+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    303 times

Paper Cartridges for a .36 Navy

Slash's excellent pictorials on paper cartridges for muskets and Sharps encouraged me to make up a kit for making .36 cal. paper cartridges for my 1851 Navy Colt. Steps and materials are the same, so excuse my shameless copying!

For the .36 Navies, you'll need to make a cardboard template 3 1/2"x 1 1/2" with a 45 deg. diagonal sliced off -- to consistently cut the proper size pieces of 'phonebook paper. also, make up a 4" section of 3/8" hardwood dowel with the end routed out.

Wrap the paper snugly around the dowel.

Tuck the excess into the hollowed-out end.

You now have a paper cartridge case!

Charge the case with black powder - my revolver requires exactly 27 gr. FFFG for these paper cartridges. You can use a pistol-charging flask...

.....or speed things up with a black powder powder measure by charging them just as you would metallic cases.

Neatly and carefully fold over the other end of the paper "cartridge case" and seal with a dab of Elmer's paste.

Note: At this point, you can choose to load these charged paper cases into the revolver cylinders and add a ball or conical on top (my preference!) - or you can attach them with a dab of Elmer's. If you do, attach the projectile on the end you tucked into the end of the dowel. A round ball will perch right in that depression until the glue dries.

Member #
    Liked
    303 times

Loading the revolver with the paper cartridges

Now you can load the C&B revolver with the "cartridges". Unless you have squished the cartridge out-of-round, they will slide right into the chamber - but you have to start 'em here where there is plenty of workin' room. After you slide it in as far as it will go, then rotate the cylinder and seat the ball to the depth you would normally when charging from a flask.

After all 6 chambers have been loaded and lubricated as usual, take a small paper clip and poke it through each of the 6 nipples to puncture the rear of the paper cartridge.

You probably don't need to do this when using nitrated paper, but it insures reliability when using the 'phonebook pages. I had a couple of balky shots before I added this step.

NOTE: My own preference is to make up a batch of the little fully-charged paper cylinders and add the ball on top as a separate step. It speeds up the loading process considerably -- they conveniently drop right in like the little Pyrodex pellets.

Last week, I loaded and fired all 50 of the fully-loaded cartridges and about 30 more without the ball attached before the fouling got the best of the revolver and I had to dismantle it for cleaning.

If some of the "cartridges" get flattened and don't want to slide right in, you can resize them. I made this paper cartridge resizer out of a .38 Special case, a nail, and a piece of dowel.

Ready to go shooting!

xtm

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2002 times

Re: Paper Cartridges for a .36 Navy

Awesome! Tanks for posting.

Gizamo

Great stuff....and the finished product looks awesome...

If you go to the kids section of any major store (WalMart, Kmart, etc..) you'll find craft glue that is sold in a dispensor. The glue is solid and is used to stick paper together. You have to rub it to dispense it. I use this on the edge of my paper to really hold it together tight. After it dries you basically have a cylinder....

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

WOW! Nicely done! I have not tried that yet with my revolvers.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Nice trick, does the gun fowl faster due to the paper residue?

Member #
    Liked
    303 times

Quote Originally Posted by Barksdale123
    ...does the gun foul faster due to the paper residue?
    No, I don't think so. So far, I haven't been bothered with either paper residue or setting the grass on fire.

When assembling the paper "cartridges" using 'phonebook pages, you need to use the absolute least amount required to make a sturdy cylinder. Using the minimal amount along with a full charge of "real" FFFG black powder assures that the package will be consumed before it leaves the barrel. All bets are off if you try to use too much paper or Pyrodex (or one of the "others").

Several times, I've tried to load and shoot 100 paper cartridges before the cylinder binds up too much and must be disassembled and cleaned before continuing. I've almost made it to 90.

xtm

Links