+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    423 times

Winchester lever-action 30-30

Ok .. my desire for a 1911 is strong, but my cash position is weak. I'm having a difficult time justifying spending 700+ for a good, solid 1911. The local dealer has a Sig 1911 TTT for $900 that I keep drooling over every time I walk in there.

However, my dealer has two Winchester 30-06 lever actions for around $350. Any tips on what to look for?? They look something like an 1892 short, but I haven't handled them and don't know for sure.

And don't get started on bolt and magazine guns. I would like a lever action for the same reason I love my revolvers. There is just something about shooting a lever action rifle I prefer.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Re: Winchester lever-action 30-06

What models of Winchester lever guns in .30-06 are you looking at? To my knowledge, Winchester only ever made the model 1895 in .30-06, and the new reproductions of those are over $1k new. Do you mean .30-30?
    Ken@the River
    S&WCA #1959

Member #
    Liked
    423 times

Maybe .... these are used guns though, not new. I know that new S&W model 15 are also priced over $1K, but I bought a used one a few months ago for around $300. It was a shooter, which is what I intend to do with the rifle, so appearance isn't as important as function to me.

Iron sights and milk jugs is all I intend to do with it.

It would be kinda neat though to see if I could mount it on the Goldwing. Hmmmm......I can ride without any hands for quite some distance, even around curves. Anyone know where I can go hunting from the road???
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Member #
    Liked
    423 times

Ok .. after look at some photos, there were 30-30s.

Gizamo

A great caliber. Not sexy to the general public and some gunhacks...but the one caliber that's put more deermeat on the table - than any other...least up here in Maine.

Would make a good companion to that model15....

Member #
    Liked
    3186 times

The .30-30 is a good, and fairly cheap, shorter range (under 200 yds.), round. It's just about perfect for a lever action with iron sights (Peep sights are superior ) I have a Williams on my Winchester 94, but Drew will chime in that .....They ain't no good! He seems to favor a Lyman or Redfield. Well...that's great....if you have the bucks!$$$

If you choose a Marlin, you can mount a low powered scope, but when I did it, many years ago, I felt it made the handy rifle, heavy and awkward to carry. I traded it off!

Then, I saw a Winchester 94 for a good price. I never looked back. It has a lot of fascinating history behind it!!! It's a nice, quality, rifle. (Not that a Marlin isn't. )Bob
    When you want the BEST! Bob

Member #
    Liked
    6412 times

John,

Above is my Dad's Winchester "thuddy-thuddy".
    He's gone home to Glory and his deer rifle came to me.
    Made in 1964, it's responsible for my first taste of venison and it's taken more than a few groudhogs, but they're not near as tasty(!)
    It shows some surface rust on the receiver and I understand that can be common amongst the breed. He used a fixed Weaver 9x scope when hunting, the off-set mount let it eject with no probs.
    I take it out about once every 2 years, with the buckhorn rear and hooded front sights, it's still potent medicine at 100-300 yards. It has, roughly, equivalent power to the AK-47, kicks about the same.

Mike

My Oath, taken in 1973, to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic, stands.

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12985 times

John,
    the 30-30 is the perfect rifle fro bush hunting. Close quarters heavy brush. It's small enough the you can swing one around just about anywhere you'll need to shoot it. Up here just about everybody has at least one 30-30. I've even got one. They're one of the best all around rifle designs you will come accross. A good 30-30 can easily put 3 rounds inside a 2" ring hand held at 100 yds., and most will place them inside a 1" ring from a bench. The price is pretty good too at $350.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Member #
    Liked
    13345 times

Manhunter Tom Horn loved the "new" .30-30 Winchester, as did a lot of other well-known shooters... that should say it all. A model 94 Winchester in good condition runs in the $300 range in this part of the globe; a Marlin costs about the same. Both also come in a variety of calibers such as: .357, .45, .44. I have carried a .45 M94 "Trapper" model (shorter barrel) in my Jeep for years.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment & buy one" Jesus - Luke 22:36

Member #
    Liked
    423 times

'Nuff said. I think I'll put off the more expensive guns.

So .. anything I should know about reloading now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links