+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: The six shot snub-nose

Member #
    Liked
    10632 times

The six shot snub-nose

Although the J-frame Chief's Special has been the choice for a back-up for LEO's, I always prefered the bigger K-frame six shot Military & Police revolver with a two inch barrel, although like others I did on occassion have a J-frame back-up. But because I always shot the bigger K-frame better I was willing to forego the concealibilty for the usefulness of the K-frame. In a moment of misguided desire to exchange my M&P for a Ruger Mini-14, to replace my 30 caliber carbine, I traded our dispatcher for his brand new Mini-14 even up. I replaced my very familiar M&P snub with a variety of auto pistols and small frame revolvers - But if hits are what counts, and I believe that to be true, I really missed my K-frame snub nose, I bought another and vowed to myself to never be without at least one - EVER!

So ladies and gents I invite you to show off your six shot snub nose revolvers or if you have a 5-shooter, show and tell why you prefer it to the six shot. Other brands than S&W are welcome, I liked my Colt Detective Special, but not as much as my M&P; just a strictly personal choice.

An older M&P

This is what I call my 'sawed-off' K-38 Masterpiece, more commonly referred to as a S&W Model 15-3 Combat Masterpiece.

Last edited by Triplelock; 05-31-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    Leighton, msharley, FlaRon and 5 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    494 times
    Like you, I've messed up an got rid of my K-frame snub(actually three) over the past three or so years. So after looking an searching I found what I want to fill that gap. I ran across her a couple of days ago on GB, and threw a bid at her not really expecting to win(these tend to go for more), and figured I would have to look around some more. Well I won her, so she's the one that will ride along with my 640ND. Besides I was needing something to load my Winchester 145gr SilverTips in!!!

S&W Model 65 357 Magnum : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
    Triplelock likes this.
    US Army Retired 1976-1997

Site Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    13252 times
    Here's mine. It's a model 19-4 2".
    I had a 19-3 but I traded it off in a moment of insanity. It took me a little over a year to get my hnds on this one as a replacement. When I got it, the revolver was unfired. I couldn't bring myself to shoot it because it was pristine, without so much as a turn line on the cylinder. I went to the range with a friend, gave her 6 rounds and asked her to load the revolver and shoot those 6 shots for me. She wondered why, but did it for me anyway. Once those six shots were over with I told her thanks and proceeded to empty a box of fresh ammo with it.
    I was aused gun now. I've enjoyed shooting it ever since.
    My Moldel 19-4 snubby:

Regards,
    Gregory
    FlaRon, DocZeus and WendyZXZ like this.
    Teach them the truth, and let them sort thru the cobwebs of liberalism that have infested their minds.
    When the time comes that I don't want a new gun, call the undertaker!
    When they come for your guns, give them the ammo first!
    .45 ACP, Because shooting twice is just plain silly!

http://www.corneredcat.com
    http://www.takdriver.com

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10483 times

Cool

My sentimental favorite is my 1977 K-Frame Model 10 "Strictly Business". She was Cerakoted because of the severe pitting on her exterior surface but inside is a heart of pure reliability.

Name:  Image 1.jpg
Views: 1654
Size:  54.6 KB
    click image to enlarge....

My 1974 Colt Detective Special "Little Filly" was rescued from a pawn shop. A little rough on the outside she is tight and right on the inside.

Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 1620
Size:  102.8 KB

My mint 1983 Model 60 "Shady Lady" is the newest member of the group and the smallest of the snubbies. Easy on the eyes and easy to conceal.

Name:  Image.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  102.9 KB

My Ruger SP-101 .357 "Rough Stuff" was a great value at an estate sale a few years ago. When loaded with 125 grain magnums she is a force to be reckoned with on both ends of the muzzle.

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  102.8 KB

For me the Holy Grail is the Model 66 2 1/2" round butt which I hope to obtain in the near future.

Then again a Model 19 built the same would be acceptable.

The L and N frames are just a tad to big for my skinny butt to conceal well here in the warmer regions of Florida.

Regards,

FlaRon
    Last edited by FlaRon; 05-31-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    "But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."
    John Adams, July 17, 1775

"When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty".
    Thomas Jefferson

"Blessed be the Lord my strength,which teacheth my hands to war,and my fingers to fight". Psalm 144:1

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer". T.Larkin

Member #
    Liked
    10632 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighton View Post
    Like you, I've messed up an got rid of my K-frame snub(actually three) over the past three or so years. So after looking an searching I found what I want to fill that gap. I ran across her a couple of days ago on GB, and threw a bid at her not really expecting to win(these tend to go for more), and figured I would have to look around some more. Well I won her, so she's the one that will ride along with my 640ND. Besides I was needing something to load my Winchester 145gr SilverTips in!!!

