Smith And Wesson Forums banner

Whats the best ammo to carry?

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Bob K 
#1 ·
Click on the link below. This is the other scenario that should be in the minds of each and every one of us who might be CCW, each and every day. This is your other foe, one that most who CCW overlook (even though this is the only threat you might ever face), one that won't listen to reason or be talked down. One that will ignore a victim's screams, or be more excited by them. Visualize it. They ignore being kicked, beaten with sticks or a bat, hit by rocks, punched, stabbed, and they keep attacking. They are in constant motion and move fast. You have only a few seconds to react before you too, are going to be fighting for your own life against them. How much gun do you want to face them, and what kind of bullets do you think would be best? Seriously? A good argument for a Taurus Judge loaded with 410s.
Sure, buckshot is best, but lets focus on what is on your hip or in your pocket.
I'll take the time tested 357 magnum, with some 146 gr Speer SJHPs loaded hot.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-na ... nt.Mauled/

#2 ·
We had a big discussing about this on "another" board. There were many people that believe pit bulls are not inherently dangerous. I say that is a load of bull. They were breed to kill period. Anyone that owns a pit bull is at risk of being mauled IMO.

Oh and to answer your question, its like the old saying, placement is key. I believe a well placed shot of any caliber .32 and up behind the ear or between the eyes will stop any dog.

G
#3 ·
In another life, I trained perimeter dogs for the Air Force. No vocal cords, no human contact allowed. Handlers were fully suited. Don't ask me how I know this stuff, please...

Nine Mil high cap with jacketed hollow points in one hand, knife in other. As they come at you drop down low but keep your footing. If your right-handed...Give them a target to aim for, lead with your left forearm (try to draw them into biting you there), with your knife hand holding the hilt of the knife and the knife angled down, forward cutting edge in their direction. They will focus on the bite point first and foremost. Follow with gun in your right hand and as they come in for the focused bite ~ hand feed them the knife, let loose with the 9mm point blank. If one is still coming, slash back with the knife before contact. If one makes contact, place the barrel in it's boiler-room area and pull the trigger. Try to keep your chin down. Body position leaning forward, squared to the rush...you need to be able to absorb a hard hit and stay on your feet. Most of the time they hit the brakes if your low to the ground, if your to high they go up and hit you full force.

G
#5 ·
No movie Moon ;)

But it was my job....and I've been in a position a couple of hundred times to figure out what they think. It's alot different with these dogs then the standard Police K-9's that we trained. Those dogs are obedience trained, and can be called out. The Perimeter dogs have no such distinctions, they are silent killers and do not get called off the attack. They have no handler. After you've worked with them enough, you'll know what a real attack by a animal intent on killing you, is all about....These dogs mostly didn't start out this way. We made them this way....

Something I've regretted participating in, later in life. Nothing I'm proud to have done....I was just answering Geoff's question. What I gave was good advice.

Here's another pointer. If your standing full height and a dog is coming at you...You will draw the dog in as you drop and lower your center of gravity. It increases their focus, and this is when you need to present them with a bite target...we use to use the bag on our arm for this. Another point, different breeds will bite and hold ~ if your shaking the point of the bite.....Others will bite, release ~ and bite again, and again. Some dogs have a rage factor and those are the most dangerous ones....they just mentally disconnect.

giz

#6 ·
Good advice, Giz.

Geoff, as you know, I work in the woods all the time. I am almost always armed these days when in the woods. Not because of bear, or even two legged predators, although they are both good reasons to go armed in the woods. No, for me it is dogs. I can not tell you how many times I have been in the woods and approached aggressively by dogs. Sometimes close to civilization and often out in the middle of several hundred acres. I have not had to shoot one yet but I will if I think I need to. One took a strong kick to its side and decided better of it, one took a cruising stick to the snout and changed it's mind. One very large Rotty cross-breed turned and ran away at the sound and sight of a 38 hitting the ground right in front of it. It didn't go far though. It shadowed me for an hour before it decided I was too much trouble.

I love dogs and they generally get along well with me when I am around them in civilization.

#7 ·
I don't doubt that. I have had a few run ins with very aggressive, snarling dogs in the woods myself. Nobody around, and they show up out of nowhere. Not sure what was up with them. Like you I have even drawn on them, they were that aggressive.

#8 ·
Giz, That's an important point! ;) A Pit Bull will bite, then shake it's prey, but will not let go.......much like a a croc. They have the killer instinct.

Most dogs will bite.....and then release....and bite again. That's what makes the pit bull so bad. :roll: Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.