A simple voyage into a gun locker goes past the stops!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: A simple voyage into a gun locker goes past the stops!

Member #
    Liked
    18731 times

Wink A simple voyage into a gun locker goes past the stops!

Having purchased a new gun, I decided earlier to find a spot in one of my locking cabinets to store it when not being carried, simple enough. It would be simple if I ignored everything else and simply found a space, but no, that would be too easy! The first thing I notice is the desiccant container is showing pink and that's not good, so I open up all of my cabinets and remove the containers for a trip to the oven. That's when I find a handful of spare magazines, most of which I immediately identify, but there was the inevitable; "What does this go to?"! So I dig around and find its owner, then decide to mark it with a Sharpie for future reference. Why are so many of these unused mags full of ammo doing nothing more than weakening the springs? Probably loaded to use on a range trip that never happened; unload all of them and find boxes to store the rounds….find a place to store the ammo boxes. Why do I have two pistols without a protective silicone sock? Because I don't have any extra silicone socks, so I go out to a box in the garage full of old clean cotton socks with holes that make great dust sleeves, mark that off the list!

I spot a plastic bag of something on the bottom of a long gun cabinet and have to move my Hi-Point 40 carbine to get to it, a fire starter kit (?), not sure how it got there, but cool, move it to another accessory shelf, noticing when I grabbed the carbine, the tactical light didn't turn on by the front handle 'touch pad', not good. Take the batteries out and test them, they appear good, replace them and miraculously they now work, but that means I have to test all the lights and Red Dots on all of my guns just to be sure. That completed I spy a slim box on top of some special handgun ammo and when I pull it out, the contents spill out onto the carpeted floor, CRAP, my laser bore sighting kit! Gather up all the parts and decide I need to test the batteries while I'm at it, good to go! Found a Crown Royal bag in the top shelf by another stack of loaded mags (AR-15 and 30 Cal rifle mags), what's in the bag? A half dozen old watches, including two gold plated pocket watches that my dad had before I was born and I had forgotten about them, nice find! Another cloth bag of new, but low quality tactical folding knives, items I've been given as door prizes or bonus offerings from mail order gun sites; again, something I'd forgotten. Found a bag of old various 38 Special cartridges my dad had in numerous old ash trays around his house when he died and I packed up and threw them into a plastic ziploc bag. I spot checked a few guns in socks for any traces of rust and thankfully didn't find any, but on a Dan Wesson 357 fixed sight revolver, the stocks were very dry after I was forced to strip the glossy finish from a year ago after some gun cleaner got on them and made a mess. So, I didn't hesitate, put some wood oil on them and put it back into storage, back to whatever it was now that I had originally intended to do. Eventually I found a space for my new Ruger American to reside when I'm not carrying her, but it took me well over an hour and a half to do it! The desiccant containers are cooked and cooled, time to put them back in place, then lock everything up. Not exactly what I had planned today for entertainment, but all in all, not such a bad way to burn some time on a Sunday afternoon!
    “So son, explain again exactly why there’s a stripper in your bedroom?"

Member #
    Liked
    4386 times
    Believe me you're not alone.
    Blackcloud2, jeepnut, g17 and 1 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2226 times
    Sounds like a busy afternoon. Geez all I did was take a nap.
    Blackcloud2 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    SmithAndWessonForums.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Looks like you found some forgotten treasure , I always end up cleaning out a cabinet or closet to find something
    Blackcloud2 and jeepnut like this.

Member #
    Between Elephant Breath MT. and Squaw's Ankle N.M.
    Liked
    12903 times
    Beats sitting staring at a computer monitor......
    The more I'm around people, the more I like sheep, and I hate sheep.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Northern CA - SF East Bay and/or Springfield, OR
    Liked
    3752 times
    Rediscovered treasures... that always happens to me whenever I go to look for something I that I need now.

Find what I'm looking for that's needed now? Heck no... I find all the stuff that I needed 6 months ago (or more), that I couldn't find any traces of when I was searching for it back then. So then those postponed projects now get moved back to the front burner to work on and the project that I was working on, well... gets put on the back burner, until I find whatever it was I needed for it... 6 months from now, when I'm looking for something else.

I beginning to suspect it's all a plot by my wife to drive me into "the home".
    Last edited by gunhacker; 03-19-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    jeepnut and Blackcloud2 like this.
    Conrad

NRA Endowment Member
    S&WCA #1830
    S&WHF #222
    Hopeless lifetime S&W Junkie
    Chronic "Marlinitis" sufferer

Member #
    Liked
    7330 times
    Yep. Know the feeling. I update and check everything at least once a year. I schedule for a rainy day as it literally takes all day. Then when you find that gun that didn't remember, that just amazes me. However, It never crosses my mind I have too many. I just need to go to the range more.
    Blackcloud2 likes this.
    Regards,
    Rodney

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."

Thomas Paine

Member #
    Liked
    10408 times
    At least you didn't forget your original purpose for being in there in the first place!

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20693 times
    Stacy, thanks so very much for this post.
    I've been looking all over the house for a set of Altamont grips that I couldn't find no matter how hard I looked.
    You mentioned digging out a Crown Royal bag in your post and voila, now I remember where the grips are. I put them in my Crown Royal bag and put it in the storage closet.

You're simply amazing. Almost like Karmac!

Thanks again,
    Gregory

P.S. Dog gone it, I found the Crown Royal bag, but the grips weren't in there after all. The quest continues!
    Last edited by gearchecker; 03-19-2017 at 07:59 PM.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    8534 times
    " Dog gone it, I found the Crown Royal bag, but the grips weren't in there after all. The quest continues!"

Dang! the only thing I have in a Crown Royal bag is .... Crown Royal. Don't drink it myself, so can't even remember who I brought it in for. Man, I gotta get a grip!!
    Last edited by sdismukes; 03-20-2017 at 01:19 AM.
    Any government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have.--- Thomas Jefferson

A gun is like a parachute... If you need one and don't have one, you'll never need one again.

911 Response time: 600 seconds-plus. 1911 response time: 900 feet per second.

US Navy, Vietnam Vet, NRA Life Member, Hook'em Horns!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links