S&W Model 65 357 Magnum : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
    Well done, Leighton, - My personal opinion is - every S&W aficianado should have a 3 inch model-65 or model-13.
    Last edited by Triplelock; 05-31-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    10632 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gearchecker View Post
    Here's mine. It's a model 19-4 2".
    I had a 19-3 but I traded it off in a moment of insanity. It took me a little over a year to get my hnds on this one as a replacement. When I got it, the revolver was unfired. I couldn't bring myself to shoot it because it was pristine, without so much as a turn line on the cylinder. I went to the range with a friend, gave her 6 rounds and asked her to load the revolver and shoot those 6 shots for me. She wondered why, but did it for me anyway. Once those six shots were over with I told her thanks and proceeded to empty a box of fresh ammo with it.
    I was aused gun now. I've enjoyed shooting it ever since.
    My Moldel 19-4 snubby:

Regards,
    Gregory
    When it comes to an easy packin, powerful and adjustable sight trail gun, your model-19 is tough to beat. I am glad to hear your putting it to good use, Gregory.

Member #
    Liked
    10632 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaRon View Post
    My sentimental favorite is my 1977 K-Frame Model 10 "Strictly Business". She was Cerakoted because of the severe pitting on her exterior surface but inside is a heart of pure reliability.

Attachment 6234

My 1974 Colt Detective Special "Little Filly" was rescued from a pawn shop. A little rough on the outside she is tight and right on the inside.

Attachment 6235

My mint 1983 Model 60 "Shady Lady" is the newest member of the group and the smallest of the snubbies. Easy on the eyes and easy to conceal.

Attachment 6236

My Ruger SP-101 .357 "Rough Stuff" was a great value at an estate sale a few years ago. When loaded with 125 grain magnums she is a force to be reckoned with on both ends of the muzzle.

Attachment 6237

For me the Holy Grail is the Model 66 2 1/2" round butt which I hope to obtain in the near future. I know the model-10 is your 'sentimental favorite', but how does it compare with the Colt as a shooter?

Then again a Model 19 built the same would be acceptable.

The L and N frames are just a tad to big for my skinny butt to conceal well here in the warmer regions of Florida.

Regards,

FlaRon
    Some nice shootin irons Ron. I liked the double action trigger on my K-frame better than the action on my Colt Detective Special, thus my preference, but the Colt was a bit smaller and still a quality snub nose. You already know I prefer the "K" to the "J" but I have a few Jays - Never have shot the Ruger-SP-101.

Member #
    Liked
    10632 times
    Here is a "FIRST" . . . My first 357 snub nose - My first adjustable sight snub nose - My first stainless steel snub nose. This is a model 66-1, with pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. A snub nose that can shoot both 38 Specials and 357 Magnums with adjustable sights offers much versatility.

Hank
    USAMP, gearchecker, FlaRon and 3 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    11728 times
    Well , I reckon I can drag a few lil' fellas out into the light of the day .

Some of them like to sleep in ya know .

I have some stainless guns , I have some nickel guns , but when it comes to SNUBBIE time , it's BLUE all the way .

A Model 19 , 2 1/2 " , that gets carried quite a bit .
    Name:  DSCN4910.jpg
Views: 2219
Size:  94.5 KB

A Colt Lawman Mk III .
    Name:  DSCN4910.jpg
Views: 5925
Size:  94.8 KB

A Colt Detective Special .
    Name:  DSCN5034.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  104.8 KB

A Model 10 , 2" .
    Name:  DSCN4991.jpg
Views: 2453
Size:  91.8 KB

Regards ,
    George
    Last edited by georgepittenger; 05-31-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    First line of defense , my faithful Pit - don't mess with Mr. Kane !

Lovin' it here in N. Ga - I wasn't born here , but I got here as fast as I could .

Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    I prefer the 5 shot s&w j-frame snub-nose revolver over 6 shot snub-nose revolvers they just feel better in my hands and the models that i like are the s&w model 36 and the s&w model 60 with a 3 inch
    barrel unfortunately at the present time i don't own either of these two snub-nose revolvers but i am doing my best to save up for them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links