+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Liked
    886 times

IDF M14 (Now M1A)

One of the less common variations of the M1A is the Israeli Defense Forces M1A. How these came about is kind of interesting. How Israel got the M14s to begin with was even more interesting.

After the Six Day war in 1967 there was a French led weapons embargo placed on Israel. Because of this, Israel had to rely on other suppliers (USA) and started their own weapons development. The US sent 35,000 M14's to Israel in 1973 when the Yom Kippur war broke out. After the Yom Kippur war Israel spec'd every one of the M14's, and the 10,000 best ones were converted to the IDF sniper weapon. The remaining M14s were taken down for parts. The M14 with an attached 6x Nimrod scope was the Israeli Sniper Weapons System through 1997.

In the mid 1990's Israel decided to go with a bolt action Mauser as their SWS. This led to having a bunch of M14s that were going to be surplussed.

I am not sure how Springfield Armory ended up with the guns, but they did. They brought the guns, minus the receivers (once a machine gun always a machine gun), back into the US and had a special receiver with the Star of David and special serial numbers along with a NM barrel put on the guns for sale to the general public. They also came with the Israeli stock, which is a synthetic stock with a comb riser that screws onto the stock. It looks funky, but works quite well. If you want to use irons you just unscrew the riser. With this system you don't have to worry about getting a lace on pad tight or positioned the same every time.

They were shipped with an Israeli carry case, a Nimrod 6x scope, US Field Manual on the M14, and 2 magazines and a Harris bipod. There was also a certificate of authenticity sent along with the rifle. The single point IDF scope mount is the most stable single pont mount I have ever used and it repeats zero very well after removal and replacement.

Mine will shoot right at 1 MOA, sometimes less with the right ammo and if I hold my tongue right. The best I have ever done was a 5 shot group at appx .75 MOA.

The IDF has used many guns over the years for their SWS, K98 Mausers (both 8mm and 7.62mm), M14s, M24s (Rem 700), a bolt action Mauser, and some others. I have seen pics of a supressed 10/22 being used in an urban setting.

Pic of the scope reticle looking at a lamp a few feet away. 3 coarse lines that become fine and the fine line for the upper part of the vertical line. A range finder on the bottom.

bob
    (who is glad to see I can log in again and this subforum)

ETA: Here is a post from somewhere else from some time ago:

Hi xxxx,

The IDF (Israeli Defense Force) rifles originally had full auto receivers which were removed and destroyed in Israel. Newly produced receivers were then used to assemble these parts into rifles. The new receivers had special markings and serial numbers. A Star of David is engraved below the special serial number (IDFxxx). Various other parts had Hebrew markings too.
    We also installed national match medium weight barrels on them.
    There were less than 600 of these rifles made.

Thanks,

Lisa McCallister
    Springfield Armory
    1-800-617-6729 or
    1-309-944-8973
    fax: 309-944-8490
    lisa@springfield-armory.com
    Last edited by Bob R; 01-13-2012 at 11:57 PM.
    Build a man a fire and he will be warm for the night, but set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2981 times

Re: IDF M14 (Now M1A)

Very interesting!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Bob that was a great post! I know I'm going to learn a lot on this new forum.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2655 times

I really like that! And a great bit of history, well written. I like these rifle tremendously (all M14/M1A) but would have to save all my gun money for a couple of years to get my hands on one.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7809 times

Very nice M1A!

Glad to see that you are able to log in again...welcome back!
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

That's a very unusual scope mount - nothing like the typical SE or Basset types. It's a tall one!

m58
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Here is another one posted on another website. Looks really nice.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=6&t=315882
    Front sight.......Front sight.......Front sight.....

Links