+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    305 times

Remington No.3 Rifle (Hepburn Action)

I've mentioned before that I haven't bought any firearms for several years. I thought I had nearly all I wanted or needed ...until this one walked in the front door this morning.

Remington Hepburn #3 - most of the blue is still remaining as is most of the faded case colors - only a few dings in the quarter-sawn walnut stock - it sports a half octagon 28" barrel, pistol grip, with checkering, and is stamped .40 2 1/2 on the bottom of the barrel (.40-70 Sharps Straight). Bore is near perfect. It has a serial number below 750, so I'm fairly certain the rifle was made during the 1st year of production (1880).

Photo of the open falling block action:

Copied from an original Remington calalog, "The New Model No.3 Remington rifle is especially designed for long range hunting and target purposes, requiring the use of heavy charges. It has a solid breechblock with direct rear support, convenient side lever action and rebounding hammer so that the arm always stands with the trigger in the safety notch, rendering premature discharge impossible....."

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Remington No.3 Rifle (Hepburn Action)

WOW! Me Likey!

You win 30 internetz! Nice photography,too!

Gizamo

xtm,

That is one fine example of a No.3...
    Every original I've seen has been modified with additional target sights, elevators, globe front sights, etc.... Your gun appears to be all original. On top of that it has a great bore. Wood appears excellent and the muted case coloring is still evident.

What a great find. I'm not as familiar with the barrel material from the early 1880's...is that a nickel steel barrel?

giz

Member #
    Liked
    494 times

WOW!!!!!! That is sweet!!!!!!
    US Army Retired 1976-1997

Member #
    Liked
    305 times

Thanks fellas!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizamo
    xtm,
    I'm not as familiar with the barrel material from the early 1880's...is that a nickel steel barrel?

giz
    No, only the very last of the Hepburn production had nickle steel when Remington offered the No. 3 High Power Rifle chambered for .30-30, .30-40, .32 Special, and a few other cartridges. Lead alloy bullets only in this one.... but that doesn't bother me since I already have the proper .40 cal mould.

If this one turns out to be a fine shooter, it may be the one I take on the narrow gauge up to Rangeley.....

Several more pics before I start cleaning it up later this week. The wood is very dark and covered with decades of crud - ditto the internals:

View of the left side and the early Remington-pattern steel buttplate. (Remington's idea of de-horning the #$%& prongs from the standard crescent buttplate was a great concept that never caught on with any other company!)

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

+1

Member #
    Liked
    305 times

Quote Originally Posted by bobw
    ....As I understand it most folks shooting these with grease groove bullets use the 30-40 Krag stretched and reformed or a neck reamed 405 Win (Hornady brass).... bobw
    Hey Bob,

How can I "stretch" Krag brass? I have some expanded Krag brass and it fits perfectly in this chamber, but is a bit too short by ~1/4". The fired .405 brass I have on hand is too large just above the base to chamber all the way.

I have a goodly amount of .40-70 brass dedicated for a Marlin Ballard rifle, but it has a much larger chamber and I'm not gonna use any of it in this one. It wouldn't last very long getting overworked like that. Once my single shot brass is fireformed, I don't even like to neck size.

Here are some of the .40 cal. loading tools I've accumulated:

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

+1

Member #
    Liked
    305 times

bobw,

Thanks for increasing my knowledge on "stretching" brass. I've always formed my own brass here in my shop, and just couldn't imagine how I would perform that trick on my own.

About Bertram brass...I bought several boxes of it back in the early 1990s for an uncommon British cartridge. It worked OK for a few loadings, but the primer pockets enlarged to the point where primers could be seated with my thumb. I think that it wasn't properly anealed and was much too soft. I haven't bought any more Bertram brass since then - but surely they've corrected that error.

xtm

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Links