to carry it around in so you can take advantage of that quick and handy feature. When broken down, it will pack away nicely in a suitcase.

Look at the engraving very closely - some of the more recent Browning engraved work is machine-rolled and machine-cut and looks like it - nice, but not nearly so pleasing to the eye as less perfect hand-done scrolls and loops.

Some of the wood on Japanese Browning .22s is very nice and some is so light and soft, I'm not sure that it is really-and-truly walnut. It reminds me of the crummy light-colored wood that Weatherby slapped on some of their high-priced guns back in their gaudy rifle era. Cynics refer to them as "Balsa Wood Weatherbys".
    georgepittenger likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I have a 1974 (first year) Japanese made Browning SA-22.

It has very nice wood, and in general, is a thing of beauty.

I had been wanting one for some time, and I just happened to find a deal on this one.

The SA-22 was designed by John Browning himself, which should tell you how fine a rifle they are.

Member #
    Liked
    13361 times
    IMHO everything w/ the Browning name on it is of very good quality. As far as not leaving your kids an inheritance, what could be better to inherit than some nice guns? They'd just spend the $ & not keep it as a keepsake anyway so you may as well enjoy the Browning in the meantime.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    305 times
    Until recently, most non-bolt action .22s were made with a takedown feature of some sort. It was expected since so many people traveled by train, wagon, or open auto and wanted to be able to safely pack them away from rough handling until they got to their destination.

The Browning auto is one of the quickest .22 repeaters to takedown. Many single shot .22s come apart easily, too. The classic Marlin Model 39A comes apart by removing the large knurled screw head - so did over a million of Remington's M-12A pump. It's simply a nice portability feature to have on a handy .22 Rifle.
    Last edited by xtimberman; 06-17-2012 at 09:18 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2777 times
    Guy behind me at the gun show, in Kokomo yesterday, had one for sale it was a Belgium, no box or papers but in like new condition. He was asking $1050 FIRM.

Member #
    Liked
    696 times
    I always wanted one myself. Buy it like injun bro says it can be inherited.Browning dont market junk no matter where its made.
    Trailblazer likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2777 times
    Quote Originally Posted by onenut58 View Post
    I always wanted one myself. Buy it like injun bro says it can be inherited.Browning dont market junk no matter where its made.

It is kind of strange that of all the rifles, and shotguns, made in Japan 99% of their people can't own one.

Links