+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lemat revolver

Member #
    Liked
    1616 times

Lemat revolver

I got an offer on a Lemat reproduction revolver tonight. I am not sure which version it is, Army, Navy, or Cav (I always liked the look of the Cav personally). The owner has never shot it, it is still in the box, there is just one little wear spot in the bluing on the cylinder that has been touched up with cold blue. Is $375 good for this? I have always liked the Lemat but are they finicky at all with the nine shot cylinder and shotgun barrel?
    "No people in the world ever did achieve their freedom by goody-goody talk and moral suasion: it being immutable law that all revolutions that will succeed must being in blood, whatever may answer afterward."
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2968 times

Re: Lemat revolver

David, I've owned two. The first was the Navy and I had the top portion of the hammer break. There is a little lever that allows you to pivot the tip of the hammer down in order to strike the shotgun nipple. The way this is made, there is a portion of the hammer in the middle that pivots, leaving two "ears" which are rather thin. These are a little frail and mine broke.

I returned it in exchange for the Army model in which the entire tip portion of the hammer pivots, rather than simply the middle portion.........

You know what, I don't know if this is making any sense. Let's just say that I feel the Army model (same as the Cav model except for the trigger guard) hammer is a stronger design than the Navy Model - in my experience anyway.

The only problems I have come across are ......
    1. Anything more than about 22gr of BP (or Pyrodex) is gonna make the loading lever flip up. Kind of like the loading lever on a Walker dropping down. Nothing more than a small pain in the rear.
    2. I once was shooting my LeMat and Ruger Old Army. I made the mistake of not paying attention and used the .457 balls in the LeMat and bent the loading lever a bit. It uses .454 balls. The Ruger uses .457.

Other'n that it's incredibly accurate, moreso than any other BP pistol I've owned.

I've never shot the shotgun bbl as, well, I just never have.

Seeing as how Navy Arms no longer offers them from what I can tell, it seems the only place to get one is from Dixie Gun Works. They're going for around $800.00 now. You can get replacement parts for them through Dixie as well (like a replacement loading lever ).

I got mine from a friend as a gift when Navy Arms was blowing them out for around $350.00 about 10 years ago. If it's in good shape and an Army model (or better yet, the Cav model - they do look good!), I'd get it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I've always wanted one of these. At roughly half the price of a new one, I'd certainly go for it. If you don't like it, you can probably sell it for a profit.

Member #
    Liked
    1616 times

Yeah, it turns out that after I pm'ed the guy (I did it soon as I saw the posting) that apparently I was 9th in line. Oh well, you can't win them all.
    "No people in the world ever did achieve their freedom by goody-goody talk and moral suasion: it being immutable law that all revolutions that will succeed must being in blood, whatever may answer afterward."
    Mark Twain

Links