Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Volunteers needed

Member #
    Liked
    10377 times

Volunteers needed

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED.

J. W. Grant has made a contract with Henry “Rico”Fardan, a former Rough Rider with Roosevelt and a veteran of the Philippine campaign who has fought as a soldier of fortune and tactician for one of Poncho Villa’s officers in Mexico. Also recruited were Hans Ehrengard an expert with horses and mules, Jake Sharp reputed to be the best tracker in the territory and an expert with the bow and arrow. Also Bill Dolworth, a dynamiter was brought in to give this small band an edge. – The mission: To rescue W.T. Grant’s wife Maria who has been kidnapped by Jesus Rasa, the bandit/revolutionary who Rico Fardan worked for during the Mexican revolution. Rasa is holding Maria for $100,000 ransom. Grant is offering each man $1,000 going in and if Maria is turned over to him unharmed another nine thousand dollars per man.

The plan is to slip a small force across the border into Mexico at night unobserved and make their way stealthily to Rasa’s stronghold and then using dynamite sticks tied to arrows, Jake Sharp will shoot these missiles to divert the banditos into believing they are under attack by the Federales, while Dolworth sets off larger dynamite explosions for a diversion. Fardan will try to grab Maria in the confusion – BUT, he will need covering fire by expert gunslingers to cover his retreat and slow pursuers, that’s why he needs us.

We will have to supply our own arms and ammunition for this rescue, the year is 1916, so your choice of arms will have to fall into what was available during 1916.

Here is my choice : Handgun a Triple Lock.

My long gun: A Winchester 1907 351 caliber self loader with extra 10 round magazines.

What would your choice be?

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7813 times
    My choices:

Colt 1911.
    Winchester 1897 military configuration and 00 buckshot. Bayonet will be carried but only used if needed.
    I can not abide useless people.

The only way Obama can become a bigger idiot is by gaining weight.

Member #
    Liked
    10377 times
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyZXZ View Post
    My choices:

Colt 1911.
    Winchester 1897 military configuration and 00 buckshot. Bayonet will be carried but only used if needed.
    Yeah Wendy, I'm guessing you saw the 1966 movie. I had the great pleasure of sitting with Woody Strode in between takes of a movie he was doing and asked about the movie. He smiled and said the movie was made by professionals, Burt Lancaster, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, Jack Palance, Ralph Bellamy and himself. As he put it "when making a movie 'time' is money and when you are to deliver your lines a pro is ready to deliver."

I don't have an original but here is a Chinese model-97 on top.

Regards, Hank

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13196 times
    Weren't Maria and Rasa lovers in that movie? I second Wendy's choices...
    Triplelock likes this.
    Guy

S&WCA #2629 | Ex-Navy Vietnam Vet. / Submariner | NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    10377 times
    Yeah, they were - The ending was somewhat unrealistic - I just had a hard time believing that these 4 men bumming around from job to job and acting as soldiers of fortune would be a sucker for love and walk away from $10,000. a piece in 1916. But Hollywood is Hollywood.

Still I liked the '07' Winchester little to no recoil semi-automatic fire, ten shots and a quick reload. I won't argue the 1911's; Fardan carried a Colt double action and a 1911.
    DocZeus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2071 times
    Lee Enfield .303
    Colt 1911
    Triplelock likes this.
    "A smart man believes only half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half!" -Jeff Cooper

Member #
    Liked
    1654 times
    Hum... I'd be using a C-96 w/ buttstock holster and lots of clips of ammo... and a 1903 Springfield for the long stuff.
    Triplelock likes this.
    "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people."
    "A desperate disease requires a dangerous remedy."

Member #
    Liked
    10377 times
    71 Chevrolet, if going with a bolt action the Enfield was a fast bolt action and ten rounds of real rifle bullets, pretty good choice.

Bruce, I thought the C-96 loaded with stripper clips, I think the fully automatic version had a magazine, but not sure. The 03- would definitely be a good weapon for open country and as you say for long shots.

I love my 03 Sringfield and thought about choosing it myself.

Hank
    Last edited by Triplelock; 01-22-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    132 times
    I would probably go with a pair of Colt SAAs and a 1911 and LeMat for backup. Riflewise I would probably carry a Henry 1860 and a 10 gauge Winchester 1887.
    Triplelock likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2071 times
    Had a hard time deciding on the Enfield or a 1903! Your Winchester would be hard to beat!!
    Triplelock likes this.
    "A smart man believes only half of what he hears, a wise man knows which half!" -Jeff Cooper

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links