+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

California members: I am confused

I live in the wrong state! There was a nice M-10-8 3" on sale on Gunbroker. The dealer was in California. I contacted him, but he said he cannot sell it to me because it is not on the Ca roster. Okay I get this. He can sell it if I had a FFL, which I don't. Okay. I am confused because I bought a M14-4 a couple of years back in a local gunstore. I see off roster guns for sale on Calguns.net regularly. I do not get it. Is private to private allowable? I would go to Calguns site but my daughter hogs up the computer at home and here at work Calguns is filtered.(this site is not for some reason). Please set my straight.

willie

Re: California members: I am confused

Recently on a visit to El Cajon gun exchange, I saw a scope mounted 7-1/2" Redhaawk, identical to the one in my cabinet. I had purchased it there years before. The price was only $400 with a nice Burris scope, but I was told that it was available only to Law Enforcement.

The explanation was that California requires manufacturers to submit samples of every model for testing to become eligible for sale in the state every year. There are licensing and other charges to the manufacturer. Since the sale of some models are not sufficient to warrant the expense, the guns are no longer legal, although it was legal the year that it was brought into or originally sold in the state. Also illegal are 2" or shorter barrels, so the two new Smith compacts have a problem in that the auto is illegal while the revolver is ok. He said that in the future we eill likely see more 2-1/8" barrels!

This was explained to me there and then, by a guy that has been there for years, so take it for what it is worth!

Willie

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks Willie, I think if it is private party to private party with in the state of Ca it is okay for off roster handguns. A gunstore or dealer cannot sell it to you. Only LE/ FFL holder. I lost out on a M-10 3" and a M-681 just this past week. I hate this states' politians.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5906 times

Dear "Kal-if-ornia" members.
    I ONCE lived in Calif. for many years, but despair about many things, (including the repressive gun "laws?"), drove me out. Hang in there, as I'm sure new Gov. "Moon-Beam" will fix everything............
    RUN FORREST.....RUN!
    All I got to say is, "God Bless Texas!"

Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    This is correct, if the dealer has it on the books as the store's gun, it can only be sold to FFL and LE. If it were consignment or in the dealer's private collection, he can sell as PPT.

Maybe CA FFL will chime in with details.
    ***Honesty is the Foundation of One's Character***

*** In comparing the virtues of various calibers, using hollow point ammo: it is absolutely undeniable that, while a 9 mm or .40 S&W may or may not expand, a .45 will never shrink. ***

Links