Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Husqvarna rifle

5K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  SidecarFlip 
#1 ·
I was joking this morning about loading up my 9.3 for our local bear problem and I thought I'd post a couple of
Pictures. I bought this one with the scope mount on it. I couldn't find the mount & rings for my first one so
I bought the second one from Simpson. I put the old weaver scope on it, thought it looked right. It won't
shoot like my 6.5 but it does pretty good. The only load I've used is a 270 gr. Never ran it through the chronograph so I don't know the fps. Here is some pics of the Huskys. I kinda wish I'd have kept both.
Cliff Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun
Gun Rifle Shotgun Air gun Wood
Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Trigger
Rifle Gun Air gun Musical instrument Trigger

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice rifle! High mount can be problematic. Have used similar high mounts, i.e., "See Through" figure eight types so as to be able to use scope or iron sights. Shoot the iron sights as normal. Shoot the scope sighting with the left eye. With a bit of practice, works well. Very fast for hunting. I have no experience with the 9.3 caliber. sounds like it would be about ideal for hunting medium or heavy game. Sincerely. bruce.

#7 ·
Watch out for yer eye when ya shoot! The scope looks pretty close to yer eyebrow?
Funny story: Years ago I mounted a 6 power scope on a Mauser rifle chambered in 416 Rigby. Two brothers were going on safari in Africa and wanted to get "sighted in"! I mounted the compact scope and they went to the range. A couple days later the two came over to show me something. The one brother had a bandage over his eye and the other had one under his eye! WTHeck happened. "We were shooting on the bench and I got smacked by the scope, said the bro with the bunged up eye>over the eye. He was bleeding pretty good when the other bro wanted to shoot(and got in a hurry!) before he took his bro to the hospital. Yep, you guessed it, the 2nd bro rushed his shot and got smacked under the eye lid. Now BOTH bro's were bleeding!
Now at the hospital waiting for treatment the brothers realized that they left the 416 at the range! They just forgot in they're haste for medical aid! The rifle was STILL laying there when they returned to the range!:eek: My reply was, "who'd want a dadgum artillery piece like a 416! there ain't no water buff's in Ohio!" That rifle shot 3-4 inch groups at 100 yards. Pretty dang good for a big caliber. As luck would have it, the outfitter made the bro's take OFF the scope for the hunt! The brothers went and had a hunt of a life time. FWIW

#14 ·
Now at the hospital waiting for treatment the brothers realized that they left the 416 at the range! They just forgot in they're haste for medical aid! The rifle was STILL laying there when they returned to the range!:eek: My reply was, "who'd want a dadgum artillery piece like a 416! there ain't no water buff's in Ohio!"
That's like leaving a shovel or a pick at a jobsite. A week later it will still be there. Nooooooooobody wants them.

Reactions: Cliff
#9 ·
IMHO, Husky's are one of the finest bolt rifles made. My step-Dad had one in 7mm Rem Mag that quickly grew legs and disappeared when he died.

Reactions: Cliff
#17 ·
Yes, they are and that coupled with the fact that S&W imported them in the early 60's and I have one makes it even better. Husky knew how to build a first rate action, hand lapped the bolt races and installed a clunky trigger (fixable however) (Huber ball bearing trigger).

Their furniture is top shelf, come to think about it, the whole piece is top shelf....

Mine shoots sub moa at 200 yards, all day, every day....

On scopes, vintage look and practical are 2 different animals, you always want the scope mounted as close to the horizontal centerline of the tube as possible. In my case I had Bruce Talley make up a set of rings for mine (Husquvarna small action Mauser 308). View attachment 174513 View attachment 174521 View attachment 174529

#11 ·

I have a S&W 30-06 built for S&W by Husqvarna - As I recall the mount had to be from Husqvarna - I took it to a gunsmith and he couldn't get the mounts? One of the former members from eastern Tennessee had one and informed us about the difficulty - but he has passed now. . .Maybe some of the members recall his name.

#16 ·
Slim, the group I pictured was fired with my 96 6.5. This was shot in a military bolt action match. It was shot off a rest,
Open sights with no mods. to the rifle. I used this same rifle to shoot Best Group at the state match. That group was 1.205,
that is1 3/16 for a 10 shot group. I never expected the 9.3 or me to out shot it. You ought to see the looks the rifle and
the ammo get at the range. Cliffj

#19 · (Edited)
Only thing I changed was the trigger. I wanted to keep the original look and feel of the finely finished stock. Only reason I changed the trigger was (cannot figure it out) the stock trigger had a lot of pre-travel and was decidedly heavy, not in keeping with such a fine example of Swedish craftsmanship. Huber to the rescue.

Never goes anywhere, I get it out and shoot in once in a while. I like owning a piece of history. Just running your hands over it feels good, least to me it does. The 423 on the target is what I'm jumping the bullets at. CBTO (Cartridge base to ogive) is ,423 with Berger VLD Hunters in Lapua Brass with Federal primers..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.