+ Reply to Thread
    Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11758 times

Mass. Trigger Pull

Help me out here, I am trying to figure out why Massachusetts requires that the trigger pull has to be 10+ Lbs. Is that for all Handguns? What possible advantage do they feel is gained?
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    3072 times
    I am not aware of any regulations on the trigger pull, in Mass.. Are you, by chance, talking about current manufacturing standards, as they apply to the S&W factory? I regulate my guns to what I feel is right. Range guns have a lighter trigger pull. Carry guns usually need a heavier trigger pull, (factory) because they need a more diliberate, cool head, when faced with the adrenalin rush you get in a life threatening situation. You don't want an Accidental Discharge of your gun....during a high stress situation. That's the only thing that I can think of....to answer your question. Did I answer the question? Bob

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11758 times
    Thanks
    I was just interested as to why they were listed that way. Is that for all Handguns, or just for the ones that are considered personal protection/carry guns.
    Just my inquiring mind.
    Whenever You Try To Make Something IDIOT PROOF.........They Will Just Make Better IDIOTS!
    You can lead a Man to Congress, but you can't make him Think Milton Berle

Due to the rising cost of Ammunition a Warning Shot will no longer be fired, Thank You For Your Understanding.

NRA Life Member since 1988, And Proud Of It.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Mass. has a trigger pull standard, as well as other standands that new manufactured guns must meet. They only apply to dealers selling these guns. After you buy the gun you can make adjustments to suit your needs. You can also buy any gun that is not Mass. compliant from a private sale FTF. Makes a lot of sense does't it? This info I got from posts on Mass. sights. Trying to interpret thier laws is almost imposible.
    Last edited by jaguar88xj6; 04-28-2011 at 08:38 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    3072 times
    You've got that right!!!! Bob

BTW, If you live in Mass., you cannot buy a gun that is not Mass. compliant!!!!
    Last edited by Bob K; 04-29-2011 at 06:03 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Bob. Please go to Norteast shooters.com, forum,gunlaws,Ma. Read the stich post, handgun compliance Q+A thread. It sais the MA. comliant law only applies to dealers. You can buy a non comforming or altered trigger gun in a private FTF sale. Again it is MA. so the rules could change any minuet. If you read it differently than I do, please let me know.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    3072 times
    You can only buy handguns from another person in Mass........who is subject to the same laws. It has to be registered in Mass.. If it's illegal for you to own it, I would think........ it's also illegal for him to own it! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    You've got that right!!!! Bob

BTW, If you live in Mass., you cannot buy a gun that is not Mass. compliant!!!!
    The way this reads is a bit misleading.

MA dealers are legally restricted to only transfer guns (to MA residents) that either were "in-state" prior to 10/21/98 (for law, or mfd prior to that date for AG Regulations) or have met the arbitrary test requirements called out in the law (1998) AND AG Regulations.

Citizens with a MA LTC can own and transfer (max 4/year) any handguns. MA residents are free to modify their guns with impunity and can later re-sell them if they so desire.

I don't know of any dealer who "tests" the guns they take in as used for resale and thus one may indeed purchase a used handgun that's had gunsmithing work done to it. Not sure of legality wrt the dealer, but there is NO PENALTY for the purchaser and so nobody in MA needs to care about that.

Member #
    Liked
    3072 times
    Doesn't it have to be Mass compliant to be sold by a dealer, new or used? Unless made prior to 1998 Gun law? Or, does the law apply only to new guns? I have never bought a modified handgun in this state. Most were used, and not modified. (to my knowledge) They were made much before 1998, too. Bob

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Doesn't it have to be Mass compliant to be sold by a dealer, new or used? Unless made prior to 1998 Gun law? Or, does the law apply only to new guns? I have never bought a modified handgun in this state. Most were used, and not modified. (to my knowledge) They were made much before 1998, too. Bob
    The way the law reads, I'd say that "yes" it is supposed to be compliant when sold used too.

HOWEVER, I do not know any dealer who tests guns with trigger gauges when they get them in for resale. I've been told directly by a few that they don't have time to clean them and/or test fire them before putting them in the case for sale either.

So I suspect "reality is a bit different from what the law is". And that can work to the benefit of some people.

Links