+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moon Clips

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Moon Clips

Can moon clips be used only on certain models of the Championship Series Revolvers and Performance Center Revolvers?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Moon Clips

NO.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Help me here, Wes Dakota. I've been given some bad information I guess. Can they be used on any gun. I thought the moon clips required a larger spacing between cylinder and body and only specially machined guns could use moon clips. I've never used the clips, really never even seen them used in person, only on video - But - they sure look better than speed loaders to me.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

I've got moon clips on a 627 V8 and a 610. The 627 can shoot normally without them, the 610 requires them both to fire and to eject.

The 627 has a special cut on the cylinder to allow use of the regular rimmed case or with the moon clip. The rimless .40 caliber requires moon clip to function at all.

A 625 acp uses moon clips. From what I've seen, those with longer firing pins might detonate the primer, but without the moon clip assembly, you may need a rod to push out the fired shells.

I like 'em.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Thanks for your reply m657.

I done some homework on this and found a company (i'm sure there is more than one) that will drill cylinder a little larger and deeper, provide an ejector tool for spent cartridges (i was surprised that you need to do that - i've only seen video's of shooters using moon's and they just turn the gun over to eject, do you no longer have ejector rod?), 10 stainless clips and something else but it slips my mind right now. Cost $230. They had a list of guns eligible for this. Subtract their cost from a S&W ready to go and makes the cost a LITTLE more reasonable.

They also had brands of ammunition not compatible w/moon's. They talked a lot about casing thickness for self loading. At this point i'm not interested in competitive shooting, but who knows, i am starting to think about it. I've got a lot to learn so anything you can add would be appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

My 627 V max has standard factory PC set up including ejector rod.
    It's an inspired design IMHO. I use it both ways, with & without the moon clip with no problem. Have not yet found excuse...er....'reason' to buy 8-shot speed loaders.

I love their system & would like to put it on every revolver I have. Of course, rimless calibers all require the moon clip regardless.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by m657
    I've got moon clips on a 627 V8 and a 610. The 627 can shoot normally without them, the 610 requires them both to fire and to eject.

The 627 has a special cut on the cylinder to allow use of the regular rimmed case or with the moon clip. The rimless .40 caliber requires moon clip to function at all.

A 625 acp uses moon clips. From what I've seen, those with longer firing pins might detonate the primer, but without the moon clip assembly, you may need a rod to push out the fired shells.

I like 'em.

FWIW, my M625 will only fire about 50/50 without the moon clips. It seems as if the cases are on the short side these days, as very few of need to be trimed & most are on the short side even when brand new. Must be a cost saving thing, eh?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I guess I'm really in a learning curve beyond my experience. I need to learn about a 625 acp moon clip equipped and not sure where to go, I do want to be able to shoot both. Can anybody point me a direction to learn?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Tip of the hat. My 625-2 will dine on ACP's with or without moons or 45AR's. If you want to see how effective the are; Jerry Michlek has a couple of videos. He fires 6RDS., reloads and fires 6 more in less than 4 sec. They are extremely fast to reload. Keep askin' questions. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Horacesmiff
    Tip of the hat. My 625-2 will dine on ACP's with or without moons or 45AR's. If you want to see how effective the are; Jerry Michlek has a couple of videos. He fires 6RDS., reloads and fires 6 more in less than 4 sec. They are extremely fast to reload. Keep askin' questions. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

Links